What's new

How To How to fix metallic taste on Protanks

DrummerNZ

Initiate
It seems that some people but not everyone get a metallic like taste from the protank. I was one of the ones getting it. I was at the point of putting it away in favor of the Evod until last night when a fix came to me. I took the rubber cap that was on the spare atomizer head that came with my protank kit cut a hole in the end and slipped it on to the tip of my protank. It fits snuggley, doesn't detract from the looks too much and best of all it has made my protank usable again with no horrible metallic taste.
If anyone has any idea why some prople can taste stainless steel & others can't, I'd like to know.
Protank Fix.jpg
The flash makes the rubber cap look more obvious than it really looks.

its chrome plated not stainless steel :p I think :confused:

Last edited:
Looking on a few sites, I'm pretty sure it's stainless. Regardless, I just don't like metal mouth pieces. I have rewicked & recoiled both my Protank & Evod with the same wick, wire, resistance and using the same liquid. The Evod tastes great but the Protank has the metallic taste. That is until I put the rubber cap over the tip & the metallic taste goes away. The other bonus I just found is that when you slightly miscalculate where your mouth is and bash yourself in the front tooth the rubber cap acts as a cushion.

Looking on a few sites, I'm pretty sure it's stainless. Regardless, I just don't like metal mouth pieces. I have rewicked & recoiled both my Protank & Evod with the same wick, wire, resistance and using the same liquid. The Evod tastes great but the Protank has the metallic taste. That is until I put the rubber cap over the tip & the metallic taste goes away. The other bonus I just found is that when you slightly miscalculate where your mouth is and bash yourself in the front tooth the rubber cap acts as a cushion.
why dont you just put a condom ... not the condom we all know its a rubber piece that comes with most atys to protect the coils and wicks it will fit the full length of the tip ...simple as that

No its chrome plated brass, don't believe everything you read on the interwebs ;)

I did try a couple of other 'condoms' but they were loose fitting in the tip whereas this one fits tight. I'm sure there are plenty of other things that would work too but this is just the what I had to hand that fits tight.

No its chrome plated brass, don't believe everything you read on the interwebs ;)

I'm sorry, you are right. Do you have one? Do you get metallic taste? I have seen a few coments from people about the taste but a lot more than never mention it. I guess every ones taste buds are different.
You never said if you thought my tip was a good idea or not.

I've got several ;) no I don't get that, perhaps its only certain people, do you use 510 stainless drip tips on anything else :) it is a pretty good idea, you can get the plastic covers aswell, not sure if it was safercigs or ivapour I've seen them :)

Last edited:
I have always preferred plastic tips over metal. I have used metal before & didn't experience any metal taste like I have with my protank. The rubber cap is still working a treat so I never have to worry about it again.
I just ordered one of the new Kanger T3S last night. Can't wait to try it. Kanger reckon they have solved the gurgling & leaking problems associated with the original T3. I like the Evod but the T3S has a bigger tank.

I get a metallic taste from my Vivi Novas, maybe I should try a different drip tip before I bin them.

Back
Top Bottom