What's new

How To Low wattage cloud / trick build -ecig battery

gbalkam

Postman
Note: Although this can be done on an e-cig battery in a pinch, it is advised not to do so.
2 things to remember.. keep a low number of coils, nothing fancy and ohms high enough for your mod. Mine will not work below 0.8ohm. E-cig batteries are not for high amp burst or sustained, so a fast ramp up time at low watts means you can do these build without any problem. Keep an eye on your battery temp, if it starts getting a bit hot, give it a rest to cool down. Claptons, by their very nature are out, unless you use an insanely low ga wrap.. 36ga or higher.

No pics guys, sorry.. Webcam hasn't arrived yet. But this is so simple you really don't need a picture.
This is a coil specifically for making clouds or vape tricks on a low wattage battery. I am using a Tsunami RDA. This is a single coil build and so small that wicking is not an issue, even with limited deck space.

You need.. about 6 inches of flattened kanthal (I used 0.5 x 0.1)
Use a 2.5mm coil bit or screwdriver. Keep the flat wire pinned down under your thumb and make 6 wraps, spaces are ok, you can fix those later.
After the 6th wrap, move the coil up the spindle enough to pull out the first wrap (where your thumb was)
For the Tsunami, both legs face the same direction, for a RBA (such as with kanger toptank mini rba) legs should face away from each other.
this should come in around 1.8 -1.4 ohm.

In other words.. use the flattened kanthal and make a 5 wrap coil on a 2.5mm core.
Put the coil on your deck, and on your LOWEST wattage, test fire and tune the coil, (so it glows from the middle and no hot legs)

Use Scottish Rolled cotton wick (I use cotton bacon, about 1/4 inch wide) and wick the coil as usual. Clips ends so they just hit the bottom of your deck (or cover the juice holes on the RBA) You can find videos on youtube about wicking various rebuildables, but in this case, most important is.. KISS. Keep it SIMPLE (I can tell you what the 2nd S stands for, but only if you ask. LOL.)

Basic recap... Make a 5 wrap coil with 0.5x0.1mm flattened kanthal wire. Mount to your deck, and tune the coil. Wick with just barely enough cotton to hit your juice supply. (fluffy wick ends for the win)

Now the reason this is a single coil only build.. is limited power supply. I made it specifically to work between 10 - 16 watts using the battery from my Vplum. A RDA will give best results. Tsunami works great. (of the few I have. Twistedmesses is 2nd, freakshow 3rd and kanger toptank mini 4th) *because it sucks to build on with obscenely tiny wires and I have big hands*

So why bother?

1 factory made disposable coils are expensive. Like $3 a shot around here.
2 Kanthal wire is cheap.. $8 or less for 30 feet.
3 Cotton is cheap
4 RDAs are cheap, clones even cheaper.
5 You broke your main mod and are gaggin for a decent vape.
6 You want to show off to your buddy who is braggin about vaping at 9000 kilo watts off a 220 amp Stove Cord wired directly to the fuse box and using a truck tire rim as a coil. (Do not try this at home.. this is a mega-uber-superuser-advanced-hard core-Xtreem vaper build and should only be attempted by no sane person on the planet) This warning does not apply to insane people because we all know that telling them not to is the surest way to make sure they DO do it.

***NOTE: THIS IS NOT FOR A MECH MOD*** (it would blow the coil instantly)

Now anyone can try this on pretty much any regulated mod. Mainly just to see how it does at 16w or lower.

This will also give you about 5 "warning" hits.. Like after your 8th pull.. hmmm that was a little cottony...I should repaint the coil.. naw, I'm to lazy.. 1 more pull
5th warning..OK, that was a tad more cottony than I would like... time to repaint the coil..
Unless you are ME.. and you take the cap off to repaint the coil, get distracted, put the cap back on and pull without repainting and have your wife sit there laughing at you for 5 minutes as you cough and hack and turn green. I'm not saying MY wife did that, or would do that.. not so much because she is to sweet a person to enjoy my suffering, but more so that she will batter me senseless if I do say it.

I'll try to edit with a video later when my cam arrives. Free shipping is great, but take forever. Still, better than paying $40 to ship a $5 item.

Last edited:
Nice bit of Info :)

I'm using the Tsunami RDA as well and I'm really enjoying it, gives some great clouds, flavour and awesome airflow. I've been building duel coils using 24g Kanthal, also using a 2.5mm screwdriver but with 7 wraps, using an ohmmeter I'm getting a reading of 0.32.

I will give this a try, not done a single build yet with the Tsunami, I'll let you know how I get on.

Nice bit of Info :)

I'm using the Tsunami RDA as well and I'm really enjoying it, gives some great clouds, flavour and awesome airflow. I've been building duel coils using 24g Kanthal, also using a 2.5mm screwdriver but with 7 wraps, using an ohmmeter I'm getting a reading of 0.32.

I will give this a try, not done a single build yet with the Tsunami, I'll let you know how I get on.
lol. Im running mine at 12 to 16 watts. LOL
It's amazing what you can do to amuse yourself when your Main Mod goes blooey. Getting a replacement today (hopefully). I miss those 0.20 builds.

Back
Top Bottom