What's new

How To Simple DIY Example and Price Breakdown

Horrand

Postman
This is a supposed to be a simple guide and price breakdown. We’ll cover the equipment needed and the basic ingredients to mix up a simple recipe. There are lots of really good recipes to mix on ATF and ELR, both contain a plethora to choose from. If you choose a well regarded recipe from one of these sites you are almost guaranteed a good first step into DIY (assuming you pick a profile similar to what you enjoy). Once you have a feel for how the various flavours interact with each other you’ll be mixing up your own recipes in no time.

The vendors suggested below are by no means an exhaustive list, there are many other vendors available.

EQUIPMENT
NECESSARY

Scales – these must measure to an accuracy of 0.01g. 200g capacity is fine for smaller batches but if you’re looking to mix above 200ml of juice in one go you’re better off with the 500g capacity ones. Battery scales are fine but some people prefer a mains powered one. Try to get one without auto shutoff or one that is long enough to not switch off every time you glance away.
200g Amazon
500g Amazon or Ebay

Bottles – You are going to need bottles, lots of bottles. This has already been written up brilliantly in an FAQ Friday post on Reddit

Nicotine – due to TPD you can no longer buy nicotine in any higher strength than 20mg and in no larger quantities than 10ml (you can buy from websites outside of the EU who will ship to you but there’s no guarantee it’ll make it through customs). We'll cover both options below.
Vendors
Darkstar – box of 18 18mg nicotine shots (£16.00, £0.89 each)
Lucemill – box of 20 18mg nicotine shots (£13.80, £0.69 each)

Flavours – these are what you will mix to create your recipes and are exactly the same as the flavours your favourite premium juices are made from! Flavours are normally suspended in PG but some are available in VG. Many of the vendors rebottle the flavours and sell them under a different name for a cheaper price, we have a list here.
Vendors
Chefs Flavours
Darkstar
Vapable

Base Liquid – This is propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG). You can buy these ready mixed together but you will have much more control over your mixes if you purchase separately. More information here.
Vendors
Darkstar
Lucemill
Amazon

Labels – In depth discussion here.

OPTIONAL
Gloves – You don’t want nicotine on your bare skin but not necessary if you’re careful.
Tissues / Kitchen roll – to mop up the inevitable drops you may spill
Syringes/beakers/graduated cylinders – It is much easier, faster and cleaner to mix by weight. More discussion on this here.
Eye protection – Just be careful and this really isn’t needed but is still worth a mention, see here.
NOT NEEDED
Magnetic stirrers
Hot water baths
Ultrasonic cleaners
Any other speed steeping equipment

RECIPE CALCULATOR
There are many juice calculators to use and they all do the same thing.
ATF – Click “Mix” under the recipe description of the one you want to make
ELR - http://e-liquid-recipes.com/create
STEAM ENGINE - http://www.steam-engine.org/juice.html

MIXING
Now we’ve got everything we need to start mixing. We’ll be mixing directly into the bottle and for this example we’ll be mixing by weight to make a 30ml, 70/30 VG/PG mix at 3mg nicotine strength using the Simple Sugar Cookie recipe by ID10-T. This is a simple two ingredient recipe just to show how easy it is to make your own delicious juice. It is also very forgiving if you get a little heavy handed and don’t get the measurements just right. Once you’ve added all of your data into the calculator (example images below) you’re ready to start mixing, you’ll see exactly what you need to add. It’s good to get into a habit of shaking your flavours and especially nicotine before mixing.

l6llaEHdSO.png

Pricing: Nicotine shots – Lucemill, Flavours – Chefsflavours, VG & PG – Darkstar.

Using 72mg Nicotine
9IRweAZbDv.png

· Turn on scales
· Add bottle and tare (zero the scales)
· Add 1.29g nicotine and tare
· Add 2.52g CAP Sugar Cookie and tare
· Add 1.26g CAP Vanilla Custard V1 and tare
· Add 4.37 PG and tare
· Add 26.41g VG
· Put cap on bottle and shake vigorously until fully mixed (little bubbles will form throughout the liquid).
· Label

Using 18mg Nicotine Shots
8lEqwp9XH4.png

· Turn on scales
· Add bottle and tare (zero the scales)
· Add 5.18g of nicotine shot and tare
· Add 2.52g CAP Sugar Cookie and tare
· Add 1.26g CAP Vanilla Custard V1 and tare
· Add 0.48g PG and tare
· Add 26.41g VG
· Put cap on bottle and shake vigorously until fully mixed (little bubbles will form throughout the liquid).
· Label
Total cost of 30ml: £0.98 - This price will be even lower if you get into DIY more and buy your VG, PG, nicotine and most used flavourings in higher volumes.

It really is as simple as that, now go and enjoy! All of the values can be adjusted to suit you desired VP/PG ratio, nicotine level and flavouring. The only difference will be how much of each ingredient is added into your bottle.

All pricing is correct as of September 2018.

Scales aren’t necessary. Many people mix with measuring cylinders. I’ve been doing so for a year and a half with no problems or hassle.

Scales aren’t necessary. Many people mix with measuring cylinders. I’ve been doing so for a year and a half with no problems or hassle.

I agree that you can, especially for larger batches, but you just won't have the same consistency mix to mix because you lose immeasurable amounts to the walls of the beakers or syringes. Plus there's the added cleanup afterwards you also don't have to do if mixing by weight.

Same here. A measuring cylinder and a small syringe has done me for years.

Nice write up....I agree measuring by weight is less hassle and quicker with minimal to no clean up....throw nicotine pipette in bin...jobs a good un.

When you use cylinders you can pour stuff in to them straight out the bottle. I only use syringes for measuring <1% amounts of a concentrate.

When you use cylinders you can pour stuff in to them straight out the bottle. I only use syringes for measuring <1% amounts of a concentrate.

It's an optional choice to do either, whatever your happy with.....but honestly @zouzounaki you use I believe low % flavour concentrate amounts... you should try the scales.

I have enough crap lying about the house @Rickster . And besides, I like the sense of gravitas I get from sitting about pouring different liquids in to the measuring cylinders. It makes me feel like a scientist. Also, my missus finds it very erotic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom