What's new

The Blotto v1.5 Tester Event, “The Results”

Squidgy

Achiever
Welcome to the Blotto v1.5 Tester Event, “The Results”

As most of you will be aware Dovpo have recently hosted a couple of tester events. The first being the Blotto Max and this one, the Blotto v.15. Both run in unison in the same group chat but reported on individually in an attempt to uncomplicate things.

Released in the shadow of the Max the v1.5. An upgraded/revised version of the original Blotto. I have and still use the original Blotto’s which are in my opinion outstanding RTA’s. I will confess though, although these tanks are marketed as dual coil beasts, I found the originals performed superbly with single builds and what makes them even better is the huge capacity, even with the skinny glass fitted. When I first found out a revised version was being released, I admit, I was a bit sceptical as I couldn’t see how it could be any better and if it was, surely it would only be marginal.

So, the obvious step now is to look at the differences between the original and the v1.5.

upload_2022-1-28_11-24-6.png

Starting from the bottom up and a significant change is the orientation of the bottom airflow grill, rather than the grills travelling in line with the coil wraps they now go from end to end of the coil(s).

upload_2022-1-28_11-24-31.png

There’s a little more depth in threading on the deck to attach the chimney section, the sloping sides under the floating deck have been removed and the bottle cap design on the AFC has changed.

upload_2022-1-28_11-25-15.png

The airflow posts have slimmed down and are slightly closer together. A small change in shape also.

upload_2022-1-28_11-25-35.png

The fill cap has had a couple of recesses machined into it.

upload_2022-1-28_11-25-52.png

The chimney section has been shortened.

upload_2022-1-28_11-26-13.png

The fill cap now spots a slightly domed top and the bottle cap design changed to match the new AFC ring.

upload_2022-1-28_11-26-35.png

Some minor tweaks here and there, but the most noticeable difference is quite unmistakeable when you have them side by side, it’s a stocky looking fellow.

upload_2022-1-28_11-26-53.png

Further Info

Colour

The Blotto v1.5 is currently available in three different colours in-line with the recent Blotto Max release.

upload_2022-1-28_11-27-30.png

Features

You may recognise this bit… The Blotto v1.5 RTA sports the original honeycomb style airflow control ring, it also features the honeycomb holes within the build deck on the insides of the airflow posts to provide an “advanced air diffusion solution” and is claimed to offer superior flavour to match your taste. Also claiming that you can tell the E-liquid profile layer by layer from one deep puff.

It has 272° Airflow around the coil(s) (The Original was allegedly 242°), It has improved metal backed airflow posts, improved cotton well design, an airier under coil airflow design, strengthened AFC and base, dual diffusion airflow and is easy filling. Where the Blotto Max measures 28mm the v1.5 remains the same as the original at 26mm.

upload_2022-1-28_11-27-56.png

Although the Blotto v1.5 is a squatter tank, surprisingly the capacity has suffered less than expected, the chubbier bubble glass giving that bit extra.

upload_2022-1-28_11-28-12.png

That’s enough for all the spec balderdash for now, it’s time to move onto the juicy bit.

Testing

I’m hoping that by now you’ve read the Blotto Max Testing Results, but if you haven’t, I suggest you do as it gives you a little insight as to how the testing event is run. So rather than bore you again with the details, I’m going to quickly refresh your memories with the basics.

· Dovpo Run a thread asking for 3 testers.
· Testers were selected and hack400 was also welcomed into the party.
· A private group chat was set up so things could be discussed and generally take the mick out of each other.
· Dovpo sent preferred colours along with some merch.
· There was much rejoicing.

The testers selected for the Blotto v1.5 were

@Astral
@gary68
@hack400
@richierich
@Squidgy (Co-ordinator)

As stated before, the main aims were to have some fun doing it, provide an unbiased opinion of the Blotto v1.5, and to provide Dovpo with feedback.

In double quick time all the testers were in receipt of their goodie bundle…

upload_2022-1-28_11-29-27.png

As before, we had an odd gremlin that needed kicking into touch, be it down to Dovpo’s first production run, the heavy handedness of postman pat, StrawberryRipple nibbling things he shouldn’t or Astral’s Hulk like strength, but with Andy’s lightning speed it was sorted in a flash.

It’s fair to say again the testers put the v1.5 through its paces co-ordinating with different builds and coil positions, was like the Kama sutra of vaping, again I have numerous pictures of builds with different coils, sizes, materials, positions, singles, duals etc. etc. (A selection of build pictures will follow this post)

Some more interesting things learnt along the way.

Our esteemed colleague that has a rather unique juice naming fetish has since confessed to mixing Gary’s Cream 69 with Grahams Crack, we can only surmise he is either a little warped or is trying to improve the juice from both ends! If I recall correctly though this came about in an attempt to make Gary’s Cream a bit less Bavarian.

As before, below are some extracts from the chat group relating to the v1.5 testing just to give you a taster of how it all went, even though we all got a bit distracted from time to time.

[Gary68] - Looks fanfuckingtastic on the (poor man's) Riva 200. Oh yeah. Used the 3mm ID 0.3 OHM ni80 fused claptons. 37.5 Watts wide open lovely (slightly) restricted draw.

[Astral] - Well that was my worst bit of coiling and wicking in ages but the V1.5 performed well regardless and vaped well. Smooth, silent, hot and extremely flavoursome. Great airflow too.

[hack400] - I've now put 3 or 4 tanks of DripHacks Apple Blackcurrant through the 1.5. Unfortunately, my Oxva Arbiter 2 will now find itself in the cupboard where it will likely stay for a while. The Blotto 1.5 knocks the pants off it.

[Astral] - I've used spaced SS316 fused Clapton's for 0.38 ohms and the flavour is immense. It's putting some of my MTL tanks in the shade and I never expected that. The airflow is fine too, even for someone that usually likes a tighter draw. It's so good I’m not even noticing it and have adapted like a duck to water.

[Gary68] - 3mm ID 0.36ohm complex coil? Don't know what it's called or material. Just the biggest coil I had in my Bits-n-pieces box. Lovely cooler, slightly airier vape @36 Watts.

[richierich] - A mouthful of tea has just shot out my nose (A reaction to Gary’s Cream)

[Gary68] - Loving the v1.5 single centred build I've got in there though not over airy at all.

[richierich] - Straight glass is stuck tight, which is a shame cos i really wanted to fit the "frosted piss*" bubble section to be different

[Astral] - I've gone for one of those fancy-schmancy chainlink coils today. Tastes great even though I'm not used to NI80. It went in and wicked really easily too. Happy days.

[richierich] - No leakage, no wicking issues, working great first time, Well happy!!

[Gary68] - LEAD ME NOT INTO TEMPTATION Mc @Squidgy (Referring to the Riva DNA version)

[Squidgy] - Oh but its soooooo goooooooood!!! you don't know what you’re missing.

[hack400] - Oh but its soooooo goooooooood!!!

[Dovpo_uk] - Soooooooooooo. Gooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Gary68] - Alot better airflow with shorter legs and tucked into the arches.

[Gary68] - Didn't think it possible. But my (gary68 hb custard) tastes better than ever today. I'm actually "gleeking" Thanks to the brilliant BLOTTO of course. And my awesome coiling skills

[richierich] - I've had no issues with the 1.5 so far. The zeus x has not been picked up since the Blotto turned up

Blotto v1.5 (what!) Build & Wicking Guide

There is no wicking guide from us this time for the v1.5. To be honest there isn’t any difference to the build and wicking techniques to that of the Max, the build deck is just a little tighter, so for dual coils they would either need to be less complex, a flat Clapton for example or reduced to 2.5mm ID’s.

So for reference the Max guide is here.

Finally! The Results

Individual scores…

gary68 – 9.7/10
richierich – 9.7/10
Astral – 8.1/10
hack400 – 9.0/10
Squidgy – 9.5/10

Overall – 9.2/10

(If you’re interested a more detailed breakdown of the scoring including comments is attached)

Conclusion

So, for the big question, would I buy two Blotto v1.5’s to replace my original Blotto’s. The v1.5 is noticeably improved compared to the original, but it would be a No! from me, but probably for the wrong reasons. I know if I was to bite the bullet and buy the v1.5’s my originals aren’t making it to early retirement, which would mean I would also have to purchase a couple more Riva’s for them to sit on, therefore having to accommodate a further two setups in my rotation. I think… actually no! I know, Mrs S would not be impressed which would be made worse by the expression on my smug little face as she glares at me through the fog.

That said, if I was Blotto-less and had the choice of any, for Dual Coil setups with the occasional single coil, it would have to be the Max. For single coil setups with the occasional dual, it would have to be the v1.5. In my humble opinion, for DTL vapers that prefer large capacity tanks there is no need for anything else, but these two.

Last of all, I had to add this because I think this speaks volumes, Andy (Dovpo) asked a couple of questions to all the testers… Would the Blotto’s (Both v1.5 and Max) remain in their rotations? To which all replied with a resounding “Hell Yeah”. The second question was… If asked would the v1.5 testers be willing to send their tanks to the Max testers and vice versa, would the Max testers send their tanks to the v1.5 testers. I would say all politely declined but it wasn’t that polite to be honest, let’s just say the suggestion was declined. What more is there to say?

Job done! It’s been an absolute blast and a pleasure to interact with such a great troop. A big thanks to Andy & Dovpo and to all the testers for making my job a doddle.

Attachments

• Blotto v1_5 Scores.pdf
    133.4 KB · Views: 68
One thing i forgot to add to my sheet was, the 1.5 is an improvement over the original. The glass section is now held on with an oring, compared to the original which came off as soon as you unscrewed the deck

Back
Top Bottom