What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

How To Rubber Problems

bluerobot

Postman
Having never been on the S and M scene my knowledge rubber and it's properties is limited to well, er, if you drop it it bounces. Since I started vaping rubber has come into my life on a daily basis. (Yes I know O rings aren't strictly rubber per say but for the sake of keeping it simple let's just say their made of rubber) One fine day I'm excitedly drawing Inawera Eucalyptus Menthol into my syringe, this stuff smells good, how's it gonna vape? Up goes the rubber headed plunger, then push down. No hang on, it's not going down, push harder man, show it who's boss. It will not budge, it really won't. End of story. Why so? Well in my dim brain I begin to put two and two together, the, er, "Rubber" on the end of the plunger has expanded so much it's jammed the plunger head. And exactly where are you going to put your Eucalyptus Menthol? Well into your tank, and whats in your tank children? Fucking Rubber you idiot .Of course in my wisdom I proceeded to put the concentrate (after I'd got hold of a syringe without a Rubber headed plunger) into my tanks and guess what? That's exactly where problems begin. The Merlin immediately went into a huff and threw its top center O ring out, dam thing expanded and positively refused to go back in, the Kayfun 5 clones just shrugged and got harder to turn, but the Kanger Protank 4 became, well, obstinate, as in trying to turn the top side fill mechanism. So I looked up "Rubber" on Google and weirdly if you boil it it shrinks, counter intuitive for sure but hey, gave it a try and Voila my Kanger now turns around, albeit not the same as before, but better than than it was after Inewara Eucalyptus touched it's "Rubber"

Last edited:
O-rings and gaskets will probably not be rubber but man-made materials (nitrile, silicone, PTFE & other stuff) and I think there has to be a compromise. Some materials are resistant to temperature extremes, some are resistant to chemical intrusion, some expand, some contract. The tougher the material the less it will be damaged by other materials (e-juice, brake fluid etc) but then they won't be as springy so won't form as good a seal.
Syringes we tend to use in vaping are cheap and one use only and materials used in vape devices will probably always be the cheapest.that the manufacturers can get away with.
Some o-rings on some tanks are useless and deform and stretch very quickly, some are very robust and keep their seals but don't come with spares.
Certain I've heard complaints from jam makers that some fruits ruin seals so seems like you've found a flavour that is not seal friendly.

Back
Top Bottom