What's new

Vapers Can Be Mr Robot (Apparently)

Vape Superstore

Premium Vendor
So this popped up on my PC today, which I find absolutely hilarious, and is also another perfect example of scare-mongering in the media. When will it end...
https://www.informationsecuritybuzz.com/expert-comments/e-cigarettes-can-used-hack-computers/
tk3ynacf-1200x1200.jpg

Why mention vaping in this article at all, as this obviously applies to any device that can be plugged into a USB port. Hilarious if it wasn't so obviously, another attempt to attack the vaping community and associated industries.

Why mention vaping in this article at all, as this obviously applies to any device that can be plugged into a USB port. Hilarious if it wasn't so obviously, another attempt to attack the vaping community and associated industries.

Its hilarious really. Makes you wonder if this article was written as a joke or if we are meant to take it seriously.

It is possible. I have two mods here that have some kind of storage capacity. So in theory they could be used to side load malicious software on to a host computer. However, that is still a shit piece of click bait journalism.

It is possible. I have two mods here that have some kind of storage capacity. So in theory they could be used to side load malicious software on to a host computer. However, that is still a shit piece of click bait journalism.

To my understanding, if a mod has the ability to have its firmware upgraded, it means then that in theory, that device should have some sort of storage. My guess is because of the size of the mod, more than likely the type of storage would be M.2 or even smaller (if that even exists). But do we really live in times where hackers are willing to use vaping devices to accomplish their devious schemes? I would have a thought using something like a phone would do the job quicker and better.

I would have a thought using something like a phone would do the job quicker and better.

Quicker and better most likely. But if you are using a phone you have to avoid detection by both whatever security systems are present on the phone and on the computer. On a mod it is just going to be dumb storage so you would only have to slip past the security of the PC. Or judging by the constant string of exploits get Windows Defender to scan the storage and away you go :D

Plausible but probable?

We're supposed to be believe that state sponsored hacking is happening more and more, with certain countries being mentioned repeatedly. Unfortunately one of those countries is the one which make most of our (regulated) mods. Would I charge a mod from a PC? - no, would I actively discourage anybody else from doing so? - probably not.

People may say I'm paranoid, and maybe they're right, but something like that does me no harm, I'm always near a 13A socket and have a USB power adaptor in my laptop bag, at home, I can't move for USB ports!

I'm at my computer most of the day so I normally charge via a PC USB port (such as right now). But then again none of the stuff I have has fancy customisable storage or anything like that so I will probably be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom