What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Cigarettes To Rise By 28p Per Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really think they want people to give up??!!

The probably discussed this at the treasury, along the lines of 'How much can we raise revenue before people will consider giving up!' and aim it just below.
...illustrated by the link I posted above I reckon Andy. They raise tax in every budget but seemingly by less in recent years...why?

When I first started on the stinkies it was 52p for 10 B&H

As the years went on and it went above a fiver for 20 I said right that's it I was stopping - but I never did.

Anyway, glad I'm off them now. :) - Regardless of what you buy vaping wise what you have is a box of things to show for it other than a box of smoke.

It really brings home all the money that we all pissed up the wall really.

i can remember when i was 12 I was geting 10 L&B for £1.39 or 20 for £2.70 bloody prices now are shocking wont be long till their a tenner

It may be nothing new to see a rise in tobacco tax even if this is a big one but it won't be long before the math on vaping is accounted for more accurately & they'll be trying to invent all sorts of ways to get us. In the end though it will boil down to e liquid imo & that's the only area they could sting us. Oh well, more vapers will mix their own in that world maybe.

I noted that it wasn't announced as so many pence but as 2% above inflation. Low inflation has probably accounted for an apparent slow in tax rate increases.

This is the full section on tobacco from today's budget document

Tobacco duties

2.141 Tobacco duty rates – As announced at the March Budget 2010, duty rates on tobacco
products will increase by 2% above RPI. These changes will come into effect from 6pm on
19 March 2014. (Finance Bill 2014)

2.142 Tobacco duty rates beyond 2014-15 – Annual duty increases of 2% above RPI will
continue until the end of the next Parliament to help improve public health. (31)

2.143 Minimum excise tax – The government will consult during summer 2014 on whether a
minimum excise tax for tobacco could help improve public health.

2.144 Tobacco smuggling and revenue protection – The government will consult during
summer 2014 on a range of measures to strengthen its response to tobacco smuggling and
improve anti-forestalling controls, with a view to legislating in 2015. (Finance Bill 2015)

If the proposed consultations use figures and research as inaccurately as those used by the European Parliament for the TPD, then who knows what they'll come up with. Either way it will always benefit the tobacco industry more than consumers and their health.

Think fags have gone up quite a bit more since this thread started in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom