What's new

E-liquid Flavourings, are they at risk?

sounds like it's not thought out.

so you are now not allowed to buy flavoured e-liquid.

step 1) buy unflavoured e liquid
step 2) buy flavouring
step 3) mix

done. queue shops selling unflavoured e liquid and a flavouring bottle see short-fills.

they can't ban buying flavouring separately because they're used in all sorts of things.

It's a good point but what if you're looking to transition from smoking to vaping. Is bland e-liquid going to be encouraging enough for someone to make the switch and is the effort to make your own flavoured e-liquid something people will do?

It's a good point but what if you're looking to transition from smoking to vaping. Is bland e-liquid going to be encouraging enough for someone to make the switch and is the effort to make your own flavoured e-liquid something people will do?

people already make their own flavoured e liquid, it's a massive market! it's very rare i buy any premixed liquid at all. pre TPD we had big bottles of premixed eliquid, TPD came in, no more big bottles of e liquid! well except we just adapted to the law (as we did with reduced volume tanks by selling a bigger glass separately or adapters) and now sell bottles pre-filled with a correct amount of flavouring and pg/vg which come with a separate nicotine bottle you just squeeze in, shake and you're done, takes 10 seconds.

people already make their own flavoured e liquid, it's a massive market! it's very rare i buy any premixed liquid at all. pre TPD we had big bottles of premixed eliquid, TPD came in, no more big bottles of e liquid! well except we just adapted to the law (as we did with reduced volume tanks by selling a bigger glass separately or adapters) and now sell bottles pre-filled with a correct amount of flavouring and pg/vg which come with a separate nicotine bottle you just squeeze in, shake and you're done, takes 10 seconds.

Again true, but what about new vapers or those looking to transition? This is something they may consider in the future but not something they would immediately take up, when you first begin you typically explore your flavour preferences and then start to experiment. Surely taking the flavourings away would be a mistake especially as it could affect beginner vapers.

Again true, but what about new vapers or those looking to transition? This is something they may consider in the future but not something they would immediately take up, when you first begin you typically explore your flavour preferences and then start to experiment. Surely taking the flavourings away would be a mistake especially as it could affect beginner vapers.
That is where forums play a huge part in educating new vapers.

That is where forums play a huge part in educating new vapers.

Is it necessarily something people will look to. For instance, I've got older friends and family members who aren't familiar with forums and what about those who don't wish to sign-up or even know about the forums? They're all valid points that I agree with but position yourself as a new vaper, just getting to grips with using the device, experimenting with typical fruit flavours, unsure whether it will work for them etc. The prospect of creating your own e-liquid flavours could seem daunting.

Is it necessarily something people will look to. For instance, I've got older friends and family members who aren't familiar with forums and what about those who don't wish to sign-up or even know about the forums? They're all valid points that I agree with but position yourself as a new vaper, just getting to grips with using the device, experimenting with typical fruit flavours, unsure whether it will work for them etc. The prospect of creating your own e-liquid flavours could seem daunting.

And there lays the issue...

All a flavouring ban will do is put off people wanting to stop using tobacco and moving onto vaping, missing out on all the health and financial benefits that brings. I know many new vapers, the exploration of the vast variety in flavours is one of the more enjoyable parts of vaping to them. I convinced my Mother into vaping after 30+ years of smoking by enticing her with a Rhubarb liquid, she hasn't had a cigarette for over 2 years now.

Us 'old school' vapers who mix and knew life before the TPD will find the work arounds. Flavour ban would be annoying but not the end of the world to us... Could cost current smokers years off their life though.

While the likeliness of flavourings being banned in the UK is low the chatter it's caused is something to look at, it's more about questioning why flavourings are important to vapers and not necessarily a 'news' article that states flavourings are going to be banned. It's fair to say that the ins and outs of vaping are only really known by those who vape or have industry knowledge. It's about breaking the barriers and giving supportive answers to the public from vapers who have seen the positives of vaping.
Farsalinos has produced two studies on this and made numerous presentations, one was submitted to the FDA this year as part of its "fact-finding" exercise

Plus, Clive Bates is linked to a couple of public letters on the subject.

I'd link but it'd mean hunting them out and I'm busy writing stuff of my own atm ;)

There's no immediate risk, but obviously there's always a 'risk' that anything could happen. I'm not sure who would support that in the UK though. I don't see government or medical professionals even entertaining the idea.... or even tobacco and pharma for that matter. I saw a new nicorette spray thing advertised yesterday that was berry flavored and tobacco companies are heavily invested in vaping now. ... so who would be calling for it?

Farsalinos has produced two studies on this and made numerous presentations, one was submitted to the FDA this year as part of its "fact-finding" exercise

Plus, Clive Bates is linked to a couple of public letters on the subject.

I'd link but it'd mean hunting them out and I'm busy writing stuff of my own atm ;)

I've read through some of Clive Bates stuff but given the restrictions and this being something that's likely to be discussed at some point it is worth getting people's opinions on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom