What's new

How To Cotton Wick on a GP Heron - No Filler

ZT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right I'm doing this largely for @GROOF or anyone else who is considering one of these outstanding atomisers.

I'll state now, that this is not the correct way, the only way or the best way, this is just my way - and its had a 100% success rate with me so far.

Im going to assume you can build a basic micro coil and put it in place, and start from there ... if you can't do a search and learn the micro coil technique first, it will stand you in good stead for any atomiser you can use cotton with.

Also please excuse the dodgy late night photography!

----------------------------------------------

So, you have your coil in place right?

heronwick1.jpg

Next .. take a long thinnish piece of cotton, I've rested it here .. so you can see how much I use.

heronwick2.jpg

Now .. gently roll that cotton, squeeze it gently and slightly roll .. don't make a tight sausage .. keep it loose man. yeah.

you want a longer thinner end and a fatter end like so :

heronwick3.jpg

Now .. insert the THINNER end through your coil, and slowly draw it through .. you do NOT want the cotton to bunch up, if it does, pull it back smooth it and try again, it needs to be able to move freely backwards and forwards, while at the same time touching the inside of the coil all around.

heronwick4.jpg

Once thats done, take some tweezers - or your tool of choice ( @Merino-Teflon I CHOOSE YOU ) then curl the thinner end onto the deck off the atomiser.

heronwick5.jpg

now .. slip the fatter end through the ring of the coil enclosure and screw it down like this

heronwick6.jpg

at this point I wet my wick .. oh yes I do, then I come back and squeeze a bit of juice onto the cotton like this

heronwick7.jpg

once this is accomplished, take the enclosure top and thread the fat end through it .. rest the top on top of the enclosure and press it into place

heronwick8.jpg

Now thats done, take a screw driver and push a hole down the wick hole gently .. you need a gap for the juice to flow

heronwick9.jpg

now, I like to trim my cotton into a pointy diagonal - no idea why .. I just do.

heronwick10.jpg

thats it .. done .. fill up the top cap with juice, then invert the atomiser base and lower it onto the inverted top cap .. making sure not to get the cotton down the central bell, but going between the bell and the top cap wall. You are done

Hope this has been of some help :)

The flavour and vapour achieved off these things is absolutely incredible - with very little effort and a serious lack of hideous twiddlyness.

heronwick11.jpg

ZT

Last edited:
Build mine exactly the same apart from the step of making a hole with a screwdriver. I find it wicks fine. Such an amazing atomiser. Never used anything like it! :)

Build mine exactly the same apart from the step of making a hole with a screwdriver. I find it wicks fine. Such an amazing atomiser. Never used anything like it! :)

I think I partly do that step to push that side of the wick down onto the base a bit more as well .. helps mop up the juice if too much gets through

I think I partly do that step to push that side of the wick down onto the base a bit more as well .. helps mop up the juice if too much gets through

Yeah that's probably a good idea. I've had minor leakage though the hybrid pin on one occasion.

Yeah that's probably a good idea. I've had minor leakage though the hybrid pin on one occasion.

I have to say Ive not experienced any kind of leak yet, this is a first on ANY atomiser I've tried, no leaks, no gurgle, no flooding, no dry hits .. nada

this ... is why I have three

they are becoming the apple of the vaping world - easy to set up, easy to use, they just work and cost a small fortune :)

Last edited:
I have to say Ive not experienced any kind of leak yet, this is a first on ANY atomiser I've tried, no leaks, no gurgle, no flooding, no dry hits .. nada

this ... is why I have three

Was on my first build actually. The cotton somehow sunk inside the deck slightly and that's when it happened. Since then I leave a bit more cotton when I trim it and it's been fine. Wished I could afford 3 lol. Certainly will be getting another in due course :D

Was on my first build actually. The cotton somehow sunk inside the deck slightly and that's when it happened. Since then I leave a bit more cotton when I trim it and it's been fine. Wished I could afford 3 lol. Certainly will be getting another in due course :D

They are a Business outlay ...

I errr need them for testing

Back
Top Bottom