What's new

How To Deal with the 2ml issue on vaporesso cascade mini

Diablo

Achiever
image.jpeg
I like this vaporesso tank. But I hate hate hate this tank with the tpd restrictor.refills are thick and fast. The older version had the easily removable rubber bung. The latest version has a solid steel lump pressure fitted to the chimney. I read that clamping the bung in a vice and then finding a chimney size drift to hammer the two apart was an easy option. Remember that phrase, easy option.

First issues were almost funny. No doubt these were in a manual, but I found out by my usual ham fisted approach.

The drip tip pulls out. The top plate That the drip tip fits into) is reverse threaded.
The base with coil attached is a normal thread.
The middle section that is left attached to the glass is a reverse thread. I had fun working that out.

There are seals at top and bottom of the glass, once you have the glass out make sure you remove them and when you put it all back together later, refit them to the metal parts before re attaching the glass, trying with the seal still attached to the glass will likely damage them as they bunch up (I spotted that before destroying my seal as I attempted just that).

So, the easy bit then. Off to the garage, clamp the bung in a vice, get drift and hit it. No movement apart from the whole thing sliding in the vice. With about as much force as possible on the vice without destroying things, I tried again. No joy. So, to my mind, thats a non starter.

Plan B. Dremel and cutting disc. I have a few diamond cutting wheels instaed of the brittle cut off discs most use for dremel work, but either will do. You can clearly see where the chimney ends and the bung starts when looking at the top of the chimney. With the bung clamped in the vice near the edge of the vice, I cut vertically down the bung making sure I didnt damage the chimney. Maybe half a mm away from the chimney (if that). Once near the base I stopped and used a screwdriver to spread the slot and snap off the bit of bung I had cut free.

That where I thought I had messed up. I should add I had hoped the bung was hollow, its not, so a couple of other attempts had happened before settling on the vertical cut. It looked awful.

Anyway, once the bit of bung snapped off I could see what I was dealing with, I also realised that my vertical cut had cut into the normally wider part of the chimney at the base. It was here where I panicked and bought another tank on ebay btw.

Sorry, no pictures as at this point I was thinking I had blown it. I wasnt sure if that chimney cut was an option. Though I didnt think it was. So a quick clean, refit everything, refill, and test and all was well. It didnt take long til the 2ml was vaped away so back to the garage.

Another cut in the same manner (this time deliberately cutting to the same point knowing the extra loss of metal at the base added a tiny bit more liquid capacity with no detrimental effect. Again snapping off once near the base. Now we have just a slug of rectangular metal tpd rubbish to remove.

a dremel sanding tool next (the thin one that goes on a rubber mount on a shaft), I could see I had gone dangerously close to the chimney on one side than the other, that now worked in my favour. I sanded the metal away on the thicker side until i was able to see it was level with the chimney. You could see a line where the metal changed colour.

I now clamped one end of the rectangular slug of tpd bung in the vice, then with a pair of mole grips i gripped the other end and it bent like butter straight off the chimney. I had a small mark where I had Touched the chimney, but no real damage.

All cleaned and back together its now a decent little tank.

The only pic I have is the dead bung. Ignore the additional experimental cuts (in hindsight its obvious it was going to be solid). Its a shame manufacturers are following tpd in ways that are so hard to defeat by an end user. But at the same time, its good that they can be overcome with a little work. Its mine, I will not be selling it on, so no foul in my eyes.

So simply put, two vertical cuts, snap off the bits, a quick sand to one side then prise it off. If it doesnt bend off, take a little more off the other side with the sanding attachment.

Last edited:
image.png

I tried adding this to my original post but it kept failing, so here is a the diagram to show things in an easier way to understand.

View attachment 200774 I like this vaporesso tank. But I hate hate hate this tank with the tpd restrictor.refills are thick and fast. The older version had the easily removable rubber bung. The latest version has a solid steel lump pressure fitted to the chimney. I read that clamping the bung in a vice and then finding a chimney size drift to hammer the two apart was an easy option. Remember that phrase, easy option.

First issues were almost funny. No doubt these were in a manual, but I found out by my usual ham fisted approach.

The drip tip pulls out. The top plate That the drip tip fits into) is reverse threaded.
The base with coil attached is a normal thread.
The middle section that is left attached to the glass is a reverse thread. I had fun working that out.

There are seals at top and bottom of the glass, once you have the glass out make sure you remove them and when you put it all back together later, refit them to the metal parts before re attaching the glass, trying with the seal still attached to the glass will likely damage them as they bunch up (I spotted that before destroying my seal as I attempted just that).

So, the easy bit then. Off to the garage, clamp the bung in a vice, get drift and hit it. No movement apart from the whole thing sliding in the vice. With about as much force as possible on the vice without destroying things, I tried again. No joy. So, to my mind, thats a non starter.

Plan B. Dremel and cutting disc. I have a few diamond cutting wheels instaed of the brittle cut off discs most use for dremel work, but either will do. You can clearly see where the chimney ends and the bung starts when looking at the top of the chimney. With the bung clamped in the vice near the edge of the vice, I cut vertically down the bung making sure I didnt damage the chimney. Maybe half a mm away from the chimney (if that). Once near the base I stopped and used a screwdriver to spread the slot and snap off the bit of bung I had cut free.

That where I thought I had messed up. I should add I had hoped the bung was hollow, its not, so a couple of other attempts had happened before settling on the vertical cut. It looked awful.

Anyway, once the bit of bung snapped off I could see what I was dealing with, I also realised that my vertical cut had cut into the normally wider part of the chimney at the base. It was here where I panicked and bought another tank on ebay btw.

Sorry, no pictures as at this point I was thinking I had blown it. I wasnt sure if that chimney cut was an option. Though I didnt think it was. So a quick clean, refit everything, refill, and test and all was well. It didnt take long til the 2ml was vaped away so back to the garage.

Another cut in the same manner (this time deliberately cutting to the same point knowing the extra loss of metal at the base added a tiny bit more liquid capacity with no detrimental effect. Again snapping off once near the base. Now we have just a slug of rectangular metal tpd rubbish to remove.

a dremel sanding tool next (the thin one that goes on a rubber mount on a shaft), I could see I had gone dangerously close to the chimney on one side than the other, that now worked in my favour. I sanded the metal away on the thicker side until i was able to see it was level with the chimney. You could see a line where the metal changed colour.

I now clamped one end of the rectangular slug of tpd bung in the vice, then with a pair of mole grips i gripped the other end and it bent like butter straight off the chimney. I had a small mark where I had Touched the chimney, but no real damage.

All cleaned and back together its now a decent little tank.

The only pic I have is the dead bung. Ignore the additional experimental cuts (in hindsight its obvious it was going to be solid). Its a shame manufacturers are following tpd in ways that are so hard to defeat by an end user. But at the same time, its good that they can be overcome with a little work. Its mine, I will not be selling it on, so no foul in my eyes.

So simply put, two vertical cuts, snap off the bits, a quick sand to one side then prise it off. If it doesnt bend off, take a little more off the other side with the sanding attachment.
Fair play bud. To buy a replacement tpd tank just to prove it can be done rather than grabbing the vaporesso skkr mini from ft for £16 is the kind of British pig headed attitude I always admire.
Lucky enough I got the unbunged cascade with my armour pro (still one of the best mods available I reckon) and any of the tanks using the ccell coils are blinding (they fit dozens of tanks from smok, eleaf ect).
Nice work.

I have a feeling there is more to be cut from the steel bung version than I have done so far. I inadvertantly cut deeper than planned when I was removing the main slug. Does anyone have a close up picture of the rubber bung version chimney portion of the cascade mini? I think vaporesso may have made the tank with both a solid part of machining, and also the additional bung segment. The bung I obviously got out of there, but it looks like what it exposed underneath is still an obstructive bit of metal that could be removed. I already have a big chunk out of both sides of the remaining steel, and the main bung is gone, but potentially more to go.

image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    720.1 KB · Views: 317
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Fair play bud. To buy a replacement tpd tank just to prove it can be done rather than grabbing the vaporesso skkr mini from ft for £16 is the kind of British pig headed attitude I always admire.
Lucky enough I got the unbunged cascade with my armour pro (still one of the best mods available I reckon) and any of the tanks using the ccell coils are blinding (they fit dozens of tanks from smok, eleaf ect).
Nice work.

The mini is now relegated to spare tank. The 'replacement tpd' was the full size cascade and as you can see, was a rubber bung model (yay). So all good in the end. I might still go back and hack a bit more steel out of the mini (baby?) but for now its in semi retirement.

View attachment 201276 View attachment 201277 View attachment 201278

The mini is now relegated to spare tank. The 'replacement tpd' was the full size cascade and as you can see, was a rubber bung model (yay). So all good in the end. I might still go back and hack a bit more steel out of the mini (baby?) but for now its in semi retirement.
View attachment 201276 View attachment 201277 View attachment 201278

Thanks for that information

Back
Top Bottom