What's new

Smok RBA Shorting And Wrong OHM Fix

I don’t have one of these, but I was interested to see because I did have one, and returned the rba because it was basically doa.

It’s not a good look when you buy something new out the box and start having to grind chunks off it with a dremel to get it to work, eh?

I don’t have one of these, but I was interested to see because I did have one, and returned the rba because it was basically doa.

It’s not a good look when you buy something new out the box and start having to grind chunks off it with a dremel to get it to work, eh?

I could not agree with you more and at first I was also going to return it but with the added hassle of having to repost it back to the seller (eBay purchase) I decided that I would have a go at fixing it, the fix literally took all of 30 seconds with a Dremel, but you are of course right and the fix should not have been needed in the first place!!!

You don't have to scrap the base of the RBA. The fault is at the base of the tank. The positive pin can move up and down. When you screw the RBA into the base with the base in your hand... it screws way down allowing the edges of the RBA to touch the base and make a short.

If you first screw the base onto your mod, (assuming you don't have a mod with a very long spring loaded pin) and then screw the RBA, the mod has already lifted the pin enough, so it does not allow the rba to screw way down and make a short.

I was pulling my hair the first time trying to build the RBA, and the solution came out of luck when I also noticed that when you screw the RBA in the base without being on the mod, the chimney also had trouble to tightly screw on the top of the RBA.

So in conclusion. screw the base alone on the mod. then the RBA and no short.

hi i had this problem with mine i found that if i did not tighten the rda to the base to tight i found it to work fine some say that you can shave a bit off the base of the rda but i was a bit afraid to have a go at that as it is not cheap to replace it if it goes wrong............

It’s a bit shocking, somebody could have an accident doctoring this kind of stuff themselves if they are an amateur and following pictures on the internet. They should have recalled them when so many folk complained about them not working.

I had similar issue with my brand new Smok Cloud Beast RBA deck, my problem was the build quality was poor, the design had a silicon sleeve to isolate the 2 posts in the centre but it was out of line and the 2 posts touched causing a short, I am pretty competent when it comes to fixing things and I was too impatient to send it back, so I had a go, sorted the alignment issue and fitted the silicon sleeve properly, rather pleased with myself I tried it on my ohm's tester - FAIL! :(

The 2 posts still touched ever so slightly, you could wiggle them and the ohm's jumped all over the place, determined to fix it I used pliers to pull the gap open.

Success! I got the gap open alright
FAIL only because I snapped the post!
now bin fodder.

Rather upset I had no RBA deck and didn't want to use the ninja b**stard coils that came with it I resorted to buying a new one from a local overpriced store.

Tweaked the coils, wicked it up, went to fit it only to find the RBA outer sleeve had cross threaded at the top!
Bin Fodder again! - luckily I fished the other dead one out of the bin and used the outer sleeve from that and it now works.

One last thing to mention, the 2nd one I bought had a better post design and a greater gap so that won't short.

I love and hate Smok - if it wasn't for my precious T-Priv mod it would mostly be hate.

Back
Top Bottom