What's new

Snus ban challenge

jessica

Achiever
New Nicotine Alliance goes to the High Court to challenge the ban on snus

The NNA is going to the High Court on 26th January to ask for permission to act as an independent intervenor in the Swedish Match application to challenge the ban on snus. The case is brought against the UK implementing law, Regulation 17 of the Tobacco and Related Products Regulations, which bans snus. UK law implements the EU law (TPD) so if the court decides there is a case it then goes to the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU).

NNA is asking the Court to be allowed to make its own submission in order to provide a consumer perspective on the ban and of the benefits that will follow if the ban is lifted.

There’s a lot more detail in NNA’s blog post, here:
http://nnalliance.org/blog/158-nna-goes-to-the-high-court-to-challenge-the-ban-on-snus

Last edited:
I remember my first snus experience.

Thunder extra strong portion. Nicotine overdose!

Great for flying long haul and great for taking your mind off the fags, but addictive themselves!

I remember my first snus experience.

Thunder extra strong portion. Nicotine overdose!

Great for flying long haul and great for taking your mind off the fags, but addictive themselves!

I tried it for the first time the other day, I think it was a mild one - definitely a lot smoother than a Nicorette. Is snus particularly addictive? There must be studies on that somewhere - if I find one I'll post it here.

Snus is very addictive. Nicotine in a teabag

Skoal snus is very tasty, Jacobsen was a good brand with strong flavours.

I like the portions, not so keen on the putty like stuff.

Kodiak wintergreen or straight American dip is where it's at though, but it's all nasty shit you're tucking up in your gums.

Here's a FAQ on snus, just written by Professor Gerry Stimson, NNA's Chair. It's clear and well written and has some good links in it too.

Snus facts

Is snus an appropriate and acceptable harm reduction product?
Snus fulfils the criteria for a tobacco harm reduction product. It is a low risk way of using nicotine and delivers acceptable doses to those who use it. In countries in which it is allowed it is popular and has contributed to declines in smoking and smoking related diseases.

What is snus?
Snus is a moist, smokeless powdered tobacco. It is sold as a loose powder or pre-packaged in a small sachet (a bit like a mini tea bag). It contains ground tobacco, salt and may contain food-grade smoke aroma flavourings, such as citrus, bergamot, juniper, herb or floral flavours. Most Scandinavian snus is produced in Sweden where it is regulated as food under the Swedish Food Act. The nicotine content varies among brands.

How does snus differ from other oral tobaccos?
Snus is a smokeless tobacco. Unlike some other smokeless tobacco types, Swedish snus is not fermented and is pasteurised, which inhibits the growth of bacteria that help the formation of tobacco-specific nitrosamines (an important group of carcinogens in tobacco products). Snus is refrigerated in order to inhibit the growth of toxins.

How is snus used?
Snus is placed between the upper lip and gum. The nicotine is released into the saliva, with the rate of release affected by the amount of saliva. New users experiment (titrate) to find the best rate of nicotine release. http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Snus

Is there a quality standard for snus?
The Gothiatek standard, a voluntary quality standard for snus products, has been introduced. This has maximum levels for constituents, including nitrosamines, metals, nitrite, agrochemicals, mycotoxins and aldehydes.

Is snus safe and are there any long-term health effects?
Recent reviews suggest that snus is considered by scientists as 95%, and possibly closer to 99%, less risky than smoking.

Read more at: http://nnalliance.org/blog/162-snus-facts

Spend a lot of time in Sweden and Norway and used to do a lot of snus before I started vaping... Still use snus on flights..Will be back in sweden next month so will be stocking up.. You can keep it long term in the freezer without it going off... Skruff Tranbar (cranberry) was my go to daily dose..
, Jacobsen
Watermelon by this lot is insanely good..

Back
Top Bottom