What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Electronic Cigarettes Cause Damage to Lungs, Study Finds

K

KulrMeStoopid

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-09-02/e-cigarettes-not-tied-to-risk-of-heart-disease-in-study

Electronic cigarettes cause damage to the lungs, according to a study that challenges earlier research suggesting the devices to quit smoking are harmless.

E-cigarettes, electronic tubes that simulate the effect of smoking by producing nicotine vapor, caused an immediate increase in airway resistance, lasting for 10 minutes, making it harder for participants to breathe, researchers from the University of Athens said in a study presented at the European Respiratory Society annual meeting in Vienna today.

The researchers used a lung function test to observe airway resistance in 32 participants who used an e-cigarette for 10 minutes. Among the healthy subjects who had never smoked, airway resistance rose to an average 206 percent from 182 percent; among smokers with normal lung function, the reading rose to an average 220 percent from 176 percent.
“We do not yet know whether unapproved nicotine delivery products, such as e-cigarettes, are safer than normal cigarettes, despite marketing claims that they are less harmful,” Christina Gratziou, one of the study authors, said in a statement. “This research helps us to understand how these products could be potentially harmful.”

More research is needed to understand whether the effect on the lungs is long-lasting, Gratziou said.

Not Alternative

Gratziou’s study supports the European Respiratory Society’s position on e-cigarettes and other emerging nicotine delivery products, Klaus Rabe, the group’s president, told reporters today in Vienna.

“ERS does not classify e-cigarettes as a safe alternative to smoking nor does it consider them an approved tobacco cessation tool,” Rabe reiterated from the society’s statement in February. “ERS recommends following effective smoking cessation treatment guidelines based on clinical evidence which do not advocate the use of such products.”

The study follows a separate paper presented last month by researchers at the Athens-based Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center at the European Society of Cardiology annual meeting that said e-cigarettes prompted no adverse effects on cardiac function.

Previous studies have found that the electronic devices would have to be smoked daily for four to 12 months to achieve the levels of carcinogenic nitrosamines that are present in a single tobacco cigarette, said the researchers for that paper. Industry-wide e-cigarette sales this year are likely to double from $250 million in 2011, according to UBS AG.

Psychological Effects

Electronic cigarettes, which mimic the look and feel of traditional versions without generating smoke and ash, are one of the few smoking alternatives that provide users with their chemical need for nicotine and reproduce the psychological effect of holding and smoking a cigarette, the Onassis researchers said.

Makers of the battery-powered devices include Lorillard Inc. (LO), a Greensboro, North Carolina-based producer of standard cigarettes, which acquired Blu Ecigs for $135 million in April. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has yet to impose rules on the testing and production of e-cigarettes.

About 2.5 million people use e-cigarettes in the U.S., according to an estimate by the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association.

To contact the reporter on this story: Makiko Kitamura in London at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Phil Serafino at [email protected].

I find this very interesting considering many of us have reported better lung functions since switching, ease of breathing has increased....

They left out a core factor in this test. They tested, non smokers, smokers, but did not test 100% vapers.

I think had they included the last lot in the testing, their results would have been very different.

Its no wonder people are reluctant to give vaping a go when there's so much conflicting opinion out there, my lungs feel much better and my chest doesn't feel clogged and i don't have a cough, folk should listen to actual vapers rather than the media cus half the time its bs

“ERS recommends following effective smoking cessation treatment"

0f course it does

With this completely 100% WRONG quote

It also trots out the usual 'nicotine is linked to cancer' mantra. It's only linked to cancer because the delivery method has been through burning tobacco you ignoramus

As always no real Facts Yeah China do Make most of the Ecigs but they still need a C E mark to be sold
and My lung function has vastly Improved so its all a load of B******S as usual

i don't know how ppl can Justify Printing this but the way most of it comes out its not surprising

Yeah Promoting Cecssesion Drugs has anyone worked out where they get their funding

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if long term use of ecigs didn't cause adverse effects on the body ..... But it needs to be put in context .... long term inhaling of air causes adverse effects on the body.

But like everything it needs to be looked at in a less narrow minded way ... stop breathing and you drop dead ... stop using ecigs and continue smoking and the effect is a slower version .. my money is of the opinion that the use of ecigs is a lesser evil.

To put lesser evil into context, I believe everything you do harms your body... How about some tests on long term use of lollipops, chewing gum or whatever else people relax with instead of their cigs/ecigs ? This should include stuff used by those that have never smoked for relaxation. :strawberry:

Back
Top Bottom