What's new

ADVISORY: Avoid using the Efest SODA charger at its 1A setting

WaitFor1t88

Veteran
(FROM MOOCH'S FB, ALL CREDIT etc)

I have seen a couple of mentions of overheating and failure with Efest SODA chargers so I decided to check into it.

I measured the external and internal temperatures of two SODA chargers at their 0.5A and 1A settings, charging two batteries at once. They were only about 3°C apart for any temperature reading so I averaged the two readings.

Ambient temperature = 27°C

Temperatures at 1A:
Top external = 71°C
Bottom external = 87°C
Internal = 108°C
Batteries = 53°C

Those charger and battery temperatures are too high!

The bottom was hot enough to be painful to touch and the internal temperature exceeded the 105°C rated max of the capacitors inside (see the photos). Those capacitors are quite temperature sensitive and shouldn't be run at anywhere near their max rating to ensure a long life. That high of a temperature is also bad for every other component in the charger.

In addition, the batteries were being heated up above the 45°C (approximately) point where aging of the batteries starts accelerating. The measured temperature of 53°C is what I would call "very warm".

In my opinion, this charger runs too hot at the 1A setting and could fail prematurely because of that. It will also heat your batteries up enough to possibly shorten their overall life some. I advise running the Efest SODA charger only at its 0.5A setting.

Charger temperatures at 0.5A:
Top external = 49°C
Bottom external = 55°C
Internal = 71°C
Batteries = 38°C

Running it at the 0.5A setting does not guarantee that everything will be OK!

I still recommend always charging on a non-flammable surface and staying nearby until charging is done. Then remove the batteries from the charger and store them in a non-conductive case or sleeve. Do not store your batteries in the charger!

Never put any charger in a LiPo battery charging bag!
Those bags are made to only hold the battery pack. Putting the charger and batteries in the bag traps all the heat from the charger inside and the temperatures can rise high enough to cause failure of the charger and/or accelerated aging of your batteries.

I haven't tested any other chargers.
I don't know when I'll be testing any other chargers or what tests will be done. I don't know the temperatures of any other chargers. This was a pop-up safety-related issue and those will always take priority.

19149202_1913119942310916_7211699255477200959_n.jpg

19030388_1913119945644249_6142906737905085261_n.jpg

19113796_1913119962310914_3852464153908612751_n.jpg

19224794_1913119952310915_9048494413962344205_n.jpg

19030646_1913129472309963_8528511900966874676_n.jpg

Great job for covering that up, i personally just use my mod for charging but i plan to buy liitokala or nitecore soon, it`s pricier but safe and steady

Mine doesn't get anywhere near that hot.

Sorry but this test is total rubbish.

Edit to Clarify: All this test proves is that a single Efest Soda charger is faulty, for whatever reason. I am charging a pair of LG 2600 Mah 18650s @ 1 amp in an Efest Soda and the unit/batteries are barely above body temperature. I could break out my infra red thermometer, but I can't be bothered.

Last edited by a moderator:
After nearly 40mins of charging, my charger and batteries are warm to the touch. Nowhere near the quoted figures.

All this test proves is that a single Efest Soda charger is faulty, for whatever reason.

Mooch tested 2 Soda chargers and there was little difference between the temperatures. He did the tests because reports were coming in of the Soda chargers overheating, and he found the 2 he tested were overheating.

So perhaps what we have here is a faulty batch or production run.

Mooch tested 2 Soda chargers and there was little difference between the temperatures. He did the tests because reports were coming in of the Soda chargers overheating, and he found the 2 he tested were overheating.

So perhaps what we have here is a faulty batch or production run.

Testing two still proves nothing, not really.

Testing two still proves nothing, not really.
Well, it proves that out of the 2 units he tested, after hearing reports that some of these units were overheating, both of them overheated.

And the fact that your unit doesn't overheat proves nothing either.

All we can say is some overheat, some don't.

Well, it proves that out of the 2 units he tested, after hearing reports that some of these units were overheating, both of them overheated.

And the fact that your unit doesn't overheat proves nothing either.

All we can say is some overheat, some don't.

All we can actually say is the two he tested overheated. But as we no nothing about how the test was conducted it is just hearsay.

I'm sorry for the pedantry, but all too often I read posts like this on the internet about all sorts of hardware and it is all just hearsay.

Back
Top Bottom