What's new

Latest Advice in Relation to TPD

I have just sent Mr Grayling the following email. I wanted to do it from work as my personal email address does not lend itself well for ventures such as this.

Dear Mr Grayling,

By way of an introduction I am a qualified nurse and have successfully managed to stop using tobacco products after 34 years thanks to e-cigarettes.

I am writing to politely request that you amend an error in respect a statement you made regarding the Tobacco Products Directive. I believe that you made the following statement because you yourself had been misled on the matter and am not questioning your integrity in any way.

Fingers crossed enough of us have done this and thanks for the well laid out first post @ossettbob :)
Very well put. I like it. [emoji106]

Frankly until the last few weeks contacting my MP has felt pretty pointless, she never replies. However the feedback we have been getting regarding the social media and email onslaught has been pretty encouraging. It is being described as 'huge' and 'unprecedented'. Not in public you understand, but that is the terminology being used at 'lunch' and 'during a brief meeting'. What we are doing is working, but it needs lots of people to send a couple of email, not a couple of people to send lots of emails.

Frankly until the last few weeks contacting my MP has felt pretty pointless, she never replies. However the feedback we have been getting regarding the social media and email onslaught has been pretty encouraging. It is being described as 'huge' and 'unprecedented'. Not in public you understand, but that is the terminology being used at 'lunch' and 'during a brief meeting'. What we are doing is working, but it needs lots of people to send a couple of email, not a couple of people to send lots of emails.

Well said. Is your MP the one for Wakefield area ?

Well said. Is your MP the one for Wakefield area ?
Nope I have the honour of having Naz Shah as an MP, only interested in climbing the ladder at Westminster (until her recent gaffe) and keeping the city centre community happy. Out in the villages on the outskirts where we have different challenges she isn't too interested.

Nope I have the honour of having Naz Shah as an MP, only interested in climbing the ladder at Westminster (until her recent gaffe) and keeping the city centre community happy. Out in the villages on the outskirts where we have different challenges she isn't too interested.

I think they're mostly all like that, I know mine is like that (Tory Amber Rudd). She isn't interested in the town of Hastings and St Leonards, just the constituency villages and Rye, it's where most of her voters live.

I sent copy of e-mail to my MP. This is reply :-

Dear Mr Gibson
Thank you for contacting me recently regarding the revised EU Tobacco Products
Directive, and specifically how this will affect electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes).
The revised TPD concerns the regulation of e-cigarettes and herbal products and
includes changes to the sizes of e-liquid bottles available and places restrictions on
how much nicotine they can contain. Alongside its provisions on e-cigarettes, the
regulations include rules concerning the composition and labelling of tobacco
products.
I understand that there is concern regarding the EU Tobacco Products Directive
(TPD). A petition against the relevant section of the Directive was recently presented
to the Department of Health having been signed by more than 71,000 people.
E-cigarettes are becoming increasingly popular and I share your views about the
benefits of vaping over smoking. I believe recent research shows that some of the
initial concerns about e-cigarettes were overstated and that vaping can be a safe and
effective way to give up smoking.
The Government takes the view that it is essential it does not encourage smoking
and that it continues to protect children from the dangers of nicotine, and has
therefore welcomed the rules set out in the revised TPD.
I believe the Government has a duty to help protect future generations from the
dangers of smoking, and overall, I believe these regulations will help reduce the
uptake of smoking amongst young- people, and help ensure the safety and quality of
e-cigarettes.
However, I believe the Government should be doing more to promote e-cigarettes as
a potentially useful aid to help people quit smoking. I also believe Ministers should
establish a monitoring mechanism to measure whether the Directive, which came into
force on 20 May 2016, will have a negative impact on the number of smokers using ecigarettes.
In addition, the Government should launch a public awareness campaign
to re-assure smokers that vaping is much less harmful than smoking'
I am aware of Lord Callanan's motion in the House of Lords to annrul the regulations
which transpose the TPD into UK law" As you may be aware, this has now been
withdrawn and replaced by a motion of regret. My Shadow Frontbench colleagues
have also tabled a motion of regret in the Lords, which outlines the Opposition's
concerns regarding the Directive.
Thank you once again for contacting me and for sharing your views, which I will
continue to bear in mind if and when this issue is debated in Parliament.

That's a nice one :) not 100% approval, but moving in the right direction and not! A c+p

Back
Top Bottom