What's new

Vaping affects DNA (in mice)

laksakite

Postman
A few papers carrying the story today referring to research that claims vaping causes damage to DNA and hinders DNA repair.

The research was done on mice and the conclusions are extrapolated to claim a cause for concern. Will wait for Dr Farsalinos (http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php) to reply and see if he can summarise in easier to understand language.

Won't link to articles, but links to research journal and pdf below.

Bit of a long read.

Journal
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/01/25/1718185115

PDF
http://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/early/2018/01/25/1718185115.full.pdf

FOR NEW VAPERS - This is a common occurrence for research like this to crop up from time to time. They can be funded by Big Tobacco and/or Big Pharma sometimes to further their agenda. Usually there are faults in the methods used as they do not simulate real life conditions. JUST REMEMBER, that quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your health with whatever means possible. Vaping is currently the most popular successful method. Vaping is not safe BUT IT IS AT LEAST 95% safer than traditional cigarettes.

Well written.
Now who has the time to forward this reply to all the papers and TV stations that ran that story yesterday as it is just that, a story, actually a fairy story.
But as always these stories are now plastered everywhere on the net and will stay there for generations to see and believe just like the popcorn lung story that is brought up weekly even after 2 years of it being proved to be absolute bollocks.

Well written.
Now who has the time to forward this reply to all the papers and TV stations that ran that story yesterday as it is just that, a story, actually a fairy story.
But as always these stories are now plastered everywhere on the net and will stay there for generations to see and believe just like the popcorn lung story that is brought up weekly even after 2 years of it being proved to be absolute bollocks.

I would imagine the IBVTA would do that as a matter of course, such organisations usually have pretty well curated mailing lists for such press releases, and / or a PR agency that handles distribution. Plus it’ll be sent to the wire services which papers subscribe to.

At least part of the responsibility for the sensationalist headlines needs to be laid squarely at the door of internet advertising. The traditional press are really struggling for revenue, and these days the only way to get it is more ads and more eyeballs per page. ‘More ads’ has natural limitations, but the quest for more eyeballs always seems to end in salacious click bait headlines, helped along by increasingly dubious journalistic ethics and almost non existent regulation. Depressing really.

The only way vaping affects my DNA is when i alter the settings or which of my DNA devices i am using, i guess vaping can alter my Yihi's, my Voopoo drag, pico, and other mods as well

Back
Top Bottom