What's new

Giving up the fags won't actually prevent Cancer

crustyfolker

Veteran
Just seen on the news about some research on tobacco smokings effects on mutations of cells. It said that it caused irreversable mutation of dna in cells mostly in the lungs but some in the larynx,mouth and also a few in the bladder and liver. It spoke of a women who had given up smoking 17 years but had this year developed lung cancer due to the mutations caused in the past. This is a scary thing for us vapers who have give up smoking as all it does is lower the amount of DNA mutations that can cause cancerous cells from growing. The mutations may already have caused a problem which will appear in the future.

Pretty much my grandad. Gave up smoking 20 years prior and still ended up with lung cancer. He thankfully managed to beat it which he may not have done had he still continued to smoke.

Can't say it's really a shock , can't have a fag glued permanently to my lips for thirty years and not think it's done any damage

Not to sound blasé, but two important points to note:
1} The old smoker's adage is still true; modern life basically gives you cancer. Breathing in a city. Eating processed food. Eating unprocessed but chemically sprayed food. Walking in the countryside. Drinking alcohol. Drinking soft drinks. Ad infinitum.
2} We're all dead anyway. Not that cancer's a nice way to go, not as nice as going peacefully in your sleep at age 120 after a game of squash and a marathon sex session, but the fact is, something at some point has marked your (and my) cards.

For me, it's about quality of life rather than quantity. I don't want to be in my ever approaching 50's and barely able to play with my daughter because of COPD, emphysema, high blood pressure etc. Smoking was my main route into all those, so I vape.

Sorry to rant a bit, but it's too easy to fall into the trap of thinking we're immortal because we are now (relatively) healthy.

Sadly it's a fact of life that just living puts you at risk of cancer. My Mum died of cervical cancer when I was 8 and she never smoked.
Let's face it,none of us are going to get out of this alive,are we?

I don't think any of us believe that we're immortal or immune to cancer just coz we stopped smoking. I started vaping shortly after my dad was dx'd with advanced lung cancer which has caused secondary cancer in the liver too. He'd been quit smoking for over 20 years prior to this but has also worked in industries dealing with asbestos and other nasties - the specific type of scarring caused by that are plain to see on his lung scans :(

As Lord Grim points out its about improving the quality of life - I've only been quit a few months and I already feel the improvements from doing so. I suffer from MS and I used to use this as an excuse to carry on smoking - like whats the point in worrying about cancer I got MS anyway. I knew this was really dumb even while I was saying it to justify my habit but that's what smokers do I guess. Eventually I admitted to myself that I have issues due to MS, I can't change that or do much to control it. Smoking was something I *could* take charge of...after all why make life harder than it needs to be? :)

The info thats been gained by the study is really good though i think. Maybe with this info better treatments can be found for all cancers. Not to mention the facts about the different mutations could prevent younger people taking up smoking. I started vaping almost 2 years back to prevent further damage caused by 28 years of smoking combined with 35 plus years of type1 diabetes.
The change has made some difference to my health no doubt i would have eventually lost a leg which is now still possible but it has less of a chance. there are things that obviously can't be undone now.
Tobacco should be a banned sunstance it like many drugs are especially when 1 drug is a proven help medicinally which tobacco is not.

Being an organic life form causes cancer, luck is by far the main causative factor, poison is organic and natural, no substance should be banned, my body, my decison, nuff said.

Well, ok, maybe make posession of plutonium illegal... but thats as far as I'd go :)

hopfully this info will help discourage first time smokers, I know for a long time whilst trying to quit I always felt comfort in the stats " after x amount of months heart attacks are less, chance of cancer is less etc...... knowing smoking will screw you full stop is a bigger deterrent than oh when you quit you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom