What's new

Global Effects of Smoking, of Quitting, and of Taxing Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KulrMeStoopid

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1308383

On the basis of current smoking patterns, with a global average of about 50% of young men and 10% of young women becoming smokers and relatively few stopping, annual tobacco-attributable deaths will rise from about 5 million in 2010 to more than 10 million a few decades hence,1-3 as the young smokers of today reach middle and old age. This increase is due partly to population growth and partly to the fact that, in some large populations, generations in which few people smoked substantial numbers of cigarettes throughout adult life are being succeeded by generations in which many people did so. There were about 100 million deaths from tobacco in the 20th century, most in developed countries.2,3 If current smoking patterns persist, tobacco will kill about 1 billion people this century, mostly in low- and middle-income countries. About half of these deaths will occur before 70 years of age.

I watched a program last night about the California tb117. It's not something I would normally watch, but it had some info on big tobacco in tnere that made for interesting viewing. Cutting this to a really short synopsis. In the 70s there were lots of people dying in house fires, the majority caused by cigs on couches, chairs, carpets. Big tobacco said it wasn't their fault and shifted the blame to furniture manufacturers. Since then the manufacturers have had to add fire retardent chemicals to all manufactured furniture. It turns out that the chemicals they use cause cancer. Not just when burnt. They are not well bonded to the foam so drift aroind in house dust.
Really long story short, big tobacco shifted the onus of house fires off themse?ves and onto the manufacturers and chemical companies.

Seeing the lies, misdirection and under handed tactics used by the chemical companies (who strangely are just as money hungry as big tobacco) really opens your eyes to how easy it is to get those in power to let their people die for the profits of others.

its worth reading the stuff out there about tb117. All I could think as I watched it was that the chemical industry was needlessly adding cancer causing chemicals to everyday items that included furniture, baby beds, televisions and lord knows what else. But when people do get cancer it's the cigs (and now ecigs) that ate cited by most people as the main cause. You have to wonder about what's true and what's not. Especially when you see that for 40 years California has insisted those chemicals be there. Ironically, shortly before tb117 was created, they banned the same chemicals from kids dressing gowns for the same health reasons.

Start you off on a decent read with this

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-69769906/

one other thing the program brought up, was that there are over 80 thousand untested chemicals in the us. With over a thousand more created every year. Yet somehow, ecigs in the uk are important enough to ban or limit. How many of those same untested US chemicals do we have in use over here?

they want us to die young they cant afford the pensions so they say but they need to think about how much the nhs will save there should be a lot less people dying from cancer and heart and lung diseases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom