What's new

The rise of vaping

It makes me laugh that every time there is a warning behind them that it's always they contact nicotine which is addictive. Yeah well no shit. Alcohol is also addictive and I don't see them trying to ban that. Caffeine is addictive but we still have loads of coffee shops.

If smoking or vaping did not exist or was ceased to be completely. We'd all be addicted to something else.

I think it's more that some people have the inherent psychological coding/ make-up that makes them
susceptible to substance or other addictions.

So, that being the case, you'd have to instead improve certain factors within both families, and society as a whole.

Addiction is a very complicated and misunderstood thing. It’s also frequently used as a shock propaganda tactic.

Well, IF, and that's a big IF a massive pharmaceutical company did come into the game, there would certainly be a big backer in the vape corner. Now, I'm not saying at this stage that's a good or bad thing but it would certainly be a better thing than lots of fractured groups fighting an endless fight against Big Tobacco at every turn. Make no mistake, Big Tobacco will try everything in the book to stop people from moving to vaping.

Both tobacco and pharmaceutical companies have already made inroads into the vape markets.

The idea of a free market in the believe it will self regulate via competition keeping it honest is long dead. Buyer beware is not really how things work anymore more generally.

It doesn't matter what you look at these days, regulation tends to impact in one way or another. excessive greed and the idea that people need to be protected from themselves took care of that. Once upon a time you used to have a different charging connector for every mobile etc. Not any more they all use USB. That's not an accident, regulations play a big part in that.

Looking at regulation through the narrow lens of vaping won't get us anywhere. Its a much wider issue. People need to be looking at the big picture. I think we need to consider whether we want to live in a society that looks to protect people and try to reduce their exposure to risk, or do we want to live in a society where people get to make their own choices, assess risk themselves, and live with the consequences of their actions.

or do we want to live in a society where people get to make their own choices, assess risk themselves, and live with the consequences of their actions.

That bird has long flown. Nobody is expected to take responsibility for anything and someone else is to blame for everything.

There are now no longer any events that just happen as part of everyday life for which no-one is to blame.

A mate of mine was fined for careless driving after hitting a pedestrian crossing at a red light because the judge reckoned he had plenty of time to have noticed the guy was looking at his phone and was likely to step out.

Another mate, who would be the first to moan about such things, sued the council when he tripped on a dodgy pavement and hurt his knee.

As for kids.......let's not go there.

Well unfortunately you can't have it both ways.

Bearing in mind I said this

BKS said:
I think we need to consider whether we want to live in a society that looks to protect people and try to reduce their exposure to risk, or do we want to live in a society where people get to make their own choices, assess risk themselves, and live with the consequences of their actions.

And context is everything.

If you say no to the bold option, then you are advocating being risk managed by government, and effectively being treated like a child. It might reduce other people's ability to do things you don't like, but equally it is just as likely to see you being prevented from doing things you like.

Back
Top Bottom