What's new

On the phone to PayPal - misinformation it seems

Colonelboom

Vendor
I just got off the phone to PayPal when asking about adding an extra service to my account and was told by the person on the phone (not word for word, but close)

"You may know that there has been a recent change in ecigarette legislation that may affect your use of a virtual terminal and paypal account. The laws have changed about ecigs and products which would then fall outside of PayPal's terms and conditions for these particular services. Not that I am saying you would be refused but the new legislation will mean that businesses like yours may not be able to use PayPal for your transactions"

So, this new legislation that has recently been brought in - they know something we don't it seems.
As per usual, there is the mumbo jumbo filtered down to these companies without any basis, I asked her which law as I am quite active in the industry and aware of all changes made so far, none of which as yet have made a difference to current legislation that would affect a business like this. I was just told that they have been informed that laws have changed and that it is affecting accounts.

What utter guff - as usual.

I just got off the phone to PayPal when asking about adding an extra service to my account and was told by the person on the phone (not word for word, but close)

"You may know that there has been a recent change in ecigarette legislation that may affect your use of a virtual terminal and paypal account. The laws have changed about ecigs and products which would then fall outside of PayPal's terms and conditions for these particular services. Not that I am saying you would be refused but the new legislation will mean that businesses like yours may not be able to use PayPal for your transactions"

So, this new legislation that has recently been brought in - they know something we don't it seems.
As per usual, there is the mumbo jumbo filtered down to these companies without any basis, I asked her which law as I am quite active in the industry and aware of all changes made so far, none of which as yet have made a difference to current legislation that would affect a business like this. I was just told that they have been informed that laws have changed and that it is affecting accounts.

What utter guff - as usual.

Only a matter of time before Paypal pull out of ecigarette Vendors accounts like in the States.

Only a matter of time before Paypal pull out of ecigarette Vendors accounts like in the States.

Just ludicrous though in my opinion. Nothing has changed in the industry and so nothing should be affecting accounts in good standing until something does. I can only hope it is misinformation and NOT what these people are being told as truth as it will affect many, many people.

I think they will have a harder time here to be honest, but they will eventually just to be across the board...there isnt any new legislation on ecigs yet and even if there were it wouldnt come into place for another 2 yrs or so, paypal is jumping the gun.

agin i think this is where the stigma of the word cigarettes hits home. If vaping devices were called PVD's ( personal vaping devices ) or something similar it may ( or may not ) have made a difference.
i guess if Paypal does decide to pull the plug on ecigs that would be the only way to go to get around it by renaming everything much like the whole ebay loophole with people listing them as shisha pens.

Paypal is easy and conveinient as a buyer, and being a knob when it comes to buying online, its easy.....what other method can i use? I really dont fancy having to go through putting my acc no, sort code, card exp date everytime i buy online (as well as security number) plus the fact i very rarely have the card on me. Is there another alternative?

Sent From My Galaxy S4

Sounds to me like we need a new payment method.
What's out there does anyone know.

can we share this?

At least it'll mean I'll be able to buy a flavour off a juice off a vendor I'm currently unable to buy from :D

Is there a choice apart from paypal....??

I'm about to set up a separate account (from the one I use to buy stuff) to sell some stuff on the net, Paypal seems to be recognised worldwide as a trusted payment system, but there are others which are well less known.
Again, I can understand why customers are lothe to give out credit card details to "Someone" on the net...I certainly wouldn't do it unless I knew they were bona fide traders...

The choice is usually PayPal , NoChex or a number of payment processors but as said PayPal is convenient and those that have it can just link a card and purchase with ease. I am calling to investigate this further anyway so any news I will update this thread.

Back
Top Bottom