What's new

Wirral pensioner kicked off public transport because of his electronic cigarette

K

KulrMeStoopid

Jul 18 2012
by Helen Hunt, Birkenhead News

A PENSIONER went back to smoking after his fake cigarette saw him kicked out of pubs and slung off buses. Bert Wright from Irby managed to kick his 56-year-habit by using an ‘electronic cigarette’, but after being asked to leave public transport and public houses because of the vapour emitted from the gadget, he reached breaking point and bought a packet of cigarettes.

The 69-year-old, who has the serious lung condition emphysema, was due to return to the doctors to get more help giving up.

But the retired plumber and dad -of-one, who lives in Dane Close said: “I thought I could smoke this electronic cigarette anywhere but it’s just not the case. "I've been asked to leave buses and certain establishments and public houses. I believe airlines are stopping people from smoking them – even though you can buy them from the airport!"

"I’ve been off cigarettes for six months but today I smoked. I went out and bought a packet. It’s a waste of time."

Mr Wright was due to visit health workers at Thingwall Health Centre where he has been receiving help and advice. He said:
“I am going to go back to the smoking clinic because I’ve got emphysema. I’ve smoked for 56 years. I just think it’s wrong. The government wants you off cigarettes and there’s no support if you do.”

Mr Wright added that luckily for him his local allows him to use his fake fag but he says all public places should have the same policy.
Claire Banks from Maxwell Hodge solicitors said this issue has been risen before in the United States. She said:
“The growing number of high profile situations like this highlights the confusion around the issue at the moment.

I wouldn’t expect that the intention of the smoking ban was to encompass substitute smoking aids such as the e-cigarette; however the drafting of the Health Act 2006, which brought in the ban, is sufficiently wide to be a ‘catch all’ should that be necessary.

“Only time will tell as to whether the Environmental Health has the appetite to get involved in this type of argument.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but the guy seems to be a bit of an arse - just because it's legal do do something it doesn't necessarily follow that it is acceptable to do it in all situations! Plus, as has been said elsewhere, when he reached breaking point and bought a packet of cigs was he allowed to smoke them on the bus and in the pub? no, probably not eh ;)

Very true.

When I was without a car, I emailed Arriva to ask permission and was told no, so I never bothered to vape on the bus.

Otherwise I vape where ever I am without an issue. When in doubt, I feel asking normally gets me a yes.

Those fake cigarettes always cause problems, he should have got an ecig :strawberry:

I just vape, wherever I am, if I'm told not , I stop. When you use something that looks nothing like a cig, I've found that most peeps say, "oh that must be one of those electric ones" & I get left alone, but I've seen it happen where peeps see me & say nothing, but pull peeps who are using cig a likes
frank

Back
Top Bottom