What's new

New to sub ohm

Sidekick

Postman
Hi all over the last month or so I have been trying sum single coil sub ohm builds , my problem is they all pop and crackle a lot I read somewhere that it is the e liquid boiling , ( my RTA is a serpent alto on a cool fire IV TC 100 with SS 26g @ 25w 400f .45 ohms 50/50 e liquid ) just need advice please :hmm:

If it is a pop and crackle but the vapour that comes through is smooth then that is normal. If you get liquid in your mouth then it may be that the coil is flooded (literally just had this 2 minutes ago on one of my new tanks :12:). The noise can be a little off putting at first but if the vapour is smooth and enjoyable then it is the normal noise that a Sub Ohm tank makes :).

@Sidekick - I wrote about this recently, here's a bit about funny noises, maybe something here will help :)

I’m hearing funny noises!

Gurgling, bubbling sounds.
Most often caused when e-liquid gets somewhere it’s not meant to be, most likely that the coil is flooded. Usually taking your tank apart and getting rid of excess juice then putting it all back together again will work. For a quick fix on the go use a twist of tissue paper to clear the coil/chimney of juice, or a short sharp blow into the drip tip can blow any excess juice out of the coil and through the air holes. Sometimes vaping at a slightly higher wattage can fix this problem – it may be that what you are hearing is e-liquid boiling and bubbling rather than being vaporized.

Crackling, hissing noises.
These types of noises are often heard using certain styles of coils, and is more noticeable when using a rebuildable or dripping atomizer. Clapton style coils, in particular due to their design, have a multitude of nooks and crannies, intended to create a large surface area on which juice can be vaporized. This often causes crackling and hissing, almost like a hot frying pan, it can be lessened by vaping at a higher wattage or temperature but not always. This is pretty normal and not really a cause for concern. However, if it bothers you then consider changing coil type.

Popping noises.
This sounds alarming when it happens, but is not really a cause for concern unless you are of a nervous disposition. It can indicate that juice is not being fully vaporized, in which case trying ramping up the wattage slightly, or it can be caused by e-liquid that is thin and/or has higher water content. This is common when e-juice is made using AG (Aqueous Glycerin) rather than Vegetable Glycerin (VG). AG is often used in place of VG to prevent high VG e-liquids from being excessively viscous, as it is much thinner than VG due to the addition of water. The presence of even this very small percentage of water can cause some scary noises when it ‘pops’ on a hot coil. However, the use of AG rather than pure VG is distinctly advantageous in ‘high VG’ E-liquids – it is far less likely to clog and gunk up your coil, meaning that juice wicking is more efficient, and coil longevity extended.

It is worth mentioning that hearing popping noises doesn’t necessarily mean that your e-liquid contains AG in place of VG, so please don’t jump to conclusions. VG is highly hygroscopic which means that it actively attracts water molecules from the air. This means that if your tank, or dripper, has sat unused for a while, or if you leave a bottle of e-juice open without a lid, any juice exposed to the air will have absorbed some extra water via natural means.

(Source)

@Sidekick - I wrote about this recently, here's a bit about funny noises, maybe something here will help :)

I’m hearing funny noises!

Gurgling, bubbling sounds.
Most often caused when e-liquid gets somewhere it’s not meant to be, most likely that the coil is flooded. Usually taking your tank apart and getting rid of excess juice then putting it all back together again will work. For a quick fix on the go use a twist of tissue paper to clear the coil/chimney of juice, or a short sharp blow into the drip tip can blow any excess juice out of the coil and through the air holes. Sometimes vaping at a slightly higher wattage can fix this problem – it may be that what you are hearing is e-liquid boiling and bubbling rather than being vaporized.

Crackling, hissing noises.
These types of noises are often heard using certain styles of coils, and is more noticeable when using a rebuildable or dripping atomizer. Clapton style coils, in particular due to their design, have a multitude of nooks and crannies, intended to create a large surface area on which juice can be vaporized. This often causes crackling and hissing, almost like a hot frying pan, it can be lessened by vaping at a higher wattage or temperature but not always. This is pretty normal and not really a cause for concern. However, if it bothers you then consider changing coil type.

Popping noises.
This sounds alarming when it happens, but is not really a cause for concern unless you are of a nervous disposition. It can indicate that juice is not being fully vaporized, in which case trying ramping up the wattage slightly, or it can be caused by e-liquid that is thin and/or has higher water content. This is common when e-juice is made using AG (Aqueous Glycerin) rather than Vegetable Glycerin (VG). AG is often used in place of VG to prevent high VG e-liquids from being excessively viscous, as it is much thinner than VG due to the addition of water. The presence of even this very small percentage of water can cause some scary noises when it ‘pops’ on a hot coil. However, the use of AG rather than pure VG is distinctly advantageous in ‘high VG’ E-liquids – it is far less likely to clog and gunk up your coil, meaning that juice wicking is more efficient, and coil longevity extended.

It is worth mentioning that hearing popping noises doesn’t necessarily mean that your e-liquid contains AG in place of VG, so please don’t jump to conclusions. VG is highly hygroscopic which means that it actively attracts water molecules from the air. This means that if your tank, or dripper, has sat unused for a while, or if you leave a bottle of e-juice open without a lid, any juice exposed to the air will have absorbed some extra water via natural means.

(Source)

You just had to go and show me up didn't you... ;)

Awesome guide though to be fair, very well written and informative.

You just had to go and show me up didn't you... ;)

Awesome guide though to be fair, very well written and informative.

Nah, I just more or less repeated what you said already, but in a more self important wordy manner ;) - ie- if it tastes good and the noises don't scare ya then grin, bear it, and enjoy the flavour hehe
Thanks for the compliment though :D

Thanks for the information , I make my own e liquid at 50/50 would you up VG for sub ohm tanks ? or is it I need to spend more time playing around with the wattage and temp control to find the sweet spot

Thanks for the information , I make my own e liquid at 50/50 would you up VG for sub ohm tanks ? or is it I need to spend more time playing around with the wattage and temp control to find the sweet spot
The throat hit from 50/50 juice can be a little harsher due to high pg but if your happy with it then it's not a problem. I do find 50/50 juice can be a little overpowering if sub ohmed as the flavour is carried well in pg. Some of my favourite 50/50 juices are awful vaped in a sub ohm set up but if you are making your own you can adjust your flavour to suit.

Hi all just put a 2.5 ohm coil in the alto just to see the difference , small air flow much better a lot quieter and good flavour so I think will be staying some where between 1.5 to 2.5 ohms which has worked for me in the past as I am a MTL guy thanks for all your advice will make a note of your advice :2thumbsup::clapping:

Back
Top Bottom