What's new

Misrepresented mAh Ego Batteries

what do you mean? Just like with mobile phone and laptop batteries...all that stuff is covered under the SAME regulations yet...some faulties get through just like with ecigs?

The only reason you hear about an ecig exploding more often is because its a big "newsworthy" thing....15 years of mobile phone or laptop batteries overheating and catching on fire is...literally "old news"

Sorry All.
My earlier post, didn't quite come out as I meant it to. Now I've read it back.

Funny I should find this thread now as I have just sat here and pulled 2 ego-CE4 batteries apart,both were brought together as a twin pack 900mAh starter kit from a market stall.One refused to power on after a charge so being a pack rat it was thrown in a draw.The other one the threads went on the inside so it wouldn't charge.Deciding to see if I could repair the one with broken threads with the head of the one that wouldn't power on I pulled them both apart..soldering was appalling! Once opened I found a very thin battery with 2 rusting nails taped to it.

IMAG0817.jpg

Yikes, that looks appalling. It is no wonder that eGo's get such a bad rep with stuff like that happening. Get it reported to TS as that is just dire.

At the moment, I think the state of many blister packs forces customers to call into question the quality of them all. This is a shame, as they're not all underpowered (with varying ploys to fill the space left by the smaller battery), but how can we know which to trust, especially when many traders aren't passing on the huge savings they're gaining by buying very cheap sets - so these are similarly priced to the legit packs. If a manufacturer brought out a version that allowed easy opening to prove battery capacity, many customers and decent vendors would be keen to buy them.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

The photo added by bbav, without the nails, is how my first ego looked. More tape, fuse wire.

I can see why ego / ego style kits have a bad rep. Ive a dispute with the place i purchsed my first one / swapped to second one. Calling back in tomorrow and will be getting trading standards involved if need be.

I've noticed something in common with all the bad ones pictured here, they all have "EGO" stamped on them.

I recently bought an eGo style starter kit, it came in a blister pack but has no markings on it & no manufacturer on the packaging whatsoever. It was sold to me as a 1100mAh battery & certainly the case measures up (from this pic it does anyway, note this is not a pic of my kit, just a random pic I found)....

egoc_4.jpg

Anyway, I think it really might be an 1100mAh battery, as I've had it since Monday, charged it up when I got it (it must've been charged as the light went green pretty quick), & I used it until Tuesday evening, when it was still working but I gave it a charge anyway. It's now Thursday evening & it's still going strong. (I'm not a chain vaper, but I do actually use the thing.

I'm not going to take it apart, as it's still working fine, but I think the moral of the story (although perhaps not the best advice) may be, if it's cheap & pretending to be expensive (IE: Has "EGO" written all over it) then you can pretty much guarantee it's not going to be much good (like the old saying, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is). The way I see it, mine isn't pretending to be anything it's not, it's just plain with nothing written on it at all. & the quality doesn't seem too bad either. The only worrying bit is there's no mention of a manufacturer anywhere on the packaging.

When it gives up the ghost I will, of course, be taking it apart. I have a workshop in the garden full of tools, engines & old motorbikes, I LOVE taking stuff apart! :grin2:

Last edited:
The legit ones come with eGo written on too, it depicts a device type and is nowhere close to an indication of quality of manufacture. I would be more wary of a product that does not display any manufacturer details than the word eGo printed on TBH

But the legit ones (with eGo written on them) aren't usually sold at bargain basement prices on market stalls. My point was more about cut price manufacturers dressing up something cheap to make it look like something expensive.

The evidence on this thread speaks for itself really. But at the end of the day, it comes down to the old cliches: "buy cheap, buy twice" & "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is".

I'm quite happy with my 2 "plain clothes" batteries. They last for ages & are still in their early stages (rechargeable batteries take a few cycles to get up to their full capacity).

(I always discharge batteries properly before recharging anyway, despite what people say about modern batteries it is a fact that all rechargeable dry cell batteries have a certain amount of memory, & "topping up" should be kept to a minimum wherever possible).

Strange how both of mine came to me almost fully charged, usually new batteries need charging. :6:

Last edited:
Most new egos will come with a partial charge, mine take about half the time for the first charge then they will for all subsequent charges.

ukbazar - eBay avoid

Sells dangerous vaping gear, and when you point this out to them they deny its there's

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Im really shocked by this thread! See so many people now days buying cheap egos from markets and places and they give vaping such a bad rep (blowing up bats etc) no wonder why! Justifys my spending on mods atleast ;)

Sent from my C6603 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Back
Top Bottom