What's new

How To Tip for Tube Mech mod users.

BULLDOG1964

Legend
If you are like me and find some tube mech mods hard to grip i have tried vape bands and they dont work as they slip and look unsightly so found the perfect solution sticky back grip tape the type you see on steps i just got a sample length of 25mm x 1 meter for 99p on ebay .
Just cut the length you require peel off the backing paper and stick it around your tube and it works no more does your tube mech slip when firing the button gives you better grip and does not look unsightly as can not be seen when your mech tube is in your hand.
Just thought i would pass this idea on to others who have the same problem as me.

Just bought a Kennedy Vindicator 21, a thing of beauty, but it's slippery in use and the upgraded constant contact switch is quite hard to fire (one handed), despite using the shortest throw, unless I've become a weakling, which is more than possible.

Now then, wire and coils :hmm: Not having used mechs for years I don't really have much suitable wire. I've used 22awg stealthvape brochrome , 3mm ID, 6 wraps in my Kennedy 24, comes out at 0.11ohm, which is too low, 38amps, for the samsung 21700 battery, not sure if it's the 30 or 40T, because it's been rewrapped. Going to order a couple of new molicels. I can obviously add a wrap, maybe try 3.5mm ID, but I'm thinking I need a different wire in there.

I'm also using some Ni80 round wire (that I found later) in a different rda, measures at 0.70 diameter, it's hefty. 6 wraps, 3.5mm ID, comes out at a more respectable 0.15ohm, but still I'm not enjoying the vape.

I'm looking for a wire/ coil that will give me 0.15 - 0.24ohm dual coil, 3- 3.5mm ID. I'm not interested in massive barbed wire builds with many wraps, the battery drain and ramp up time would just be ridiculous, imo and the vape far too hot.

I am definitely looking for some ni80 24/32 round clapton wire, only one I've found is the Dynas stuff, thought there would be more choice than that. Seems to be a dearth of choice, wire wise these days, more and more premades, they don't make economic sense to me, ok now and then. No idea what's left over at wire and stuff/ crazy wire, but they've had some bad press here at potv (a couple of months back), so I am avoiding them.

Her is a list of wires I've used that may be of interest, all dual coil builds - all 5 wrap 3mm id unless stated otherwise

Kanthal A1

Flat Alien Clapton 0.30 x 0.80/32. 5 wrap 0.22, 4 wrap 0.18 (from Pirate Vape - cheap Chinese spool wire but not bad)
Fused Clapton 24x2/32. 5 wrap 0.21 (from Dynas - wire too bulky, ramp up time slow. Not a good wire for you)
Staggered Fused Clapton (26/32 x2)/32. 5 wrap 0.19,m 4 wrap 0.15 (Dynas - this is the best of the Kanthal wires I have, but ramp up is a little slow compared to Ni80 or SS316L).

Ni80

Flat Clapton 22/36. You have to go to 6 wraps to be at 0.15. Wire is too bulky and takes a long time to cool. It can handle very high power levels but buying this was a mistake and I wouldn't recommend it
Flat Alien Clapton 0.30 x 0.80/36. 5 wraps 0.16/0.17. A nice wire - probably worth considering. From Flatwire.uk
Flat Clapton 24/38. 5 wraps 0.20, 4 wraps 0.17. Nice wire, not much mass so heats quickly. From Flatwire.uk
Double Clapton 2x26/38 5 wraps 0.15, 6 wraps 0.18. My favourite Ni80 wire for mechs (from Cool Vaper eBay but there are a lot of alternatives - Coilology/Vandy Vape etc and all good.)
Tri Core Fused Clapton 3-28/38. 5 wraps 0.18 ohms. Nice wire (bought from Cool Vaper but Coilology spools also good)
Quad Core Fused Clapton 4-28/40 5 wraps 0.13, 6 wraps 0.15. Bit of a nutcase wire, 24/25 atties can get a bit toastie- I'd pass.
Coilology Framed Staple 2-28, 4-.1x.3/36. 5 wraps 0.14 to 0.15. Nice wire but not any better than easier to find dual 26 fused Clapton. If you are tempted to try this wire - make sure you buy the Framed28 and NOT the framed 26 which is a super low ohm loonie wire..

SS316L

Alien Flat Clapton 0.3 x 0.8/32. A bit of a nutcase wire - 5 wrap builds 0.12 ohms, you have to go to 7 wraps to get in the 0.15 arena which means stupidly bulky coils. Tanks get really hot, best avoided
Clapton 24/32. 5 wrap 0.13, 6 wrap 0.15 to 0.16, 7 wrap 0.18 ohms. Bought from Dynas, does the job and cheap but not a good wire for mechs - I can't explain why, it just doesn't work for me.
Dual 28/32 Fused Clapton. 5 wrap 0.16, 6 wrap 0.18 to 0.19 (Dynas wire, quite reasonable but if tempted to buy ensure you get the DOUBLE clapton 28 and not the FUSED clapton 28 which is a bit crap).
25 Gauge Flat Wire Clapton 0.27x0.68/32. 5 wrap 0.15, 6 wrap 0.18. Bought from Flatwire.uk - the reduced mass of the thinner core wire removes all the problems of the Alien Flat Clapton and this is a really good wire for mech builds. The resistance will raise a little with hot coils but only by 0.01 ohms so its not bad. I strongly recommend you buy a spool of this if you see it.
Juggernaut (dual 28 wrapped in ribbon wire - I forget exact specs) 5 wraps 0.15 to 0.16, 6 wraps 0.19 to 0.20. I think I bought this from Dynas, not a bad wire but not a favourite (I can't give a rational explanation why I'm not keen as it works well I just prefer clapton outer wraps). If you are tempted to try this wire make sure you get the version with 28 gauge inner wires - the dual 26 inner core is a nutcase wire and best avoided IMO.

My sweet spot for single battery tube mechs is in the 0.15 to 0.18 range the Ni80 dual 26 core is my most used wire, but the 25 gauge SS316L flat clapton is just as good. For a more relaxed vape the Ni80 triple 28 core is my favourite and is my go to wire for 18650 mech dual coil builds.

I definitely recommend the SS316L Flatwire Clapton - and the Dual 26 Ni80 if you're happy with 0.15 ohms, but if you want to build higher without excess mass the Triple 28 Ni80 Fused Clapton is the better wire.

If I'm shopping for wire for use in single battery mechs I find the 1.4 to 1.6 ohms per foot range is best for me. Any lower than this and 5 wrap coils will be below 0.15 and out of my comfort zone, any higher than 1.6 ohms per foot and it gets close to 0.20 ohms which I find a little too cool and lethargic for dual coil buildds.

Last edited:
I use 24awg brochrome, 2.5 ID, 6 wraps, comes out around 0.17-0.18 for dual coil, works for me.

@andipandi

I second the above, I also use 24awg brochrome, 6 wraps, but at 3mm ID it comes out at around 0.4 or so ohms per coil, which sits right in the sweet spot of your requested range. Nice fast ramp up, works perfectly on a mech.

StealthVape have wire shots of it in stock, but are currently out of stock of reels of it. 30 strips 150mm long for £5.99 seems okay, but you can't quite get 2 coils per strip out of it (unless you are *very* accurate!) as each 3mm ID 6 wrap comes out about 75mm long! Still, 30 coils for £6...

The fact that the 24awg reels are the only Brochrome gauge they are out of stock of, says a lot. :)

Wow, plenty of great suggestions here :2thumbsup: I'm actually looking at round wire, might even twist some up, back to the past! The Brochome 24awg is a good shout, I do have loads of different types of flatwire and flat claptons, most of it was bought from crazy wire, I'm not convinced by it at all.

My tip is short. Just keep brass and copper mods clean and dont leave them for long time unused with tank on the top. Nobody likes to spend time to unscrew RDA stuck on a mod.

If you have a tube mod that uses magnets, when you separate the switch leave the magnets in place and clearly mark them with a paint pen - after the magnets are marked you are far less likely to accidentally break them after a strip and clean.

Back
Top Bottom