POTV - Your vaping community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Why not sign up today!

Register

Toxic metals found in vapour

Discussion in 'In The News' started by Lord Grim, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Lord Grim

Lord Grim Achiever

A study has apparently found dangerous levels of toxic metals, such as zinc in e-cig vapour.I haven’t finished reading through this yet myself, but thought it’s worth putting up for thoughts and opinions:
    https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/ehp2175/#c1

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank Thank x 1
  2. vapemac

vapemac Veteran

That's a wee bit too complicated for me to understand. If anyone would like to read it and post up a simpler summary it would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HAZZA1962

HAZZA1962 Legend

It's American, Therefore it has no substance and is complete Bollocks in my Humble opinion !!!

• Like Like x 8
  4. StrawberryRipple

Ive only managed to decipher a few things from this.
    1) It is a study on metals found in vapour and tests were done on the juice in the bottle, juice in the tank, and the vapour produced.

2) Strangely it shows that there are more trace metals present in the liquid in the tank, than the vapour produced, with metal traces in the bottle reading the lowest.

3) Even stranger is the presence of trace metals in the bottle in the first place and if the levels in all samples were the same i would assume they were naturally occuring trace elements but the amounts of trace elements varied from liquid sample to liquid sample.
    I could summarise but am probably assuming in the absence of any other plausible explanation that this could be due to the differing vessels used from liquid to liquid during the manufactoring process.

4) Further puzzlement comes from the results showing that vapour has lower levels of trace metals than the juice in the tank which suggests it cant be the coils contributing to their presence and in fact the vapourising process removes/reduces trace metal levels.

5) I found very little information to clarify what devises were used although it was stated the equipment was provided by 56 every day vapers who agreed to participate in the study and brought their own vape gear.

#4 StrawberryRipple, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thank Thank x 1
  5. jsixtysix

jsixtysix Achiever

The health effects for inhalation of Fe, Mn, Cu, and Zn have been detected mostly in occupational settings during both acute and chronic exposures at relatively high levels. These effects might not translate into chronic e-cigarette exposure.

Looks like popcorn lung tastes, but I'm biased. If it's potentially [they use the word potential 12 times btw] negative for vaping I tend to enthusiastically disbelieve it.

6. Simon G

Simon G Legend

• Like Like x 1
  7. jsixtysix

jsixtysix Achiever

Don't swallow more than 16 of them at once. /bit of quick research there

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. Ment

Ment Legend

"type of coil (self-reported by the participants and categorized as Kanthal, other/combination, or unknown)"

While I don't have the expertise to comment on the validity of the results, it defies belief that a serious study would undertake experiments on "unknown" materials.

No doubt Farsalino will be on to it, let's wait to see what he has to say.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Lord Grim

Lord Grim Achiever

• Thank Thank x 1
  10. Mr Numpty

Mr Numpty Veteran

• LOL LOL x 2