Vape Club
What's new

Ss316L flatwire

then you prove my point, no? even your advanced oven isn’t hot enough to anneal the wire. :)

@zouzounaki
Have it your own way.
I was trying to explain in a layman's / non engineers point of view that you do not have to heat steel until the point where it is glowing in order to anneal it.
This is made somewhat difficult as you seem to have convinced yourself from the article you read that it is not safe to do this.

@Jd_
To anneal steel requires exactly the opposite of "quenching in water" that would harden it further, to anneal it should be cooled as slowly as possible.

If you are still interested in this subject below is a link to a chart that shows the various colours that the oxide coating on steel goes through as it is heated up.
This chart is for ordinary steel, but stainless will be much the same.
As you can see you do not have to heat the stainless steel until it is glowing red / orange (that would actually cause it to lose it's stainless properties)
For your purposes anywhere from "dark grey" through to "red" should make it softer.

https://makeitfrommetal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Heat-Colors-of-Steel.pdf

Elux
@zouzounaki
Have it your own way.
I was trying to explain in a layman's / non engineers point of view that you do not have to heat steel until the point where it is glowing in order to anneal it.
This is made somewhat difficult as you seem to have convinced yourself from the article you read that it is not safe to do this.

it’s up to yourself if you want to heat the wire, i’m not fussed.

AcmeFog
Royal Flush Vape
Back
Top Bottom