What's new

Has anyone seen this horrendousity?

Claims of lowered risk or health benefits for heat-not-burn tobacco products are based on industry-funded research, but reliable independent research is not available to support these claims.[4] No compelling evidence has been presented for the claims of lowered risk and health benefits for these products.[4] RIVM stated that heat-not-burn products appear to be less detrimental to health than traditional cigarettes.[5] There is not enough research to provide a balanced view on their detrimentalness.[5] Some scientists believe that heat-not-burn tobacco products to be as dangerous as traditional cigarettes.[4]

Carlos Jiménez, director of research on smoking at the Spanish Society of Pneumonology and Thoracic Surgery stated in 2017 that these products are still harmful.[7] Action on Smoking and Health stated in 2016 that due to "the tobacco industry's long record of deceit" regarding the health risks involving smoking, it is important to conduct independent studies into the health effects of these products.[8] Marketing slogans like "heat-not-burn" cannot be a substitute for science.

Ok, I'm not having a pop at what you just said...you got valid points...and for all I know these HnB products may well nbe as bad as cigs, and I agree that big baccy has been deceitful in the past, in the present and will probs continue to be in the future.
BUT
I couldn't help but have a wee laugh to myself coz if you replace the term 'heat not burn' with the phrase 'e-cigarette' the above reads exactly like what the anti-vape brigade come out with all the time. Reference [4] is a W.H.O source...WHO are known vape bashers...I dare say they'll be as blinkered when it comes to HnB too.

Ok, I'm not having a pop at what you just said...you got valid points...and for all I know these HnB products may well nbe as bad as cigs, and I agree that big baccy has been deceitful in the past, in the present and will probs continue to be in the future.
BUT
I couldn't help but have a wee laugh to myself coz if you replace the term 'heat not burn' with the phrase 'e-cigarette' the above reads exactly like what the anti-vape brigade come out with all the time. Reference [4] is a W.H.O source...WHO are known vape bashers...I dare say they'll be as blinkered when it comes to HnB too.

Bash all you like , I didn't say it ...Just a copy paste of current Wiki info in the health section . I did listen to a Phillip Morris employee on Radio 4 and he sounded optomistic and was pushing his product but he was very ambiguous on if they were still harmful or not . Phrases such as " likley to cause less harm " " lower cancer causing chemicals on average " ... it all sounded a bit corporate bullshit ...but there is no independant study yet sooo , jury remains out .

Bash all you like , I didn't say it ...Just a copy paste of current Wiki info in the health section . I did listen to a Phillip Morris employee on Radio 4 and he sounded optomistic and was pushing his product but he was very ambiguous on if they were still harmful or not . Phrases such as " likley to cause less harm " " lower cancer causing chemicals on average " ... it all sounded a bit corporate bullshit ...but there is no independant study yet sooo , jury remains out .

Aww bless yer burnt fingers /hug hehe - I'm not bashing at all. Not my intention whatsoever, I'm just sensing an element of defensiveness against these 'new-fangled' HnB doo-dads, and a lot of that is being phrased in a similar way to the claims we see made against vaping time and time again. Personally I think the HnB thangs look like a pile of shite and I almost certainly won't bother trying one, feels like a desperate attempt by the tobacco industry to ensure that tobacco stays relevant - and it's not just cigarette manufacturers who have this aim. There are countries who are losing a shedload of cash, and workers losing jobs because the decline in demand for tobacco products is messing with agricultural revenue. Whatever, I'll be surprised if the HnB devices turn out to be as bad for ya as ciggies are, and if they end up helping even a small % of smokers to quit then that's a good thing :)

The fekers just won't let go of the leaf eh?

Personally, I'll stick to me fruits and custards etc.

Aww bless yer burnt fingers /hug hehe - I'm not bashing at all. Not my intention whatsoever, I'm just sensing an element of defensiveness against these 'new-fangled' HnB doo-dads, and a lot of that is being phrased in a similar way to the claims we see made against vaping time and time again. Personally I think the HnB thangs look like a pile of shite and I almost certainly won't bother trying one, feels like a desperate attempt by the tobacco industry to ensure that tobacco stays relevant - and it's not just cigarette manufacturers who have this aim. There are countries who are losing a shedload of cash, and workers losing jobs because the decline in demand for tobacco products is messing with agricultural revenue. Whatever, I'll be surprised if the HnB devices turn out to be as bad for ya as ciggies are, and if they end up helping even a small % of smokers to quit then that's a good thing :)

Now thats the thing , i do not think it is designed to help people quit smoking , as you are getting a delivery of the same chemical concotion that is so addictive in a cigarette . You are as far as I can see still smoking in all but name , your just getting the new version of an ultra low tar Ciggy . So it will leave your cravings as high as they have always been... As far as I can see anyway from gathering what info there is . If big tobacco was serious about getting people to quit smoking or even lessen intake or reduce cravings we would already be awash with benson and hedges branded gum , patches etc

Now thats the thing , i do not think it is designed to help people quit smoking , as you are getting a delivery of the same chemical concotion that is so addictive in a cigarette . You are as far as I can see still smoking in all but name , your just getting the new version of an ultra low tar Ciggy . So it will leave your cravings as high as they have always been... As far as I can see anyway from gathering what info there is . If big tobacco was serious about getting people to quit smoking or even lessen intake or reduce cravings we would already be awash with benson and hedges branded gum , patches etc

Agree - It's not designed to help folk quit, it's designed to continue generating revenue from those who want to quit. Somewhere in the original link I'm positive that it mentions that they had this HnB tech ages ago but it flopped first time round. Now they see that more folk are turning to vaping to quit and feel that the time is right to re-release HnB with the advantage of all the advances that they've made in the tech in the meantime, and the fact that using a machine or device to quit smoking is now more commonplace.
I feel that as a smoking cessation device it may well fail on it's ability to help with the continued abstinence aspect of quitting - as soon as folks think they've 'quit' they'll stop buying th doo-dads needed to use the device and the second they get the urge again they'll just go back to ciggies - the experience of HnB is too close to the act of smoking for real to help break the habit fully. I might be completely wrong, it's just that I feel if I found myself unable to vape for amy reason I don't think that I'd go back to the cigs - it would just feel too wierd and disgusting now. For me vaping e-liquid is a world apart from smoking tobacco, but I guess thats why vaping just doesn't work for some people as a cessation method? Too different? For me it's an advantage but that's just me, the habit isn't always about the nicotine alone. Whatever the case is, tobacco companies certainly aren't releasing HnB outta a benevolent desire to help folk quit tobacco :)

Agree - It's not designed to help folk quit, it's designed to continue generating revenue from those who want to quit. Somewhere in the original link I'm positive that it mentions that they had this HnB tech ages ago but it flopped first time round. Now they see that more folk are turning to vaping to quit and feel that the time is right to re-release HnB with the advantage of all the advances that they've made in the tech in the meantime, and the fact that using a machine or device to quit smoking is now more commonplace.
I feel that as a smoking cessation device it may well fail on it's ability to help with the continued abstinence aspect of quitting - as soon as folks think they've 'quit' they'll stop buying th doo-dads needed to use the device and the second they get the urge again they'll just go back to ciggies - the experience of HnB is too close to the act of smoking for real to help break the habit fully. I might be completely wrong, it's just that I feel if I found myself unable to vape for amy reason I don't think that I'd go back to the cigs - it would just feel too wierd and disgusting now. For me vaping e-liquid is a world apart from smoking tobacco, but I guess thats why vaping just doesn't work for some people as a cessation method? Too different? For me it's an advantage but that's just me, the habit isn't always about the nicotine alone. Whatever the case is, tobacco companies certainly aren't releasing HnB outta a benevolent desire to help folk quit tobacco :)

Well there we go , I think between us we have sorted this thread , I dont see any need for anyone elses input but ours ...so the rest of you lot can just shut up and read mine and Yappys comments and feel fully informed ...thank us by clicking the like button .

Well there we go , I think between us we have sorted this thread , I dont see any need for anyone elses input but ours ...so the rest of you lot can just shut up and read mine and Yappys comments and feel fully informed ...thank us by clicking the like button .

Hehe spirited discussion is the beginning to the path to enlightenment...sometimes...lol
Apologies tho' folks - didn't mean to hijack :8:

Hehe spirited discussion is the beginning to the path to enlightenment...sometimes...lol
Apologies tho' folks - didn't mean to hijack :8:

Shhhhh dont say sorry to them... We own this thread ...we show weakness , they will bite our legs off .

Back
Top Bottom