What's new

YouTube possible clampdown on reviewers

Cool, we're all entitled to opinions @InnaPickle

I'm not a defeatist as you suggest, I'm a realist.

The general public uses YouTube far beyond the majority of other platforms. With over 1.5 BILLION logged in users every month I believe it actually trumps Google for search enquiries (If not it's close).
As you mentioned, it's taken 15 years to get to this stage, therefore, it is not going to get beaten or matched by a new platform in the near future, as such is and will remain the strongest place to house content.

Regarding the content on one platform, that will depend on the style of content and your requirements as a business or creator. If the same video is on multiple platforms then those views will be shared across those platforms rather than accumulate in one area.
You are correct to some degree (in my opinion) and being 'on' multiple platforms is beneficial, however, you use the platforms to their strengths, so Instagram for photo, Twitter for comment, etc as their video content has always sadly lacked and not really picked up the necessary steam to pull people away from YT.

Using these different platforms to allow them to funnel interest to your 'home' is what's necessary. I for instance am on most platforms but only to support the YouTube content, let people know what's happening, what's coming up etc. This will change dependant on what the business needs though, do you want people to go to a website, build an insta following, or something else (like go to your YouTube).

Well done on the degree, I don't have a degree, just 5 years of real world experience growing my channel to the stage it is now, which hadn't been reached before in the UK. I don't for one minute suppose that I know everything in this or am any kind of professional marketer, however, the marketing professionals I know personally share a similar view to me.

Anyway, that's my thoughts, there is no definitive right and wrong other than YouTube can do what it wants, and if it deems it that vape reviewing is no longer allowed, we have no ability to argue. Reviewers will die off, some will maintain their profile on other mediums and we can only hope that one platform rises up and is useful.

What it will certainly mean though is that smokers and new vapers are not going to have access to the same free information that they have now in the normal places they'd look. I think we can all agree if that's the case everyone loses out.

So as a realist you don't think people will continue to create and view this kind of content if YouTube continues down this road? There will be no vape reviews? gun reviews? big fat spliff reviews!?

The Internet is constantly changing.

I'm not suggesting a new platform will come and take over YouTube or anything close to that, although it is quite possible, I'm saying if YouTube continue to clamp down on this type of content then some smart fucker will come along and create an alternative platform to fill the void.

Thanks. 5 years real world experience more than equals a standard 3 year degree course imo, but this isn't a dick measuring contest so I won't get into my professional experience.

All we can do is hope? Thank Christ not everyone thinks like that...

Last edited:
I'm saying if YouTube continue to clamp down on this type of content then some smart fucker will come along and create an alternative platform to fill the void.

I take it you're aware that most of what's going on with YouTube is in direct response to pressure put on, and law suits against, Google (who own YouTube)?

As in, the new rules on "child targeted" content, the demonetisation of videos on regulated products - it's not like Mr. YouTube wakes up in the morning and thinks "who can I fuck over today?" - their hand is pretty much forced.

So Mr Smart-Fucker comes along and creates an alternative platform - they may enjoy a bit of success for a while (as long as they stay under the radar) but it won't take too much to get them having their assholes reamed in court too.

The stuff like this (regulated products, gdpr disparities, coppa, the proposed extensions about kids over here now) - it's all going to change the face of the internet, and not for the better in most cases.

I mean, coppa is going to allow the US dept to go after the content creator instead of the hosting platform, people have been sued for presenting bad advice on forums - it's getting a bit silly.

If you think the internet is a place free from censorship and penalties for the average person, you're in a bit of a fantasy world.

I take it you're aware that most of what's going on with YouTube is in direct response to pressure put on, and law suits against, Google (who own YouTube)?

As in, the new rules on "child targeted" content, the demonetisation of videos on regulated products - it's not like Mr. YouTube wakes up in the morning and thinks "who can I fuck over today?" - their hand is pretty much forced.

So Mr Smart-Fucker comes along and creates an alternative platform - they may enjoy a bit of success for a while (as long as they stay under the radar) but it won't take too much to get them having their assholes reamed in court too.

The stuff like this (regulated products, gdpr disparities, coppa, the proposed extensions about kids over here now) - it's all going to change the face of the internet, and not for the better in most cases.

I mean, coppa is going to allow the US dept to go after the content creator instead of the hosting platform, people have been sued for presenting bad advice on forums - it's getting a bit silly.

If you think the internet is a place free from censorship and penalties for the average person, you're in a bit of a fantasy world.

Can you show me an example of someone getting sued in court for posting vape reviews on YouTube or any other platform?

The part about the content creator being open to prosecution is in relation to coppa - which anyone with any link whatsoever to digital media should know all about.

YouTube is taking a hard approach to any regulated genre of products, so weed, booze, guns, and tobacco.
Like it or not vaping is classed under tobacco laws to a large extent and is therefore regulated.

Links in descriptions to websites selling vape gear have been a no no for quite a while now, and while some channels get away with it, it could be said that it's only a matter of time before the YouTube algorithm catches up - I still have a massive amount of links on older videos (currently), so expect a telling off at some point, unless I get to work and remove them (it's a quick and painless process).

YouTube has the absolute right to impose restrictions and while it sucks, that's what's going to happen.
Generally a way of escaping the crackdown would be to age restrict the channel, however that makes your content impossible to find for someone that isn't signed into an account as they can't be confirmed to be an adult (even though that's rubbish as a kid could use a parent's account). It would also mean your content wouldn't come up in suggested videos etc and make it extremely difficult to grow the channel.

That being said, age restriction is certainly a better solution than having years of work wiped into oblivion when your channel gets deleted without warning.

As for other platforms, it's really not worth even trying them. YouTube dominates the viewing public's world and any other option would be restricted to hardcore hobbyists.
People will shout and say "if nobody uses them they won't become viable options" which in some part is true, but there isn't a vaping council that determines where to post content, so Vimeo, twitch, etc etc may have a viewer base but not all content creators will switch to that medium.

Additionally, putting your content to more than one platform can often decrease your visibility on your main one.

We're in a state of flux with YouTube at the moment, how the Americans deal with vaping in the coming months will have a massive impact on what YouTube does, and sadly, there's not a thing we can do about it.

coming from a you tube reviewer first hand makes alot of sense thanks for posting :2thumbsup:

The part about the content creator being open to prosecution is in relation to coppa - which anyone with any link whatsoever to digital media should know all about.

Nope, never came up once in my 3 year degree course, so you're wrong about that.

Nope, never came up once in my 3 year degree course, so you're wrong about that.

3 years studying digital media and the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act 1998 never came up?

And you've heard nothing of the 2020 revisions?

And the proposed GDPR extensions, I suppose you're not aware of that either (even though it's been reported by the BBC over the last few weeks)?

Hmm, sounds reminiscent of the guy who did a degree course in computer science that I had to show how to plug in a monitor and explain why said monitor didn't need it's own, secondary, network connection...

Either that, or you graduated in 1972.

3 years studying digital media and the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act 1998 never came up?

And you've heard nothing of the 2020 revisions?

And the proposed GDPR extensions, I suppose you're not aware of that either (even though it's been reported by the BBC over the last few weeks)?

Hmm, sounds reminiscent of the guy who did a degree course in computer science that I had to show how to plug in a monitor and explain why said monitor didn't need it's own, secondary, network connection...

Either that, or you graduated in 1972.

I'm telling you 100% it never came up, not once. So again, you are wrong.

I've also recently had my masters research proposal accepted in a related subject as well.

I'm telling you 100% it never came up, not once. So again, you are wrong.

Well, considering I originally said they "should know" about it, not "will know", you haven't actually got any position to say that I'm wrong at all.

Seems a pretty poor curriculum though if it doesn't even touch on the regulations that affect the dissemination of digital media.

Back
Top Bottom