What's new

How To Make the best cotton wick/coil set up for your dripper!

for me i like the boots organic facial pads, i cut then into 4mm strips then roll them to fluff then up, 6 wrap of .25 kanthal around a precision screwdriver at 1.8ohm. its working very well for me. heating the wire tho is a must to keep the coil tight. i find just using a lighter is enough.

i wrap mine around a cocktail stick, coil it up, then stick it back in my cherry and martini

I'm new to using cotton wool but it's working for me for now. Does anyone subscribe to the idea of putting it in boiling water first & then leaving it to dry ? Seen some videos where people mention this but i figure that if it's clean enough to use on a baby then ...

Ive come to notice something. When having wick beneath the coil yoy seem to get more vape production. When through the coil you get more flavor. I combine Borth methods by tucking one side of the wick (after putting it through the coil) under the coil and the other above to catch drip

if you have a pair of mole grips they will help and a small screw driver... how i did mine .25 twisted with 7 wraps on the KFL 1.3ohms :D

keep the twist tight :D I also torched it to keep it rigid after twisting

Thats the ticket right there. :thumbup:

I use a 5/64 drill bit for my micro coils and like a 1.1 ohm coil, but you can use anything really.

I heat / torch 28 Kanthal so it will stay tight when wrapped.....then do a 8/7 wrap (8 wraps on top, 7 on the bottom)..then use needle nose pliers to gently push the coils together while still on the drill bit. I then slide the coil off the drill bit, torch it again until red hot, and quickly grab the needle nose pliers and squeeze the coil together again making all the wires touch.

Then I slip the coil back on the drill bit (so when installing on my kayfun or drippers the coil is easy to man handle and stays in perfect shape)

Then after installing the end wires I move the coil to exactly where I want it and then slide the drill bit out.........perfect 1.1 ohm coil which will fire on just about any VV/VW mod.

The cotton needs to be able to slide back and forth inside the coil with no resistance. Too thick and it will burn up quicker.....too loose and it will burn up even faster. After you do a few, you will figure out just the right thickness.
'
My two cents to the conversation....:stinker:

I'm new to using cotton wool but it's working for me for now. Does anyone subscribe to the idea of putting it in boiling water first & then leaving it to dry ? Seen some videos where people mention this but i figure that if it's clean enough to use on a baby then ...

I cant be bothered by boiling myself. I see posts where people talk about boiling organic cotton.....Im like "really?" .......then I think of all the cigs I smoked with 4000 chemcals in each......nah, I cant be bothered.

I cant be bothered by boiling myself. I see posts where people talk about boiling organic cotton.....Im like "really?" .......then I think of all the cigs I smoked with 4000 chemcals in each......nah, I cant be bothered.

Zactly !

Ah, glad my tip-off has been going well. I hadn't been alerted to any replies (as usual).

First off, Midnight - DO NOT be re-wicking/re-coiling stuff without a device that checks resistance! Secondly, cotton wool balls whittle down to something ridiculous like 0.01mm in thickness so there shouldn't be any reason you can't thread that through a coil with ease. The only issue I get is when that fine point tapers out and when you push it through the coil, it stops threading through by the time the taper gets thick. But usually the little fine point has juuuust made it to the other side and then you just pull with tweezers.

I then find you have to pull on both ends of the cotton wool, either side of the coil, to get it taught and then twist-and-pull to thread without causing the coil to lean over and get forced out of shape by the pulling/threading process.

Finally, you may find that using more than a small amount of cotton is counter-productive because the flavour/juice will dissipate and disperse though the wool and won't necessarily gather at the coil like with silica. I have mine just about dangle into the well where it meets a little puddle of juice to wick up. Or just keep dripping more frequently.

Anyone else find this? I basically started out with a tiny amount of wool, the thought, eff this! and put in a load. But then flavour dropped significantly.

I found the same thing using a nano (.05 inch) hex key for something to wind around.

Had to rewick the thing after a day and used much less cotton, now the flavor and vapor is insane. Remember less is more with cotton.

I'll post pics if any are interested, oh yeah... hi, I'm new here lol.

OK so my first microcoil, i tested it on the vamo, 3.8 ohms, i think i am going to have to try this again, the coil heats up and glows uniformly but i think the resistance will be too high?
I am using 0.2 kanthal, should i opt for some thicker wire?

I had the same issue with that gauge of wire, try twisting it double with a drill and pair of pliers and then wrapping your coil around something near 2mm. About 10-12 wraps should be near 1.5 ohms but test it anyway.

And yes, boil for 20 mins, rinse and repeat then dry and all should be good.

Yes, I boil... twice. For me its the bleached aspect of the cotton to make it "white" that has to be removed. It has a faint taste and odor that goes away when bleached. But I will say that because of bleaching I can just use any old cotton ball and have no problems as long as its wicked right.

Back
Top Bottom