What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Your chance to save POTV, UKV AAEC,ECF, VTTV,RY4 Radio etc?

steffijade

Achiever
Just seen this tweeted by Clive Bates : http://www.cap.org.uk/News-reports/...ltation on the marketing of e-cigarettes.ashx

It's a consultation on the future of e-cig advertising in the UK and if I've read it right, this is open to individual responses.

If that's true, then we can try to participate and influence future policy that might allow 'our' media to be protected from the loss of advertising revenue.

Anyone want to have a looksee?

Having a quick skim though it is a point that niggles me straight away :

11.2 E-cigarettes which are licensed as medicines
Advertisers may obtain a licence for their product from the MHRA. This would permit them
to make smoking cessation claims and marketing for such products would be subject to the
rules in section 12 (Medicines, medical devices, health-related products and beauty
products) of the Code which can be found here.
Question 25: To what extent, if any, do you consider that the above rules for e-cigarettes
should apply to those which are licensed as medicines?

I think it should be suggested that medically licensed products get NO preferential treatment under advertising rules, when they are basically buying the right to make claims that could be equally applicable to non medically licensed products.

Anyone have thoughts on this or any other points in the consultation?

I've downloaded the pdf. I'll have to read it after work. Its liable to make me too angry to enjoy my indoor vaping. ..

Its not too bad to be honest. Just another organisation everyone needs to email and talk to about ecigs.

IE How they currently arent marketed towards children, there has never been any evidence that they have been. Advertisements do not make health claims all ready ect...

Clive Bates just responded and says it's an open consultation.

Nothing about us without us.

Get stuck in and have your say if you feel the need folks.. it's nice to have the opportunity to actually be consulted for a change.

Yes, yes it's all very well being militant, but please be militant at the right people. This is a self regulatory body put together by the advertising industry. They need a few pointers for sensible rules on advertising not a full scale attack for every perceived slight against vaping. They are not political, nor are they part of the government, EU, Big Pharma or Big Tobacco. steffijade - There's no need to "Get stuck in". They aren't enemies just a group of advertising types seeking to find the best route to go for advertising, They want to be able to advertise E-cigs, it's business that's worth millions to them. What they want is help to strike a balance so that people don't drop on them for dodgy adverts. Another point to consider is that WE may want to use these self same advertising types to help us - something that won't happen if people "Get Stuck In" at random because they've seen it on the forum...

Having a quick skim though it is a point that niggles me straight away :

11.2 E-cigarettes which are licensed as medicines
Advertisers may obtain a licence for their product from the MHRA. This would permit them
to make smoking cessation claims and marketing for such products would be subject to the
rules in section 12 (Medicines, medical devices, health-related products and beauty
products) of the Code which can be found here.
Question 25: To what extent, if any, do you consider that the above rules for e-cigarettes
should apply to those which are licensed as medicines?

I think it should be suggested that medically licensed products get NO preferential treatment under advertising rules, when they are basically buying the right to make claims that could be equally applicable to non medically licensed products.

Anyone have thoughts on this or any other points in the consultation?

I should point out that it's being licensed by the MHRA that allows them to make medicinal claims not anything in the advertising code, that said the basic rules should apply to both types, with the possible addition of rules requiring "Mdeical" e-cigs to Prove or Disclaimer their dosage and effectivness stats...

Last edited:
It is good to be consulted,(like we were on TPD?)if the results from consultations are actually used without being "meddled" with and the original document consulted on isn't rewritten afterwards.

Is it just me or is this something we can use to allow Vapers to see 2nd Generation devices, then just wait until Medical brigade arrive and tell everyone this is good to stop you smoking? It would surely help us as well? No?

Back
Top Bottom