What's new

Electronic Cigarettes Cause Damage to Lungs, Study Finds

I don't see the point of testing e-cigs in isolation. Surely the useful tests should always be a comparison with cigarettes. Show me the equivalent figures for someone smoking tobacco or they're just meaningless numbers.

There's so much info left out of these papers. What strength nicotine was used? What was the liquid base?

See Dick Puddlecotes blog elsewhere (social Networking) on the forum. He sees all these reports as part of a new organised anti ecig campaign. It makes a lot of sense. Enough shit is thrown and it sticks

Take a look at the comments in the Daily Mail "article." It is clear people are not buying it. There is so much disinformation in the whole article it is utterly shocking but to be expected from a website like the Daily Mail. I was quite surprised by the amount of positive comments towards vaping because usually the website is full of utter fools. But even they can all see where all this is going.

That Dick Puddlecote blog is excellent and he points out that it was conducted with a sample of just 32 people. That is such a small sample it's not even worthy of considering.

Another utterly superb blog is called Underdogs Bite Upwards and he makes a very good point about vapers that have become anti-smokers, http://underdogsbiteupwards.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/one-of-us-one-of-us/

He is absolutely right of course, as an ex-smoker I am not an anti-smoker and never will be, it is peoples choice to do what they do, I support everyone's right to do whatever they like (within the law.) The demonization of smokers is now moving onto vapers. Smokers and vapers need to stick together on this.

With the way that vaping is becoming ever more popular year-on-year the government are going to absolutely s**t themselves a few years from now, then the fun will really start. Although e-cigs have been around for a few years only now are we starting to see articles like this. Strap yourselves in because in the near future it's going to be a very rough ride.

Couldn't agree more with all of that. We should all remember that if ecigs didn't exist most of us would still be smokers stubbornly sticking two fingers up to the nanny state or else riding the smoke/ NRT government gravy train. It's illogical to be anti smoking.

I used to think Puddlecote was a slightly barmy conspiracy theorist but over the last two years have come to respect and agree with most of his musings. Recommended reading.

I think by spring we may know what we are going to be up against

Absolutely Mark, Dick Puddlecote is absolutely spot-on. There are a whole heap of pro-smoking/anti nanny state blogs like his about, he's a daily read of mine, along with Underdogs Bite Upwards, cfrankdavis, Velvet Glove Iron Fist and Nannying Tyrants. These are concerned individuals who post some excellent stuff. You can see by what they post just what a con-game Tobacco Control is.

Not sure what you mean by "by spring" mate but as they make nothing off of e-cigs and only money from cigs or non e-cig cessation aids we are soon going to become public enemy number one. Remember, it was never about health.

What annoys me also is that people (non vapers and idiots mainly) still think that when you breath out you breath out smoke. We know this is untrue but it is worrying how they keep on saying that. It's obvious why they do it (to try and associate it with smoking) but it is very worrying all the same.

1) Spring is the anticipated MRHA final report and likely attack on ecigs. Whatever you think of the coalition government it is a common view that under Labour the MHRA would have had its way by now.

See here http://www.eccauk.org/index.php/uk-sitrep-2.html

Its a long article but scroll down to The Next Attack if that's easier

2) I hate Big Brother but I happen to be off work and caught a piece earlier. It showed Martin Kemp, ex Spandau Ballet , complaining about use of ecigs. He said it was disrespectful to blow smoke about in someone's bedroom whether the smoke comes from a cigarette or an electric cigarette. It's what we are up against. It's called ill nformed ignorance.

Last edited:
1) Spring is the anticipated MRHA final report and likely attack on ecigs. Whatever you think of the coalition government it is a common view that under Labour the MHRA would have had its way by now.

See here http://www.eccauk.org/index.php/uk-sitrep-2.html

Its a long article but scroll down to The Next Attack if that's easier

2) I hate Big Brother but I happen to be off work and caught a piece earlier. It showed Martin Kemp, ex Spandau Ballet , complaining about use of ecigs. He said it was disrespectful to blow smoke about in someone's bedroom whether the smoke comes from a cigarette or an electric cigarette. It's what we are up against. It's called I'll informed ignorance.

Thanks for the link matey, makes very interesting reading, let's see what happens.

Kemp has always struck me as a bit of an idiot, that pretty much confirms it.

You'd think that Martin Kemp was old enough to be able to control what goes on in his bedroom by now, surely? :p

Yes, an older friend of mine and his missus took great delight in producing the Daily Mail clipping for me to read in the pub the other night. I dutifully read said rubbish. then taking a vape on my PV, told them it was the least scientific 'science' article I'd read for quite a while! I pointed out the small number of 'test cases', no evidence of long-term research and that I imagined it was a test before and after 'quickie' set of data. I also pointed out that nicotine isn't directly related to cancer and that was a new one on me. I went on to mention all the other research that was going on and how strange this hadn't arisen before.

After pointing out the irregularities in their 'argument' and mentioning that if you're going to provide me (a Physicist) with an argument, I'd at least want to see some proper facts and figures, I got the reply "Well, that's what it says in there so it must be true".

I sometimes despair for a large number of the so-called informed people on this planet, if informed means 'believe whatever you see written down'!

Well let's face it, the mail has got to know far more about these things than a physicist :) there's no so blind as will not see! I don even bother arguing the point now, I just politely nod whilst smugly sitting there knowing which of us is healthier. Nobody is trying to say vaping is actively good for you, but at least let's look at the evidence in a sensible manner!

Back
Top Bottom