What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

RTA/RDTA/RBA = TPD Proof?

Prolly best to avoid TPD compliant tanks with stock coils atm if what happened to me today is anything to go by.
Went into a shop, spotted a bronze Cleito EXO - realised it matched my mod as if it had been made for it...grabbed it even tho I know full well I could have got it cheaper elsewhere. Anyway. before I bought it I had it outta the box pulling it to bits - as ya do - couldn't get the tank section off the base, so I asked the guy if it was removeable - didn't wanna bust it before I even bought it and that. He said no, so I say..how the hell do you get the coil out to change it then? Use pliers he says. Think this is VERY strange but apparently it's to make sure the EXO is 'leakproof' as per regulation, *rolls eyes* So I get it home and attempt to unscrew coil with fingers so I can clean the thing before I use it...not happening, decide that pliers are a HUGELY bad idea and go to google. The freaking tank section does bloody detach, it's just needs a little welly at first to shift. The EXO works just the same way as the Cleito! And this guy is telling people to use bloody pliers to get their coil out!
I did email the shop to tell them not to go telling folk to start wrenching out coils with pliers :16: Had I been a new vaper I'd probs have a busted tank and a bricked mod right now coz the people who are meant to be advising don't even understand their own products anymore :doh:

Whenever I buy a new vape product, no matter what it is, I always spend some time watching some youtube video reviews. The review guys never leave any stones unturned. I find it the best way to learn all you need to know about your product before purchase. In fact, I have avoided a lot of inappropriate purchases buy finding out all about it first.

Having said the above, I still purchased a Wanko 17 rta and an Eleaf Lyche, even after watching some reviews, so no system is perfect :17:

Nothing new about vape shop assistants giving duff info or advice. Or garages or diy shops or anyone unqualified ...

You're right but I've been in that store before and the fella who works in there is an experienced vaper and knows the score. I got duff advice because he has no clue what to say about his new stock. As a long time vaper and mainly an RDA guy he's just not interested in the new stuff, he's not familiar with it. No excuse - he's selling and product knowledge is king, he needs to know how the kit works whether he's interested or not. In the other b&m I frequent they've been trying the new TPD stuff themselves, I got to try the EXO a week or so back so I knew it wasn't gonna be a pile of tat. The duff info thing is nowt new, but I reckon its gonna be happening a lot more often, even from assistants who used to know their stuff but are now floundering.

Morning Gentlemen,

Like yourselves I'm still slightly bitter, as an understatement, about the TPD sticking a collar & lead on the vaping community. The main gripe is the 2ml restriction on tanks which is more of an irritation than anything but I have spotted something that may mean our retailers have already indentified a means of ignoring the TPD whip.

As the clock struck 12 on the 20th May and tanks such as the Cloud Beast became illegal to be sold in the UK, I was busy making the transition from tanks to drippers and in the following week I have spotted something unexpected while browsing the retailers listings.

Whilst many big tanks died a death under the TPD guillotine, the only ones that didn't seem to budge an inch were either 2ml tanks understandably, drippers and more interestingly RTA's/RDTA's. It seems that providing the tank doesn't require pre-built coils it doesn't seem to be affected by the regulation, namely examples such as the Griffin 25 Plus, the OBS Engine Nano or even the TFV12 Cloud Beast King RBA version which are still openly sold by big name retailers and all are nearly triple the regulation size.

Now reading in to other threads on this topic, it seemed unanimously agreed that an RTA/RDTA is classed as 'parts' when it comes in the box due to it requiring assembly by the consumer and as such isn't classed as a 'tank atomiser'.

If this is indeed true then providing most vapers don't mind putting their dexterity through a minor workout once in a while then it's one slightly gentler kick in the spuds for us.

This is a double edged sword as any rebuilder will agree that DIY coiling is much more cost effective than pre-made coils (and some would argue better performing) due to lower material costs along with longer service life compared to off-the-shelf items, meanwhile allowing us to maintain access to decent tank capacity that you could blow your way through in a matter of minutes.

Thoughts on the matter?
Great news, I only do RBA's now as prebuilt coilheads are expensive by comparison. Great that the TPD twats haven't reduced us all to 2ml tanks, not that the flavors affected, it's just that there a pain in the arse to keep refilling. I've just ordered a Smok Spirals Plus from China as it holds 4ml as opposed to the 2ml of the Spirals.

Prolly best to avoid TPD compliant tanks with stock coils atm if what happened to me today is anything to go by.
Went into a shop, spotted a bronze Cleito EXO - realised it matched my mod as if it had been made for it...grabbed it even tho I know full well I could have got it cheaper elsewhere. Anyway. before I bought it I had it outta the box pulling it to bits - as ya do - couldn't get the tank section off the base, so I asked the guy if it was removeable - didn't wanna bust it before I even bought it and that. He said no, so I say..how the hell do you get the coil out to change it then? Use pliers he says. Think this is VERY strange but apparently it's to make sure the EXO is 'leakproof' as per regulation, *rolls eyes* So I get it home and attempt to unscrew coil with fingers so I can clean the thing before I use it...not happening, decide that pliers are a HUGELY bad idea and go to google. The freaking tank section does bloody detach, it's just needs a little welly at first to shift. The EXO works just the same way as the Cleito! And this guy is telling people to use bloody pliers to get their coil out!
I did email the shop to tell them not to go telling folk to start wrenching out coils with pliers :16: Had I been a new vaper I'd probs have a busted tank and a bricked mod right now coz the people who are meant to be advising don't even understand their own products anymore :doh:
Aye mate. I just unscrew the top and push down on the coil and it pops out the bottom with the base [emoji23]. We have them in the shop i work at. Great tanks i like the new coil. But have been using the standard cleito coils for the added capacity. How u finding it i prefer the draw i get from the exo

Aye mate. I just unscrew the top and push down on the coil and it pops out the bottom with the base [emoji23]. We have them in the shop i work at. Great tanks i like the new coil. But have been using the standard cleito coils for the added capacity. How u finding it i prefer the draw i get from the exo

I've not tried the new coil yet, been using the stock 0.4 SS coil. Wanted to try the 0.16 coil in one of my exisiting Cleitos coz I read somewhere that the new coils don't fit the old Cleito...which seemed like a sack of crap to me but I wanted to see for myself. Turned out to be a sack of the proverbial ofc, one size fits all with the Cleito lol

Yep I like the draw on it, like a Cleito with the airflow about halfway shut I'd say. Can't say I prefer it coz that's about where I'd have my standard Cleito at anyway, so for me its 6 or two 3's :)
Tell ya what does annoy me tho - too damn hard to see juice level! Not a biggie, but only coz I love the colour of mine so much. If it wasn't such a perfect match for my mod I'd be grumbling about that a lot more I'm sure :D

Whenever I buy a new vape product, no matter what it is, I always spend some time watching some youtube video reviews. The review guys never leave any stones unturned. I find it the best way to learn all you need to know about your product before purchase. In fact, I have avoided a lot of inappropriate purchases buy finding out all about it first.

I'm the same, any vape gear I've ever purchased has always been the result of Youtube reviewer's feedback. Obviously you need to take their feedback with a pinch of salt but if the same pros & cons are highlighted unanimously then who's to argue.

My 'go-to' Youtube reviewers include:

• Rip Trippers
  • Vaping Bogan (probably my favourite reviewer as he swears like his life depends on it and even reviews beer)
  • Indoor Smokers
  • Todd Reviews
  • Vaping with Vick
  • Jai Haze

I'm not complaining one bit about rebuildables being unaffected as I've just had to revert back to my Innokin Kroma with a 2ml Slipstream tank since my Alien mod decided to go bang two days ago which has meant I can't use any other of my other tanks while I wait for the replacement Alien to arrive.

I can easily chin 2ml in 20 minutes in the Kroma and the constant dry hits are nothing short of annoying!

I'm the same, any vape gear I've ever purchased has always been the result of Youtube reviewer's feedback. Obviously you need to take their feedback with a pinch of salt but if the same pros & cons are highlighted unanimously then who's to argue.

My 'go-to' Youtube reviewers include:

• Rip Trippers
  • Vaping Bogan (probably my favourite reviewer as he swears like his life depends on it and even reviews beer)
  • Indoor Smokers
  • Todd Reviews
  • Vaping with Vick
  • Jai Haze
Agree with Indoor smokers and Rip and would add Dean the vaping biker, Grimm Green (but he does go on a bit) and Zophie vapes because she is hot.

Back
Top Bottom