What's new

TV producer is killed by exploding e-cigarette: Smok-E Mountain vape pen bursts into flames

Juice Shop

Postman
TV producer is killed by exploding e-cigarette

An autopsy has confirmed that a man died after his e-cigarette exploded, penetrated his brain and left him with burns to 80 per cent of his body.

Tallmadge Wakeman D'Elia, a TV producer, was killed in a fire in his St Petersburg, Florida bedroom on May 5.

According to FEMA, the 38-year-old's death is the first in the USA to be caused by a vaping pen.

4C50BDB700000578-5735287-image-a-13_1526471751020.jpg

Tallmadge Wakeman D'Elia (pictured smoking an e-cigarette), a TV producer, was killed in a fire in his St Petersburg, Florida bedroom on May 5

Tallmadge Wakeman D'Elia was killed by smoking extreme e-cigarette that makes a huge vapor cloud and has no safety features

The Smok-E Mountain Mech Works vaping device, which is made in The Philippines, is an unregulated mechanical e-cigarette.

One store selling vaping devices says the e-cigarettes come with 'no safety features and no regulation'.

Unregulated devices usually come without built-in technology to automatically shut down when overheated.

Vapor Source adds: 'Mechanical mods are specifically made for users who desire that massive vapor cloud.

'Smok-E Mountain presents to you sharp, durable, and enigmatic products that blur the line between electronic cigarette and art.

'In result the user is provided with an excessive, smooth, and raw vape. Lose yourself in the billowing, sweet mist.'

4C50C3AA00000578-5735287-The_brand_of_vaping_pen_was_recorded_as_Smok_E_Mountain_Mech_Wor-a-42_1526473553872.jpg

The brand of vaping pen was recorded as Smok-E Mountain Mech Works, which produces unregulated e-cigarettes described as not coming with 'safety features'. Pictured: A Smok-E Mountain vaping device

The website clearly states: '**NOT RECOMMENDED FOR BEGINNERS**,' adding that the devices are for advanced users only.

The owner of Lizard Juice, an e-cigarette retailer in Florida, said he does not think such vaping pens are 'safe enough'.

Gary Wilder told ABC he refuses to sell the devices, fearing they will overheat.

He explained: 'Any other e-cig that has a computer chip in it prevents that from happening.'

Wilder also said rubber casings should be used over additional batteries and batteries that appear worn should be rewrapped.

'If that seal is broken on the top, the negative is exposed and if you put that in your pocket, it can do the same thing in your pocket,' he added.

ABC Action News, examiners explained that the e-cigarette made a 'projectile wound' in D'Elia's skull, becoming lodged in his brain.

The brand of vaping pen was recorded as Smok-E Mountain Mech Works, which produces unregulated e-cigarettes described as not coming with 'safety features'.

It is not known why the device blew up.

Smok-E Mountain, however, told ABC its e-cigarettes do not explode, suggesting instead that the device's battery or atomizer was likely to blame.

D'Elia's death has been explained as 'accidental', with 13WMAZ reporting that he suffered 80 per cent burns.

He worked for CNBC as a producer before moving to Florida and going freelance.

His neighbor, Dale Kleine, said she was the one who identified D'Elia's burned body.

4C50BB9000000578-5735287-D_Elia_worked_for_CNBC_as_a_producer_before_moving_to_Florida_an-a-26_1526471954240.jpg

D'Elia (pictured) worked for CNBC as a producer before moving to Florida and going freelance

4C51BA2400000578-5735287-image-a-43_1526480312265.jpg

Pictured: A woman reviews the Smok-E Mountain device for a YouTube video, showing the kind of vape cloud it can be used to produce

She told Fox6: 'I saw the smoke coming out of the roof and we were hoping that nobody was home but then we found out that Wake was home.'

Deputy fire marshal Steven Lawrence, who attended the scene, said vape pens can 'become pieces of flying debris and shrapnel'.

He added: 'It's like having a small ... firecracker in your hand.

'It can explode and at that point it can project either the pieces of the lighter itself or the vape pen.'

FEMA recently reported that there were almost 200 incidents involving exploding vape pens between 2000 and 2016, but D'Elia is the first person in the US to die as a consequence.

Sadly inevitable as with all tools with high powered cells mixed with ignorance or complacency.
Terrible news indeed all round.
Tis that.

Doesn't seem to matter how many warnings are given out or how much advice is issued by everybody from forum members to fire departments, some people just won't be told.

What surprised me is how little reference has been made to the incident since May by those who like to trump up lies about vaping. It was an open goal for them, but they remained strangely silent.

There is a case to be made for banning the sale of mechs, imo. There are just too many easily made mistakes that can lead to a dangerous situation, and too many stupid people lining up to make them. As much as I appreciate that there are a lot of people who enjoy mechs, the hazards associated with them will always be present and we don't need these kind of headlines. Safety regulations have been legislated for in almost every area of life, so I personally wouldn't argue with mechs taking a legislative hit for the team.

Last edited:
Vape explosions are user error, always will be.

Very rare for anything to really go wrong. I have never had an issue in 4 years and i wouldn't say i am the most overly careful.

I remember one mech tube exploding in someone's pocket after nearly blowing up next to their kids face. He was roller skating at the time.......

Sadly inevitable as with all tools with high powered cells mixed with ignorance or complacency.
Terrible news indeed all round.
I should add due to google search and I mean it sincerely that I offer condolences to his friends and family.

Back
Top Bottom