What's new

(This is it) TPD Regulations 2016

Got this crap back from Theresa May

Dear Mr Riley,

Thank you for your email to Theresa May regarding e-cigarettes. I am sure she will appreciate your concerns.

We have been in touch with the Department of Health about this. The Government recognises that e-cigarettes help some smokers to quit and the evidence indicates that they are considerably less harmful to health than cigarettes.

The rules set out in the revised Tobacco Products Directive (TPD), published in April 2014, apply in the UK from 20th May 2016 and cover tobacco and smokeless tobacco products, herbal products and will, for the first time, regulate e-cigarettes. The Government has consulted on how to implement this.

Although e-cigarettes are helpful to some people wishing to quit smoking, the quality of products on the market remains highly variable. It is therefore important that proportionate regulation is introduced to ensure minimum safety requirements and that information is provided to consumers so that they can make informed choices. This is the aim of the regulatory framework set out in the TPD.

In implementing the new EU rules, the Government intends to work towards regulation that will permit a range of products to remain on the market which are positioned as alternatives to smoking, not as products that introduce children to vaping or smoking. E-cigarettes that are licenced by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency will still be able to be advertised, and the advertising of all other e-cigarettes will no longer permitted on television.

I hope this reassures you that the new rules in the revised TPD do not aim to prevent people from using e-cigarettes, but rather to provide consumers with safer, less variable products.

Thank you again for writing.

Best wishes,

David Beckingham

Office of The Rt Hon Theresa May MP
That is word for word the exact same letter I got from my MP!!!! They just use the same letter to answer any questions about the TPD.

That is word for word the exact same letter I got from my MP!!!! They just use the same letter to answer any questions about the TPD.
They must think we're like them an don't talk to each other. Fools.

I have replied asking some specific questions and expressing my irritation that I have been sent a boiler-plate response.

Shouldn't the TPD have kicked in by now?
I'm seeing new products being launched, new liquids being sold etc. Aren't we in the sell-through old stock phase?

Or are all the vendors simply ignoring it and waiting for someone to be prosecuted?

Shouldn't the TPD have kicked in by now?
I'm seeing new products being launched, new liquids being sold etc. Aren't we in the sell-through old stock phase?

Or are all the vendors simply ignoring it and waiting for someone to be prosecuted?

The way I understand it, there is a grace period until November, after which is the 'only old products' sell phase, and then TPD regs kick in fully in May next year. I hope I'm getting it right?

It's all a mess which is why they needed to tear it up and start over but thanks to Lib/Lab twits that's now unlikely to happen.

This "grace period" is going to be used by everyone to figure out ways of bypassing these soppy regs.

This "grace period" is going to be used by everyone to figure out ways of bypassing these soppy regs.
It really makes me wonder. Do they not realise this? Surely they must, I mean plenty of people actually mentioned the inevitable black market etc that will be created out of this. So do they just not care? Then on the other hand that wouldn't surprise me too much...

Back
Top Bottom