What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Vaping Injuries "Like being shot in the face"

Guardian online today:

The number of smokers injured by exploding electronic cigarettes has prompted warnings of dangers to users, with one burns surgeon revealing reports of injuries so serious that they were comparable to that of someone being “shot in the face with a gun”.

The warnings are being supported by fire chiefs and trading standards officials, who say that consumers tempted to buy cheap or imported “vaping” kits could end up being badly hurt.

Surgeons at Morriston Hospital’s Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery in Swansea said they had treated five patients for burns after the batteries inside e-cigarette exploded. “Before this year, we hadn’t seen any injuries like this. Now we have had five, which reflects the rising popularity of these e-cigarettes,” said hospital consultant plastic surgeon Dai Nguyen.

Three of the patients treated at the hospital had their e-cigarette devices in their trouser pockets when they exploded. They include a 25-year-old who was paintballing at the time and a factory worker who suffered thigh and groin injuries, as well as burns to his hand, when he tried to extinguish the flames.

The patients Nguyen has seen only suffered superficial burns and have made a good recovery, but she said: “I am aware of other cases which have required surgery and skin grafts. “There have also been reports of e-cigarettes exploding in people’s mouths, which resulted in catastrophic injuries similar to those you would experience if you were shot in the face with a gun.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society...electronic-cigarettes-like-being-shot-in-face
ahhh

the guardian - the source of all things unbiased and truthful - second only to the mail

fucking rag

This was caused by the device getting damaged in the pocket and being next to a set of keys. Needless to say, it was not an accident, just human error. .

The technical term if this has been known to car mechanics for years ! :) B.I.F.

'Biomechanical Interface Failure' or, the nut holding the device ! LOL

Well think it goes to show what happens when you try to save a couple of quid rather than prioritising safety
I like many on this site have tones of ecigs and spare batteries ect but never had one that caused injury think it goes to show that you buy the decent quality stuff and use common sense then you will be fine but the people stupid enough to buy this crap are clearly are not responsible enough to use one safely

The scariest thing is that someone is getting paid to write this shit. Should be lynched.

Yeah but they have to write this crap otherwise the anti vaping activists won't have anything to complain about and will get all upset

rounddddddddd 2....

A second replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 device, deemed safe by the company, has caught fire in the US, US media report.

BBC news are reporting

I just made this mistake of starting to read the comments beneath the article. Lots of very small minded people... reminded to avoid these trashy "news" sites.

Well, I did read there are two things that hold a vast amount of energy, and release this energy- one being a battery, the other a bomb. Depending if you have common sense or not, your batteries could fall into the second category.

I wouldn't go paint balling with a mod in my pocket-and I am considered brain damaged. I really do not know how some people are so dumb sometimes.

I see imports are being blamed- a large part of my collection are imports, but are available in the UK too at a higher price.

How many fires and deaths are caused by Cigarettes weekly? Then compare this to vaping, and the amount of people vaping, and I guarantee even with people carrying loose batteries, and the odd charging problem, the odds are a lot lower of a fire vaping vs smoking.

Back
Top Bottom