What's new

New coil and eliquid going brown or black within hours

Sounds like you’re burning the coils out and the blackness is the colour leaking out from the coil.

when you put a new coil in do you start at a lower wattage and then gradually build up the wattage?

have you tried to see whether you have the same problem with a different juice?

Yes, as I said in my post I did try building up from a lower wattage and using different flavours and brand juices. Unfortunately, flavours that resisted going brown quite as quickly were ones I didn't like as much, so weighing it up, they didn't suit my preference any better. I'm now in search for a similar flavour with less sweeteners.

:hello:and :welcome1:to the planet.
Sorry i cant help you much as i dont use stock coils myself but i can recommend a company that do very good juices and that is Prime Vapes a lot of us on here use their own brand of juices take a look and hopefully you might find something you will like.

It's good to hear a trusted brand from more vapers. I'll definitely have a look at some Prime Vapes flavours to give a go, thanks!

Hi @Seb Johnson and welcome to the planet.

years ago smok were ok until they started flooding the market with a new mod or tank almost every week. since then their QC when down the pan and coils for the past couple of years have been hit or miss and some lucky to last a day. last tank i used was tfv4. i did buy the tfv8 and gave it away within a couple of days.
there are also shit tons of fake coils out their so best never worth buying from ebay or amazon unless they are linked to a well know shop.

if your juice is quite sweet and has a lot of sweetner in it then that would be the only other thing that would make the juice go dark especially at the wowza wattage you are using.
i have many coils that are rated 80-120watt but im quite happy using them at 50-60watts and get plenty of flavour and cloud. even at this wattage the coil is black after a day or two.

you mention you prime new coil and start at a lower wattage. what wattage is that you start at. for me its at least half the wattage i will finally vape at. in my old crown 1 & 2 tanks i vape at 50watts but start at 25w. you will get no flavour or cloud but the coil is still heating up inside so slowly burning it in. turn up a watt every couple of puffs so it builds up the coil heat slowly and the coil should last longer. most prob will still see dark juice after the first day though.

when you do decide to upgrade one of the best tanks for flavour out there is the freemax mesh pro which a lot on here use and rate highly.

hopefully others will be along to advise soon.

edit

just reread your post. adding nic shots wont oxodize that quickly but you do need to shake the shite out of the bottle until your arm almost drops off. the more shaking the better and then let settle. can take a couple of hours for the bubbles to settle. some people shake the bottle every time they fill their tanks but i dont bother doing that.

edit of edit

even at 50watts i average 30-50ml a day. my main vape is custards but ive got at least 15-20 different makes so even if i vape custards all day ive never had vapours tongue in over 6 years.
i do change to fruits for a few mins every couple of hours and have at least 10 kits with a different flavour in as rotation is the key.

there have been a few posts lately about stained teeth with the majority saying they have never been affected. strangely enough i have and its only my front top and bottom that are affected but a quick brush and its gone. im wondering if toothpaste used can affect people differently. i use a high fluride prescription toothpaste. i think this is a case of no one knows the answer to this one as of yet.

also this may come in handy for future reference POTV Vendors & Recommended E Liquid Suppliers

I agree, it's been hard to know what smok stuff is good anymore. I looked for alternative tanks and coils to try and there seem to be too many to choose from and most of it is already almost impossible to find in stock anymore. I also made the mistake of buying coils off Amazon and soon realized they were no good. Now I only buy them off proper websites or seller's that include authentication cards to prove they're real.

My favourite flavours do include sweeteners. The problem is I really like the flavour I guess if I can't get round the problem, I'll have to look for a similar flavour minus the sweeteners if they're any like that. I'll try Prime Vapes first like Bulldog1994 said

I suppose I have been trying to hard cloud chasing I've not paid enough attention to the fact 100W is probably too much for most juices and coils. I've gone back to my old mesh S1 (TFV8) coil for now which works at a lower wattage. The clouds aren't as big but I'm not getting the dark juice as quickly. My biggest problem is the dark juice tasting horrible. I don't mind the coil going black in a couple days if the juice still tastes good, with no burnt taste for around a week and I don't get that brown liquid coming out.

Well after priming and installing a new coil I'd do exactly that, going from about 50% or even 30% wattage and steadily increasing it. So if I worked my way up to 100W I'd start on something like 40W with small puffs until I get up to about 80-100W. Now I've gone to my S1, I don't go above 75W.

Okay, thanks, I really was looking for upgrade recommendations. Especially for tanks that have a range of coils that can do a reasonably high wattage and are mesh to distribute the heat better. I'll look up Freemax Mesh Pro tanks, maybe buy it with a couple different coils to try. Thanks

Thanks for clarifying on the oxidation. I knew I was probably getting a bit paranoid about how much I expose the juice, but I really was trying everything I could think of. Glad I don't need to worry about that too much. Also glad to hear I was doing the right thing by shaking the shit out of the juice that helps me rule out me doing anything wrong with handling the juice, and it may have all been a mix of my sweet flavour and high wattage. To be honest I do shake the bottle most times I top my tank up, but not religiously. More just like you may shake something like orange juice before a sip if you know what I mean haha.

30-50ml a day? Wow, I thought I was drinking the juice quick! Sorry, not sure what you mean by rotation is key? Can't tell whether you mean that helps the vape by rotating the flavours or whether that's just something you do to improve your experience? Part of the reason I don't mix flavours often is because I've heard using different ones on the same coil can have negative effects. I was never sure whether to believe that though.

Yeah, I never had the issue with stained teeth until I had this brown liquid coming out the coil and collecting in my mouthpiece and chimney. It did come off with a quick brush too, but my gut feeling is it's not good for you long term. After my girlfriend pointed it out on my teeth and compared it to smoking, but how I'm taking in huge lung-fulls compared to a mouth to lung hit from a cig, it made me worry about it. Some of its just, me but like you say, it could be one of those things that just don't know yet and I don't want to be that dude who's part of a scientist research project in 20 years, highlighting what you shouldn't do. It's just my gut feeling. That's why I've really been trying to avoid the brown liquid. I never thought about whether different toothpastes could effect this, that is a good question.

Thanks for the help dude!

Welcome to forum.

Have to say; most people come on here with one or two sentences and we have to spend a couple of pages going back and forth pulling more info out of them. Nice to see a post where the effort has been taken to give all the relevant info.

IMHO.... Looking at your pictures it seems you're simply cremating the additives in your juice and burning out your coils. With some juices it's unavoidable at such high wattage. As juice evaporates the colouring and the sweetener becomes more concentrated around the coil and this high concentration at very high wattage results in what you see happening to your coils and it's why you're seeing your juice darken. With some juices it's simply unavoidable at the wattage you're vaping.

As posted above, try Prime Vapes. Their juices are far better at staying clean and clear and not destroying coils like that. Alternatively, vape at a much lower power setting (might require a different tank / coil combo altogether). You certainly don't need to vape at 100w+ these days to produce huge clouds.

I've just ordered a couple of 10ml bottles of your juice just to see how it goes in one of my setups.

Thanks, I felt like the long-ass post was overkill, sorry haha. But yeah, I've read enough of threads where the poster didn't give enough information which leaves so many questions, and felt explaining all the details would make it easier for people to answer and get to the point!

After going through all these replies, I'm getting the same feeling. I changed to a weaker coil earlier and while I'll have to see how long it lasts, I'm not getting the problem as much. This threads definitely given me a few new goals. On top of looking at a new tank and coil to try, and some flavours from Prime Vapes, I suppose my new goal is to chase big rich clouds with out mindlessly cranking up the wattage! The added benefit being my battery lasts longer too.

That's great dedication to buy the same juice, I'm going to feel guilty if you don't like it bare in mind the juice I was using was 70:30 3mg, just because I've personally only found the same flavour at 10ml to be 50:50. If you get better results I'd be interested to hear you setup!

Thanks for the help :)

Great first post Seb, hope you stick around.

Others have covered the issue with your current tank.

On a suitable new tank I’d say first of all that you are better off with a rebuildable. You can adjust your coil spec to suit and dial in the set up you want. No gunk as you simply dry burn and rewick and if you want to vape at higher wattages and blow big clouds then there is a lot of excellent choice. The steamcrave series is excellent and the trilogy XL is a massive beast for clouds.

If it had to be stock coil you could look at the Uwell Valyrian 2 pro, which is built for pumping it out. I haven’t had a stock coil for ages but the Freemax Mesh Pro is a banger.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks, I think we'll all have questions from time to time, I'm sure I'll be sticking around :)

I really have considered rebuildables. The main reason I haven't gone down that route yet is because I've only been vaping for about 9-10months and didn't feel informed enough to confidently do everything correctly. I'm sure I'll give it a go in the future, and thanks to your recommendation I have a good place to start!

I only started vaping as a small habit since I already have many other time-consuming expensive hobbies like being a car enthusiast, mountain biker, gamer etc. I can already see my girlfriend laughing at me now for finding another hobby and building my own coils haha, but hey if it gets the results I want it'll be worth the effort! And yes, you're the second person to bring up the Freemax Mesh Pro, guess I'll be trying that next!

what i mean by rotation is the key is rotating to a different kit/tank with a different flavour in each so no risk of getting vapours tongue when you lose the taste of the juice and its like inhaling fresh air. ive never suffered with this in over 6 years as i keep changing flavours and dont stick to one flavour for hours if not days. we see a lot of this when new vapers only have one kit/tank.

the only problem when buying new tanks in the uk is they will only be 2ml in size. you will have to read on each website the size as some will offer a free bubble 5ml glass or you will have to buy the glass seperately.
post 5 on my above link has all the recommended hardware suppliers. the only way to be sure is to buy from china but this is slowing down now since paypal has been removed from majority of vape suppliers and i certainly wont be using my debit card with them as i dont own a credit card which gives some protection.

quick search
new vaping has 25% off using code APRIL
here is the mesh pro and coils https://www.newvaping.com/pages/search-results-page?q=freemax+mesh+pro

6ml glass 99p https://www.newvaping.com/products/freemax-mesh-pro-bulb-glass

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom