Vape Club
What's new

Understanding the Mech thing.

u8myufo

Achiever
Ok, whilst I can appreciate the styling of a lot of Mech Mods and the fact they have better and more conductive components for power to pass through, what are the real life advantages over a VV/VW when it comes to the actual thing they were designed for? Also are there a few things one needs to be aware of when using a Mech, other than an understanding of your battery and coils? From my very short time vaping I have learnt that some of my liquids and a few that I have purchased, vape and taste so differently at slightly different power settings, even using a Protank 2 and an iClear 30 makes a difference, at least to me. So let`s say I had a mech and stuck a Protank 2 on it with my fave liquid "A". I start vaping and I am not completely happy with flavour or vape, surely I am then what is known as fucked!! It might well be simple to those in the know but I am just trying to get an understanding of it all in laymans terms.

E-liquids.com
1) your vv/vw electronic device may die due to a blown component. No such trouble with a mech mod
2) if you drop vv/vw or go swimming with it, its also most likely dead. Again, no such trouble with a mech mod
3) if you ask your vv/vw device to deliver HUGE power, it'll decline. A mech mod will "just do it", even sacrificng its own life in an attempt to please its master
4) About the taste, as a mech mod owner you will wind your own coil to suit the taste you like...so whereas with vv/vw you push a button to adjust the vape, for a mech mod you will wind different coils to different resistances as you like your juice.
5) they're cheaper, for the non-arty-engraved-limited version. Its "just" a metal tube and a switch

I'm not that knowledgeable, but one thing with mechs is that if you use liquid 'A' in a protank and it isn't quite right, you alter your coils to suit.

Others will now come along and explain it properly!!

AcmeFog
Thanks Vern and Blossom, you have really answered my next question, as the only possible way I could see of changing it to suite would be the coil. That has made things a lot clearer, one last thing do all mechs use a kick?

Smoore
the use of a kick is model dependent ..some come supplied with an extension .others are telescopic ...personally i dont use a kick .seems to defeat the object of having a mechanical mod

I never use a kick in my mechanical devices. I wouldn't use a protank on one either. The simplicity of a mechanical device is what I like best (not much can go wrong) and they are usually more aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. I tend to stick to dripping atomizers on them too. I've been using them long enough now to know what works, what is going to give me the best throat hit and vapour production.

Vape Green
Innokin
to give an idea of a mech noob i just got my first mech 2 days ago. upgrade from a basic ego and a kamry x6 ( justa 3 voltage basic unit nothing fancy ).
was kindly sent a free mech from anotehr vaper on another site. a puresmoker legacy.
its heavy, takes an 18650 ( or slightly smaller battery with a kick ) comes in brushed stainless steel and has a lockable bottom firing button.
took me a few minutes to adjust and add some washers in the bottom cap so the battery would fire ( came supplied with bag with extra washers, spring etc ).

so my first mech.. all good.. but to get the best outa this thing i need a rebuildable atty and heres where the RSST comes in. very simple. some mesh, kanthal wire, a lighter some tweezers, some scissors and some luck. so following you tube instructions cut a rectangle of the mesh around 30mm x 35mm. folded over one end then i hand rolled mine until it would fit in the rsst snugly.
then using a lighter ( micro butane blow torch, or you gas cooker hob will do ) and holding the mesh with tweezers i flamed it until it glowed orange for a minute or so. then added a few drops of juice and lit it to burn it off creating a coating on the mesh ( oxidizing it basically ). popped the mesh in the RSST then cut a length of grade .32 kanthal and stuck one end under the screw on the rsst and wound 4 coils around the mesh and then attached other end of wire to centre post.
used the tweezers to adjust the spacing until it looked half decent then attched to the mech and used the quick fire pulsing method to check for hotspost ont he coils ( oh before all this i used my ohm meter to check coil res and it was a stable 2.1 ohms ).
after about a minut of pulse firing on and off i had 4 nicely even glowing coils.
dripped some juice on and fired it up for a longer burn. lovely plumes of vapour

so then filled up the tank with a couple of mls of juice stuck on drip tip and fired away.
the result a working rsst on first go and tons of vapour and flavour 10x better than what i had had previously.
but more important was the satisfaction knowing id done it all myself with the whole coils and mesh thing and hadnt made any major cock ups.

the downside

well the kids have had the current round of cough/sore throats and ive finally succumbed and sound like an 80 a day smoker so im holding off on vaping anything otehr than some nice mild coffee juice and some RB ( anyone out there fancy making some cough mixture juice ( soothing honey and lemon or cough candy drops !)
so the benefits .. better taste, more vape, immense satisfaction in making your own coils.. cheap as chips to maintain and run..failry indestructable battery mod.

the cons... kills your throat when you have the manflu! as it can create some big hitting vapes!

Back
Top Bottom