What's new

Have you seen the E-Lites TV ad yet?

Actually, there is some evidence that constant exposure of children to propylene glycol might cause a significantly higher incidence of asthma.
However, this was a swedish study about release of compounds from wall paint in children rooms.
This is the only piece of study I found to date which migh be indicative of the effects of long term exposure in children. So, as random as Joe Bloggs might be, he might have a point in this case.
Personally, I never vape in my kid room, ventilate the house quite often and tend and vape full VG.
Expecially with rebuldable atties the vapour tends and saturate a small room pretty much instantly.
Could you provide the link to the study please McAldo ? That's the first I have heard of any study linking PG to asthma and begs the question regarding the components of inhalers.

At the moment, E-Lites are advertising every half and hour or so on Absolute Radio and it is very explicit as to what is being sold. I'll try and find an example, or try and audio-grab it and post it up. It seriously feels as though every third advert is an E-Lites ad - which can't be a bad thing.

So the study couldn't pin down exposure JUST to PG being linked to asthma?

Strange that because its used in asthma inhalers and there have been loads of studies on PG alone. Inhalation never really caused much more than a dry mouth and sore throat.

As having 2 kids who were asthmatics and now dont have it since we quit smoking...Im finding this one a lil hard to chew.

At the moment, E-Lites are advertising every half and hour or so on Absolute Radio and it is very explicit as to what is being sold. I'll try and find an example, or try and audio-grab it and post it up. It seriously feels as though every third advert is an E-Lites ad - which can't be a bad thing.

Gearing up and raising awareness! I stick a PoTV card on every E-lites display I see :)

Glycol Ethers = ethylene glycol + combined with propylene Glycol to = PGE's

Ill be more interested when they break it down between the two substances. From reading, it appears that any negative effect, is more likely to come from the ehtylene more so than the PG. I have read hundreds of pages on PG studies and inhalation on long term basis always resulted in sore throat/dry mouth and nothing more serious.

Glycol Ethers = ethylene glycol + combined with propylene Glycol to = PGE's

Ill be more interested when they break it down between the two substances. From reading, it appears that any negative effect, is more likely to come from the ehtylene more so than the PG. I have read hundreds of pages on PG studies and inhalation on long term basis always resulted in sore throat/dry mouth and nothing more serious.
Plus having just ploughed all the way through that the summary contains the comment that this study warrants confirmation from a larger one ( or words to that affect). PG has long been known to be 'generally safe'. Like just about everything from nuts to wasp stings, it is an allergen for a small minority unfortunately and we all know that asthma can be caused by an allergic reaction. The fact PG is used in inhalers for lung transplant patients and the like Im guessing the number of those affected is minute.

It certainly is just one study, but it does provide some indication about long term, which is rare.
As for inhalers, it's an interesting point. However, dose reaction amounts are probably different when you compare sleeping in a room every night while exposed continuously to a contaminant, as opposed to occasionally taking a toke from an inhaler. In the second case you have a much higher intake in short bursts, in the first exposure is continuous.
Whether one is more effective than the other in respect to some specific effect really depends on the type of substance and the effect.

Then, it's true that the study focussed on a range of contaminants.
It's also interesting that the study muses about whether repainting one of more rooms in the house over the gestation period, with the relative continuous, and more intense, concentration-wise, exposure, might be the determining factor. Rather than continuous but milder exposure after birth.

While the asthma inhaler argument is a good one, I always find the lung transplant one to be quite weak.
People are not given lung transplants and associated therapies because it's 'safe'.
Rather because it's unavoidable, the alternative being sure death.
Therefore, the administrations of substances under that circumstance is not in itself indicative of their safety over the long period. Specific studies might find a correlation in a sense or the other, but the 'it's used for post lung transplant therapy' it's just not an argument, in my opinion.

I would argue that it is flawed though as the PG is mixed with Ethylene Glycol which we dont use in Ecigs. Id be more inclined to agreeing or seeing the possibility if the EG wasnt involved. I have read tremendous amounts of studies on PG and in one where rats, exposed in environments where PG was pumped into the oxygen, there were no issues found. Over a course of months of continuous inhalation 24hrs a day. In humans exposed to similar conditions of continuous for hours, the most prevalent complaint was sore throat and dry mouth. i posted the links to the studies somewhere on here just a few weeks ago, they were a collective of studies from the 1940's to present as well.

Back
Top Bottom