What's new

MEP and MP Letters

Another Tory on board

Dear Mr Davis

Thank you for your email regarding the issue of electronic cigarettes. I have had a number of constituents raising similar concerns about the proposed reduction of nicotine in e-cigs and effectively banning them in the EU.

As you may know my stance towards the European Union is not one of further integration, quite the opposite. Nor am I in favour of banning things which are ultimately an issue of personal choice. Many, if not all, of those who use e-cigs will have taken the time to learn about the product before using them. These choices should be respected especially if it leads to a healthier alternative to normal cigarettes. I am concerned by the theory that this ban is coming after pressure from tobacco companies and if that is the case then questions must be asked of the European Commissioner for Health and Consumer Affairs, Tonio Borg.

The Commission’s proposal will result in nicotine thresholds which will be insufficient for individuals who use these e-cigs as a means of quitting tobacco cigarettes all together or as a replacement for them. This could very well send ex-tobacco smokers back to square one therefore making the proposal completely counter-productive.

I have always been opposed to legislation which seeks to control and nanny the British public from an unaccountable seat in Brussels. Laws which govern Britain must be made in Britain and it is for that reason that I have been campaigning so strongly for a referendum on our relationship with the EU. As your MEP, I will be voting against this proposal because it is about personal freedom as well as personal health.

Yours sincerely

David Campbell Bannerman MEP
Conservative Member of the European Parliament for the East of England

www.dcbmep.org
Twitter: @DCBMEP

Personally I think that is one of the best replies ever.

Do you really think these people are paying attention finally?

Here's a eurosceptic, wants out of the EU.
I see the EU as good for trade and free movement of citizens but they shouldn't meddle with things that aren't a part of their competence.
Trouble is we have a secret society called the WHO telling all countries want to do and the only members of the tobacco side are big pharma and fanatical ANTZ.
How do you fight big commerce that rules the world?

I know, that sounds like paranoid conspiracy theory, but look at Borg.

I think in reality, we have a government full of the ignorant and arrogant who will listen to any unproven bullsh1t that grand sounding organisations will tell them over the practical experience of the individual and a very clean market record when it comes to serious untoward incidents involving hideous things like nicotine and electronic cigarettes.

They're the WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION - they must know what they're talking about, right? Look at the last swine flu pandemic. I could tell you stories that would make you weep hot tears of disbelief, honestly I could - and all caused by the WHO. :12:

I would be interested to know how much funding the Tory Party gets from the pharmaceutical industry - it gets about £12M pa from the City and look at the kid gloves treatment it has received after its huge debacle and how the rest of us are having to pick up the bill.

Back
Top Bottom