What's new

What the actual f**k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? We go here regularly (it's local and great fun) and have never found the term offensive.

(sigh)

It's not the term, it's the manner in which it's framed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Danny meant it quite as spikily as it could be read, to be fair.

Swap out the word transgender in the sentence (can't remember it exactly, so I'm paraphrasing)
"blah blah thought they're talking to a busty lady, actually found out it's a hairy arsed bloke"

Not quite so bad, is it?

I don't think Danny meant it quite as spikily as it could be read, to be fair.

Swap out the word transgender in the sentence (can't remember it exactly, so I'm paraphrasing)
"blah blah thought they're talking to a busty lady, actually found out it's a hairy arsed bloke"

Not quite so bad, is it?

A person is transgendered, or a transgendered person.. not a transgender.

The use of 'a' depersonalises and turns the person into an object. It can be hard enough trying to gain acceptance in society without being reduced to a mere object.. if you follow my drift.

I might be over sensitive to this type of thing, but if you'd been on the receiving end of some of the crap I have, you might well be a bit over sensitive too.

The use of 'a' depersonalises and turns the person into an object. It can be hard enough trying to gain acceptance in society without being reduced to a mere object.. if you follow my drift.

I might be over sensitive to this type of thing, but if you'd been on the receiving end of some of the crap I have, you might well be a bit over sensitive too.

I completely get where you're coming from. I know Danny didn't mean anything offensive, it was just the use of English in this case :)

I think there's a lot of people here getting their knickers in a twist about nothing...I don't personally know a lot of the people I have as friends on facebok or twitter or even for that matter on here, I don't know their sexual orientation, and to be honest don't really care one way or another.....If they can post, chat, make me laugh or even think about serious things then thats fine with me...I take people as I find them, good and bad together....

Each to their own.............

So, by your standards, this is wrong?

Never in my 40+ years of being a trannie have I experienced such a great time amongst such lovely people - See more at: ::P

So, by your standards, this is wrong?

Never in my 40+ years of being a trannie have I experienced such a great time amongst such lovely people - See more at: ::P

Yes it is.

Obviously, you think I'm somehow deluded so let me erm... expand on my reasoning a little.

Several million people were murdered by the fascist regime in Germany in the 1930s/1940s.

Today we see isis extremists beheading people.

This seems terrible to most. After all, the person doing the murdering and the person getting murdered are both flesh and blood, both human, ostensibly, the same. Most people would baulk and be revulsed at the idea of cold blooded murder and rightly so.

How did these murders overcome that revulsion?

Simple. They distanced themselves from the people they murdered. They dehumanised them and turned them into characatures in their perception.

Once you perceive a person to be' different' or 'other', a mere object, it's a lot easier to push aside revulsion and practice bigotry, prejudice and even murder.

Referring to a transgendered person as 'a transgender' or 'a tranny' is depersonalising and distancing... attaching a sense of separation and otherness. These things are often done subconsciously as a defence mechanism against something that is not understood or sometimes, feared.

If you think that's a bit OTT, then check out this link:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120717001741/http://www.rememberingourdead.org/day/who.html

People like me get assaulted and murdered for no other reason than being different, other.. objectified.

It might seem like a giggle at first glance, but this sort of shit is literally, deadly serious.

Oh... and just to say. There are many different shades in the 'trans rainbow'. "Trannie" is a generic terminology and can refer to many people on that spectrum. The person whose review you quoted might not be living 'full time' and able to 'stealth' when they feel like it.

A transgendered person who lives 'full time' doesn't have this option and is at risk of prejudice, abuse (both physical and verbal) and in the worst cases, murder on a constant basis. Whilst the person you quoted may have had a whale of a time at the venue you linked, would they have happily labelled themselves the same way in an upfront fashion whilst walking towards a gang of drunken young men?

It's easy to toss throwaway, cliched phrases when you don't have to face the consequences on a daily basis.

I hope this helps to explain where I'm coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom