What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

How To Make the best cotton wick/coil set up for your dripper!

Oh man, excited to bring this to your attention:

I just did it myself (and nothing I try ever seems to work so I was sceptical).

I wouldn't call mine a micro coil though, but here are my steps (coming out at 2.4 ohms)

1. wind your kanthal round something solid, I used the end of my mini screwdriver that came with my phoenix/A7
1b. wind it tight and keep the coils almost touching. Note: at the expense of having high resistance, do a few more wraps as this yields more surface area and more coverage, so better vapour etc.
2. stick the coil in your device at this point, sans wick - Note: test coil resistance and fire it now before the cotton goes in as you can not dry burn cotton (obviously)... watch that coil glow SOLID all the way through with no fading, just WHAM, light up! Never get this with coil that's would round silica all flimsy and bent.
3. get yourself some organic cotton wool (no bleach etc) and maybe give it a boil, dry it in the oven and keep some in a jar to save having to repeat this process - I use regular cotton wool balls and have a small jar of a few of them, they'll last ages as you only need a wee bit of it.
4. tear off a small strip (about 2 inches long and say, half a centimetre thick.
5. coax one end of the cotton strip into a tiny point. Note: even if your coil is about 2-3mm in diameter, fear not, the cotton will roll up into a very find point with ease.
6. thread the point into your coil and gently pull through. You can then trim off any excess if need be. The cotton expands to fill your coil leaving no gaps! This is another great key to this whole process.
7. arrange the strands of cotton however you like, tuck them in, whatever, then soak. Soak like there's no tomorrow.

Now enjoy the best flavour you've ever had in that dripper!

Note: to change flavours or clean up after a few uses (because you lack the ability to dry burn) simply slide out the cotton and slide in another piece!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I had a go with cotton ball wicks a while back but the results weren't that good. I think my problem was that I was trying to roll the whole length of cotton into a wick shape rather than just at one end. I will definitely try this one again. Thanks for sharing.

I think I would be scared to set it alight if I ran the juice down too low. Looks scary.

I think I would be scared to set it alight if I ran the juice down too low. Looks scary.

You'd be ok coz the flavour diminishes well before the wicks become dry so you get to know in plenty of time when to drip some more juice.

It would only burn and split at the centre where the coil is Middy but even if it did catch fire, it's enclosed in a metal case and would burn itself out in seconds. Don't be a scaredy cat!

I am going to rebuild my baby octopus tonight...I want to have a go now :)

I will do some pics when I get round to doing it. Have half a migraine right now :(

Back
Top Bottom