What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

How To Another how to build RDAs for beginners

Great vid and one of the best I've seen for actual quality of the footage so thumbs up for that. A lot of them are like watching through fog. I do have a question though. At the start you recommend building with spaced coils but you go on to build 'contact' coils. I've seen a ton of posts and vids about this so my simple question is. Single coils, spaced or contact?

Great vid and one of the best I've seen for actual quality of the footage so thumbs up for that. A lot of them are like watching through fog. I do have a question though. At the start you recommend building with spaced coils but you go on to build 'contact' coils. I've seen a ton of posts and vids about this so my simple question is. Single coils, spaced or contact?

Good question, and I'm afraid there isn't really an absolute answer unless you're using Ni200 (tempered) which should always be spaced. Otherwise it'll depend on what kind of vape you like, size of build deck, wire and all the variables IMO. The absolute best thing to do is practice by making a tonne of coils and seeing what works for your vaping style and preference :)

Good question, and I'm afraid there isn't really an absolute answer unless you're using Ni200 (tempered) which should always be spaced. Otherwise it'll depend on what kind of vape you like, size of build deck, wire and all the variables IMO. The absolute best thing to do is practice by making a tonne of coils and seeing what works for your vaping style and preference :)

Cheers, just wondered if there was a mechanical reason for it that I hadn't picked up on but that squares it away nicely.

Just made my first coil and wicked it perfectly with his video. Thank you for taking the time to make this and help newbies to this like me. [emoji106]

Really glad it's useful. I need to do the second in the coilbuilding series (only been about a year LOL), as soon as I get time for it I'm planning something that will hopefully be equally useful :)

Cheers, just wondered if there was a mechanical reason for it that I hadn't picked up on but that squares it away nicely.
There is indeed a mechanical reason, Speced coils are most important for Temperature control builds (Titanium, Ni200 & SS316) the spaced coils are less prone to resistance changes due to shorting of wraps when the coils heat and cool - stable resistance is vital for TC Builds. For basic power mode builds using Kanthal, Nichrome, and SS316 / 430 then contact (AKA Microcoils) are fine as the very small resistance changes (>0.02) ohms are not really important.

Brilliant video, thanks! Watched a few of your YouTube vids this evening as well, all good!!

There is indeed a mechanical reason, Speced coils are most important for Temperature control builds (Titanium, Ni200 & SS316) the spaced coils are less prone to resistance changes due to shorting of wraps when the coils heat and cool - stable resistance is vital for TC Builds. For basic power mode builds using Kanthal, Nichrome, and SS316 / 430 then contact (AKA Microcoils) are fine as the very small resistance changes (>0.02) ohms are not really important.

I would disagree slightly there, spaced for annealed Ni200 and Ti for sure (although even then you can get a reasonable temp control vape from something like twisted Ni200 as a contact coil), but temp control (or limiting) is fine with a SS 316 contact coil as long as you have worked out hotspots and the like. It's that variance in resistance when heated - that as far as I'm aware - the board reads and then does all clever calculations with to identify changes when dry to drop the power, and SS tends to be the most challenging to get to work correctly because that variance is so much less than with Ni or Ti.

Whenever I use TC on a mod, it's always SS and pretty much always a contact coil.

Having said all that, it's just based on my experience, and not having any coffee yet today LOL

Back
Top Bottom