Vape Club
What's new

First mesh build on the Taifun

vapemac

Veteran
Bloody hell........

So i watched a few tutorials and was conned into thinking that it would be easy. I had some free time and a wee bit of freebie mesh from a stealth vape order a while back so i thought why not.

I started by oxidising the mesh, rolling it and heating it again. Easy peasey! This was really to lull me into a sense of false security. I then started to wrap my coil around the mesh, it looked a bit wonky but i thought I could sort it out when i installed it. Only i couldn't because the coil was absolutely massive and i hadn't factored in the tiny little space between the posts. I unwrapped some rolls from the mesh recoiled and tried to fit again, only i couldn't get it to sit nicely without it touching the sides. So i removed, used my coiling jig and made a nice wee coil, fitted it, fired and pinched it and got it glowing nicely. I slid the mesh tube into the coil, pulled up the chimney and fired and all that would glow was the coil legs.

At this point, stupidity and tiredness sunk in and i tired to move the mesh tube with my fingers. Bad idea!

Anyway to cut a long story short. I finally got it to work. My build is sitting at 1.29ohms, the cloud production is good but the taste is kinda muted. Think I'm gonna have to have another bash at this another night!

Sorry the picture is really fuzzy
DSC_0523.JPG

Royal Flush Vape
What kanthal are you using (mm please, I don't do American [emoji6]) got any pics of it after you've pulled the base up?
Edit.
@Rob would be good here, I think he has a taifun permanently meshed

What kanthal are you using (mm please, I don't do American [emoji6]) got any pics of it after you've pulled the base up?

I used 0.32mm

Naw no more pictures. I took a proper lady strop and just wanted it finished :D

Vape Green
I used 0.32mm

Naw no more pictures. I took a proper lady strop and just wanted it finished :D
Mesh is as much of artform as keeping the missus happy. Go slow, take your time and just tweak it a little here and there until it's happy.
I'd go for a more spaced coil personally (I've always wanted to try a taifun just never got round to it)

I love it for cotton builds. It's one of my favourite tanks although it is a bit of a beast.

I think that's probably where i went wrong. I'll need to practise my spaced coils.

The Electronic Cigarette Company
I had a couple draws on my mesh build this morning and by christ the draw is silky smooth though. No gurgles or pops

Vape Green
From the picture supplied, which may well have been superseded by now, the coil is sitting quite a way above the air hole in the base? What I do is do it the opposite way round, i.e. coil downwards.
What I would do as well to help with getting flavour instantly on a new mesh wick, is ....... Once you have rolled it and got it to the size you want, I'd pop some liquid on the roll and then torch it until all the liquid has burnt off. Repeat this 3 or 4 times, then, when you have built it and filled, you'll get far more flavour from the outset.
As @Jugg1es says, mesh improves tremendously with have been really soaked, so your leaving it over night will have sorted it.:2thumbsup:

From the picture supplied, which may well have been superseded by now, the coil is sitting quite a way above the air hole in the base? What I do is do it the opposite way round, i.e. coil downwards.
What I would do as well to help with getting flavour instantly on a new mesh wick, is ....... Once you have rolled it and got it to the size you want, I'd pop some liquid on the roll and then torch it until all the liquid has burnt off. Repeat this 3 or 4 times, then, when you have built it and filled, you'll get far more flavour from the outset.
As @Jugg1es says, mesh improves tremendously with have been really soaked, so your leaving it over night will have sorted it.:2thumbsup:
Almost didn't recognise you there rob! Haha

Yeah, it is sitting awfully high but there was a wee bit of reasoning behind it. The first two attempts had the coil and the mesh touching the posts so i thought to lift it higher to give it a wee bit of extra space. The other thing I was finding that if i installed it lower, when i pulled up the chimney the mesh tube bended upwards. I had read somewhere that it's better to keep it as straight as possible? I dunno if that's right?

There is a remarkable difference today. I dunno if that's down to me being slightly less pissed off. Like you both said the soaking overnight will have helped as well. Hopefully as i get better at it i can get my mesh tighter and installed lower. How do you maintain the mesh once it's in? Does it need dry burned on occasion?

Thanks for the help both! :)

Premier Ecigs
Yes, Dry Burning will be required occasionally. the frequency will depend upon what liquid you are using. I find that a week of "Sweet Kentucky" is about right, same with Chiricahua Sun. Anything less invasive will mean you can go far longer, but a Dry Burn is such a doddle that I really don't mind. Just leave everything as is and then just dry burn. Easy as that.

Re the Mesh and a slight curve, not a problem when the coil is slightly below the channels. But whatever works For YOU is what matters!!

Yes, new avatar as I am now a full time Crew Member on The Black Pig serving under Cap'n Toby.

Back
Top Bottom