What's new

Pockex battery removal

F1geek

Initiate
Hi I've got a couple of pockex and on one the battery is failing, does anyone know how to remove the original battery so I can source and replace
15521868645191522353378933415849.jpg

It will be a lipo battery inside not a 18650 and and I'd imagine hard to
Find a replacement of same size and spec and for a mod available for under £20 don't think it's worth the effort but I do like watching people bring things back to life so if you do manage it please post some pics [emoji4]

Find a replacement of same size and spec and for a mod available for under £20 don't think it's worth the effort but I do like watching people bring things back to life so if you do manage it please post some pics [emoji4]

It's got very sentimental value for me so wouls like it to ewoek longer than a few mins

Thanks

Once mine finally dies I will pull it apart and see what is in there - have you tried to remove the metal cap on the bottom? It might be glued in, or it might be a friction fit - I doubt they would bother threading it as it's not meant to be removed by the user. A Jeweller's screwdriver might do it.
It could be a LiPo battery or a smaller Li-Ion than an 18650 - like CR123 size. either of which you'll be able to get at Aliexpress.
I'mfairly new to vaping, but as a torch fanatic (sad, I know), I know a good bit about batteries.

Well, mine has finally died - I have a broken shoulder at the minute, so won't be able to do much to it yet - but once I can, I will. I have a Veco Solo I would like to do the same to, and see if I can fit a similar sized but higher capacity battery into it - it's bound to have the cheapest possible battery fitted in at the factory - so will report back once I know more!

Well, it vexed me by spilling foul smelling e-liquid of unknown origin everywhere when left on the desk overnight.
So I destroyed it.
The bottom cap came off very easily with a pair of vice grips, bringing with it the usb port and charging circuitry.
I'm not sure how the button etc. comes out, but because it was worryingly badly built, once I removed the battery and investigated it a bit more, it revealed that it is an 18500 battery - you can get a Litokala one or about £2 with free delivery.
I suspect you will get MUCH longer battery life.
The battery in the Pockex was not even in a metal sheath, can, body, whatever you call it - there was a big bit of what looked like very undershrunk metal coloured heatshrink, which I cut open to have a look at the battery - that WAS the battery. I cut into the plastic and there was a strong solvent smell, and what looked like a blue absorbent mat material rolled up, and that was it... at that stage I decided to chuck it in the garden.
Well done on the build quality, Aspire, for the sake of maybe 30 cents!

Don't get me wrong, I used a Pockex for a couple of months, and then retired it in favour of a Sky Solo and a Veco Solo - I have a couple of box mods,, and an Aspire Skystar Revvo, and a Vaporesso Polar, and a Voopoo Caliber with the Uforce tank, a Vandy VapeTrident, and a leaky Smok Stik TV12 - I like my vape sticks, not a heavy vaper, and the Sky Solo and the Veco One are my daily carry vapes - I use the Trident and the Caliber at home, too much like an overly heavy boner in my pocket to carry about.

But this was really something to witness, it looked quality enough for a cheap Chinese (genuine, checked with Aspire) stick - I saw the "18500" on the battery "bag" and thought, ah, that's what he'll need, wonder how easy it'll be to replace" - cut into it and the true horror was revealed. I should really get the gloves on and cut the whole bag open ad take some pics. The bag was !insulated" from the case by a couple of bits of that tape Aliexpress sellers are fond of completely covering packages in.

So it went from a "I might be able to help and tell this fella what kind of battery he needs" to "Dear God, WHAT IS THAT?"

What ARE you at, Aspire? You make some nice vapes, I own some... but that was on another level.

@Noobienomore - yes, that's totally standard for the battery in an integrated device.

It's a lithium ion cell in a polymer encasement.

There's nothing true horror about it...

Here's one inside a vandy vape simple EX:

IMG_20190928_084214646~2.jpg

They use the same thing in the aspire spryte, and the smok nord, and the sigelei odo.

Oh, and inside phones that don't have user replaceable batteries. And tablets.

And inside my shaver and our electric toothbrush and the wife's headtorch and my Bluetooth headphones and MP3 player.

Basically, just about every rechargeable device that uses an integrated li-ion cell that's not designed to be user replaceable will have a soft case.

It's not just about cost though, it's about size, and about weight - and the soft case cells pretty much always have flying leads so you don't have to spot weld connections or rely on spring/push contacts.

You haven't seen true horror with an inbuilt battery until you strip down an old ego!

There was a thread going about the insides several years ago as when they would pack up we would open them and post photos :D

You haven't seen true horror with an inbuilt battery until you strip down an old ego!

There was a thread going about the insides several years ago as when they would pack up we would open them and post photos :D

You can still get the same style of ego battery stick things.

They have not improved...

(I've seen the old threads, and I had a couple to sling in the car as emergency vapes...)

Back
Top Bottom