What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

This morning on itv ecigs give you cancer

I guess what started this off in my head was that I saw vaping as a means to stop smoking as people say it's the best NRT, which I agree with. But you're supposed to stop NRT at some stage and that mindset doesn't transfer with vaping. So can you really say vaping is a good NRT or just an alternative to smoking and you haven't technically quit?

Vaping is an excellent NRT: it replaces the nicotine we'd otherwise be getting from cigarettes. If I am vaping with nicotine juice and not smoking, I've quit tobacco but not nic - quitting tobacco and quitting nicotine are different things.

I'm sure there are people who've reduced the dose of nicotine gradually and stopped vaping completely. POTV is not really somewhere you would hang out if you had though, we are not imo representative of the majority of ecig users on this site.

Well I have most definitely why smoking. And taken up vaping.

Like I say, you have to think in relative terms. We all do countless things that are harmful. Living is harmful. If vaping is potentially no more harmful than breathing, then I’m quite happy with the potential harm. Even if it’s a bit more harmful than breathing, I’m still happy about it. Fags are deathly. I feel much healthier since I took up vaping, so for me that is good enough. This is what it’s really about, see, whether the individual person is happy and thinks their current lot is good enough.

If we worry about the harm of vaping, then really we shouldn’t drink, shouldn’t fry food, or grill it, or eat toast that’s slightly burnt, or breath city air or drive.

You have to draw a line, otherwise there can be a tendency to end up like the temperance society. Less than a hundred years ago there were tens of thousands marching on the streets of my city demanding an alcohol ban. That’s a bit extreme for me, I’m afraid.

Some people smoke, and don’t intend to quit. That’s fine and it’s their choice, after all, so given that I like nicotine and have decided for myself that the potential risk is acceptable, and would undoubtedly still be smoking myself if I hadn’t taken up the ecigs so I have no concern whatsoever about vaping. It doesn’t worry me in the slightest.

I very much agree, you got to draw the line somewhere unless you want to be some kind of "live in the mountains, live off the land" freegan hermit. I don't believe anything should be banned as long as you can do it without harming other people. Should be your choice what you want to put into your body.

Something that also made me think about this more was how it took me by surprise. When I started vaping, the aim was to quit, not replace smoking with something else. Couple years on, I'm fine with still vaping and don't intend to stop anytime soon. I also accept that it's less harmful even though there's no hard evidence that specifies by how much less harmful.

Vaping is an excellent NRT: it replaces the nicotine we'd otherwise be getting from cigarettes. If I am vaping with nicotine juice and not smoking, I've quit tobacco but not nic - quitting tobacco and quitting nicotine are different things.

I'm sure there are people who've reduced the dose of nicotine gradually and stopped vaping completely. POTV is not really somewhere you would hang out if you had though, we are not imo representative of the majority of ecig users on this site.

I'd say quitting smoking includes both tobacco and nicotine. No-one says they're quitting tobacco but keeping the nic, although it might become a thing now that vaping is taking off.

Everyone that I know who enjoys vaping have no intention of quitting, but I think you've got a point. The ones who do use vaping to quit and succeed won't be buying fancy mods or joining forums. Guess that's where the willpower bit comes in again.

Last edited:
I'd say quitting smoking includes both tobacco and nicotine. No-one says they're quitting tobacco but keeping the nic, although it might become a thing now that vaping is taking off.

Everyone that I know who enjoys vaping have no intention of quitting, but I think you've got a point. The ones who do use vaping to quit and succeed won't be buying fancy mods or joining forums. Guess that's where the willpower bit comes in again.

I disagree with this part of your post in reply to @Leni , I have definitely quit smoking, whether I vape or not. I’m pretty sure at this point that if I couldn’t vape for some reason, that I wouldn’t start smoking again. I find it disgusting now.

If you're watching 'This Morning' it's already too late. Be careful out there.

Question out of curiosity: when someone asks " do you smoke?" How do you answer:
A) No.
B) No, but I vape
C) depends on context of the question

Most of the time I simply say No. I don't equate the two. My dentist asked me because vape has stained my teeth slightly, so I told him.

IDGAF that I have no plans to quit vaping. I also am one of those weirdos who wasn't smoking when I started vaping, I had quit 5 years before. But I had a pretty intense Shisha addiction going on, and I was teetering towards smoking again, stealing odd sly drags on friend's ciggies.

I started vaping to avoid restarting smoking (And ditched my Shisha habit) and it worked for me, I probably would have gone back to smoking were it not for vaping and now I have zero interest in cigarettes.

I would really like the HONEST truth regarding vaping and any side effects, if there are any. If there is an elevated risk of developing something nasty, I'd like to know what it is and how serious we are talking. But if we're talking "as bad for you as a cup of coffee" I won't stop. In fact, I'll probably only stop if they find that, like cigarettes, vaping is a one way ticket to Deathsville.

I'm an adult, I live in a polluted city. I drink too much, spend too much time staring at screens and not moving enough. I eat bacon, gluten, my vegetables aren't organic, hell I don't even eat free range eggs. Breast cancer seems to run through my mum's side of the family, and intestinal cancer seems to run down my dad's, so even my genes are out to get me.

If vaping wants to give me cancer, it's got a long list of other, more "dangerous" threats to my health to fight off first! I'd say my priorities for self-improvement opportunities put vaping way way down the list.

Oh, and I am not mouse-sized, vaping 10mg for a solid 3 hours every day.

I 100% consider myself an ex-smoker, that's not even a conversation for me.

Yep, vaping has enabled me to say with all honesty, I am no longer a smoker. I have no interest in cigarettes, although I'm in no hurry to become one of those holier than thou ex-smokers who complains about the smell etc.

That said, I am a weirdo when it comes to vaping too. I have no intention of vaping for evermore. Not because I'm worried about side effects but because I started vaping to help me quit an addiction. I don't want vaping itself to become an addiction. Due to the fact I have what people refer to as 'an addictive personality', I can easier see how this would happen.

I wonder how many people who live in a city get to breathe 'filtered air '? Waiting on Mawsley for some sensible insight into this.

FWIW @CarbonBoy I don’t think that makes you a weirdo. I know I'm not addicted to vaping nor to nicotine, I don't freak out if I forget my vape when I'm out, I don't get that wave of anxiety when it's been too long since I vaped last, I just replaced an addiction with a passion, so until that changes I'm ok vaping. But that doesn't mean you're the weirdo here lol!

Back
Top Bottom