What's new

Will Taxes And Regulation Rein In The Booming E-Cigarette Market?

K

KulrMeStoopid

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf...ation-rein-in-the-booming-e-cigarette-market/

Lorillard LO +0.51%’s announcement it will pay as much as $100 million for a top British e-cigarette manufacturer demonstrates the rapid evolution of what started out as a niche business. On top of Lorillard’s $135 million purchase of blu eCigs in April 2012 and the entrance of high-profile entrepreneurs like Sean Parker and Peter Theil – they invested $15 million into NJOY earlier this year – Lorillard’s investment signals the e-cig business has arrived.

“There’s an expectation there will be some level of taxation”

There is little or no justification for extra taxation, other than vaping looks like smoking. The justification for taxing smoking is the harm that it can do, but there is no proof that vaping causes harm in the same way that smoking does.

I have seen a few attempts to link nicotine use to heart problems and insulin resistance, but those link seem to be tenuous at best.

The only reason that taxation is 'expected' is that vaping is seen as an easy target by the anti smoking lobby and governments desperately looking for ways to plug the holes in their income streams caused by smokers switching to vaping.

“There’s an expectation there will be some level of taxation”

There is little or no justification for extra taxation, other than vaping looks like smoking. The justification for taxing smoking is the harm that it can do, but there is no proof that vaping causes harm in the same way that smoking does.

I have seen a few attempts to link nicotine use to heart problems and insulin resistance, but those link seem to be tenuous at best.

The only reason that taxation is 'expected' is that vaping is seen as an easy target by the anti smoking lobby and governments desperately looking for ways to plug the holes in their income streams caused by smokers switching to vaping.

I agree. The only reason the government wants in on the act is to raise revenues that they are loosing from us ex smokers taking up e Cigs. The 90% tax they are loosing from cigarette sales will really hit them in the pocket, so they will levy an appropriate tax to try and claim that back.

The only trouble is that it will then go underground and everyone will either make their own juice or buy cheap inferior mixes from some shady person down the pub who used to sell knock off packets of fags!

If they have any sense (i know the words Politician & sense don't usually go hand in hand) the government will regulate & promote it as a safe and cheap way of giving up smoking. Therefor ensuring that we get a cheap and safer alternative to smoking that will eventually save the health service millions.

Out of interest, whats the longest shelflife eliquid available? Or how long does the ingredients to mix your own last if sealed? Can see a huge rush in late 2015 at this rate lol

I suppose that it would last a lot longer if you stored it in the deep freeze (suitably packaged of course).

Back
Top Bottom