What's new

More bad publicity....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppose its like saying you can only contract Emphysema if youve worked in a coal mine.

Quoted from the link.

Bronchiolitis obliterans is an inflammatory condition that affects the lung's tiniest airways, the bronchioles. In affected people, the bronchioles may become damaged and inflamed leading to extensive scarring that blocks the airways. Signs and symptoms of the condition include a dry cough; shortness of breath; and/or fatigue and wheezing in the absence of a cold or asthma.[1][2][3] Many different chemicals (such as nitrogen oxides, ammonia, welding fumes or food flavoring fumes) and respiratory infections can cause lung injury that leads to bronchiolitis obliterans. It can also be associated with rheumatoid arthritis and graft-versus-host disease following a lung or hematopoietic cell transplantation.[3] While there is no way to reverse the disease, treatments are available that may stabilize or slow the progression.

It’s not really like saying that. There are a
number of causes of emphysema and smoking is a major one. If you look at any information about emphysema it will say that smoking causes it. It won’t say exposure to toxic chemicals, and leave the reader to deduce that that might include smoking.

I’ve not seen anything that says conclusively that smoking causes popcorn lung. In fact there’s evidence that it’s a protective factor for people exposed to chemicals that do cause it, as I mentioned above.

It’s not really like saying that. There are a
number of causes of emphysema and smoking is a major one. If you look at any information about emphysema it will say that smoking causes it. It won’t say exposure to toxic chemicals, and leave the reader to deduce that that might include smoking.

I’ve not seen anything that says conclusively that smoking causes popcorn lung. In fact there’s evidence that it’s a protective factor for people exposed to chemicals that do cause it, as I mentioned above.
I have explained before that you cant say the condition that has been given the term popcorn lung is caused by smoking as cigarettes do not contain popcorn.

I have explained before that you cant say the condition that has been given the term popcorn lung is caused by smoking as cigarettes do not contain popcorn.

The condition that has been given the name popcorn lung is the same condition as BO, the condition we are talking about. Popcorn lung is a common (non medical) name for the disease BO.

Popcorn doesn’t cause popcorn lung either. You can get tennis elbow without playing tennis. And people who aren’t housemaids can get housemaid’s knee.

The condition that has been given the name popcorn lung is the same condition as BO, the condition we are talking about. Popcorn lung is a common (non medical) name for the disease BO.

Popcorn doesn’t cause popcorn lung either. You can get tennis elbow without playing tennis. And people who aren’t housemaids can get housemaid’s knee.
BO is the umbrella as previously explained that all obstructive airway diseases fall under including PCL.

From the government blog post about e-cigarettes:

One of the most commonly held concerns is that e-cigarettes might cause ‘popcorn lung’. This came about because some flavourings used in e-liquids to provide a buttery flavour contain the chemical diacetyl, which at very high levels of exposure has been associated with the serious lung disease bronchiolitis obliterans.

The condition gained its popular name because it was initially observed among workers in a popcorn factory.”

It’s a rare disease. Also known as popcorn lung.

This is from Wikipedia and lists the causes of Bronchiolitis Obliterans.
Only one of the listed causes is due to diactyl inhalation.
Only diactyl is the cause of "Popcorn Lung" yet the other causes are also listed as causes of Bronchiolitis Obliterans.
Can you explain why?

Bronchiolitis obliterans has many possible causes, including collagen vascular disease, transplant rejection in organ transplant patients, viral infection (respiratory syncytial virus, adenovirus, HIV, cytomegalovirus), Stevens-Johnson syndrome, Pneumocystis pneumonia, drug reaction, aspiration and complications of prematurity (bronchopulmonary dysplasia), and exposure to toxic fumes, including diacetyl, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, ammonia, chlorine, thionyl chloride, methyl isocyanate, hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen bromide, hydrogen chloride, hydrogen sulfide, phosgene, polyamide-amine dyes, mustard gas and ozone. It can also be present in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.[9] Certain orally administrated emergency medications, such as activated charcoal, have been known to cause it when aspirated.[10] The ingestion of large doses of papaverine in the vegetable Sauropus androgynus has caused it.[11] Additionally, the disorder may be idiopathic (without known cause).[12][13][14]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom