What's new

Work meeting about smoking policy/ vaping

The last paragraph of this...especially the last couple of sentences.
HSE recommendations carry a LOT of weight in the workplace, an HSE COP (code of practice) is as strong as legislation if it’s found that an incident occurred because you haven’t followed it, for example.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/smoking.htm
The very last paragraph of that document is the big issue. It recognises that they can't force vapers into the smoking area

Probably far too late,

But I’d focus on the benefits to the company. Medium and long-term absence rates correlate to smoking, as does poorer productivity. Employers that support and encourage their employees to switch/quit stand to gain a double dividend: happier and healthier staff.

Encouraging vaping by making somewhere available on site is a win-win-win.

Hope you have fun and get a little justice.

I didn't even get a chance to pitch anything really, one of the other union members was very anti everything regarding smoking/vaping. I tried to out a point of view across but got told by another union member if I push it it may result in a complete ban of everything on sites and piss everybody off smoker or Vaper.
Basically the HR chair closed me down saying they're are classed as the same in the companies eyes and that is it!
I said out of the meeting I would raise a near miss when standing next to a smoker in the smoking area and was advised not to by another unions member. Instead I was advised to do surveys and get strength in numbers to then put a case across. He may be right but that takes time and I'm beaten by a lot of company bullshit already.

I didn't even get a chance to pitch anything really, one of the other union members was very anti everything regarding smoking/vaping. I tried to out a point of view across but got told by another union member if I push it it may result in a complete ban of everything on sites and piss everybody off smoker or Vaper.
Basically the HR chair closed me down saying they're are classed as the same in the companies eyes and that is it!
I said out of the meeting I would raise a near miss when standing next to a smoker in the smoking area and was advised not to by another unions member. Instead I was advised to do surveys and get strength in numbers to then put a case across. He may be right but that takes time and I'm beaten by a lot of company bullshit already.

I see that the anti bullying rep wasnt present at this meeting

And this is why I don't do unions. Yes they can do some good, but at the cost of having to fit into their agenda.
Sorry it didn't go well today, but with any luck the way acceptance has moved forward, they'll be in the minority until they change their viewpoint.

Back
Top Bottom