What's new

Can nicotine gum cause mouth cancer?

K

KulrMeStoopid

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2009/04/24/can-nicotine-gum-cause-mouth-cancer/

The researcher themselves say: “We’ve showed the FOXM1 gene is activated by nicotine in human mouth cells which raises the possibility that nicotine could potentially increase the risk of mouth cancer. We want to stress, however, that further research is needed to conclusively determine whether this is indeed the case. There is no doubt however about the harmful effects of smoking, so smokers should make every effort to quit,”

The research team are right to advise caution. While their results are interesting and based on sound science, we have to remember that the study was done in a relatively small number of cell samples that had been grown in the lab.

Experiments like this can raise questions that prompt further research but alone, they can’t be treated as convincing evidence that something causes cancer. Often, laboratory studies have reported that a certain chemical increases or reduces the risk of cancer, only for larger studies in actual people to contradict those results (take the case of vitamin supplements, as an example).

This view was echoed by Professor Robert West, Director of Tobacco Studies at Cancer Research UK’s Health Behaviour Research Centre, who has done a lot of work looking into NRT. He said:

“The interpretation is highly speculative and contradicted by evidence that many millions of people have been using nicotine replacement therapy with no increased risk of oral or any other cancer. If reports like this stop people using what for many would be a life-saving medication it would be very unfortunate.”

hmmm does anyone see a connection between the last line by CRUK... and people who support ecigs and see their benefits.

Really unfortunate.

I'm starting to believe myself when I think that all this fucking negativity regarding nicotine delivery devices might cause cancer in me,that's if anger can create similar effects to...
It also behaves like a growth factor promoting survival of human lung cancer cells
If I did a study on anger,I'm sure I could twist the results to show that it "could" cause cancer/insanity or even to become a fucking politician with the same selective hearing as the present bunch of fuckwits sat in Brussels.

It is necessary to point out that the majority of scientists disagree that nicotine can cause cancers and this is a long term standing, not something dreamt up over night.

What I find annoying is that CRUK is also dismissive of the "study" behind it(the article above), yet they fail to embrace numerous studies around ecigs which show they ARE safer than smoking and more effective than NRT.

nicotine in itself is not considered a major contributing substance to lung cancer whereas tar is seen as a major contributing substance to lung cancer not to mention the formaldehyde and nitrosamines such as nitrosodimethylamine, 4-Methylnitrosamino 1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanol and nitrosoanabasine these are all the evil things in tobacco cigarettes and are 100 to 112 times worse when smoked.

Back
Top Bottom