What's new

E-cigs on the NHS - BBC News

The tobacco industry must be worried about all that money they are losing. Since everyone is jumping off the sinking ship..that is smoking. With people switching to vaping. When my mum smoked she used to say smokers pay the highest taxes.

Yes, but they want to get the celeb junkies and as many other people as possible so they need a range of other stories as well. Vaping seems to polarise opinion so it is a good story whether it is positive or negative from our perspective, it will generate strong feelings in readers and strong feelings especially anger leads to folk posting links all over the web.

Maybe. I don’t know though, I would tend to think that the only people interested would be vapers, maybe a small percentage of smokers (who could have views on either side), and those weird anti smoking/nicotine temperance society killjoy fetishists.

Positive in some respects.....

however I think this might be the first step to banning everything that isn't registered and has a medicinal licence as a quit smoking aid, it's exactly what I was talking about in the other thread.

^^ That is my concern. I am hoping that it is just my 'expect the worst' mentality rearing it's head though.

The article I saw made a particular mention of vaping for psychiatric patients. At one time smoking was banned on psychiatric wards, yet people in prison were free to smoke because the prison was classed as their 'home'. I thought that was disgusting, considering people on psychiatric wards are in complete crisis, to expect them to give up smoking as well is just cruel :12:

A lot of psychiatric wards have single rooms for patients. I don't see why individuals shouldn't be able to vape in those. I don't think vaping on 6 or 8 bed wards is a good idea though.

Last edited:
Maybe. I don’t know though, I would tend to think that the only people interested would be vapers, maybe a small percentage of smokers (who could have views on either side), and those weird anti smoking/nicotine temperance society killjoy fetishists.

I do not do facebook but I have seen quite a few reports from people on here saying that they get sent links to every negative vaping story going.

A lot of psychiatric wards have single rooms for patients. I don't see why individuals shouldn't be able to vape in those. I don't think vaping on 6 or 8 bed wards is a good idea though.

The reason that they’ll use to justify this is health and safety. Despite people being free to take mobile phones and other consumer electronic items into psychiatric wards, they say that they worry e-cigarettes might explode and cause a fire.

I suspect that this is because they can’t be honest and say that they’d can’t allow it indoors because it has too many associations with smoking and that “public opinion” says smoking and anything to do with it are evil and must be banned everywhere.

Although, vaping is allowed on hospital grounds in my health board area, which is a positive thing, of course.

I do not do facebook but I have seen quite a few reports from people on here saying that they get sent links to every negative vaping story going.

But that would be from other people with an interest in vaping, surely?

I don’t do facebook either but I would imagine if you are on there and have an interest in vaping then vaping awareness groups will be trawling the internet and posting everything they find, for the perusal of other likeminded users and friends.

Facebook doesn’t send the links itself I don’t think, they come from people i your friend list, groups you like etc I think.​

I don’t do facebook either but I would imagine if you are on there and have an interest in vaping then vaping awareness groups will be trawling the internet and posting everything they find, for the perusal of other likeminded users and friends.

Facebook doesn’t send the links itself I don’t think, they come from people i your friend list, groups you like etc I think.​

On facebook, folks will have friends that don't vape or indeed vape, we post on here the media bad stuff so it gets picked up by someone somewhere...thats all it takes ...to appear on a friend or a friend of a friends news feed and I will see it.
One does not have to have a specific interest in vaping to post on facebook an article re vaping...they are simply posting a media news article from say the BBC...to their timeline...and boom it goes everywhere.

The reason that they’ll use to justify this is health and safety. Despite people being free to take mobile phones and other consumer electronic items into psychiatric wards, they say that they worry e-cigarettes might explode and cause a fire.

There is a h&s concern with charging cables (a person can harm themselves with one). They are taken off psych patients at my local, and if you need a phone charging, it's done at the nursing station.
The psych unit here has a private walled garden now where people can vape or smoke. The first time I went there in 2003 it had a huge toxic smoking room indoors. I don't especially see why people should need to vape indoors if they're able to move around, as long as they are able to vape (or smoke) if they need to. I was told that the complete ban didn't last long ... because people who were already distressed and agitated became much more so: I wonder why? :25:

There is a h&s concern with charging cables (a person can harm themselves with one). They are taken off psych patients at my local, and if you need a phone charging, it's done at the nursing station.
The psych unit here has a private walled garden now where people can vape or smoke. The first time I went there in 2003 it had a huge toxic smoking room indoors. I don't especially see why people should need to vape indoors if they're able to move around, as long as they are able to vape (or smoke) if they need to. I was told that the complete ban didn't last long ... because people who were already distressed and agitated became much more so: I wonder why? :25:

Its sadly even worse when the ward is on "lock down".....then its a smoke or a vape usually on the hour every hour, all just adds to the stress of being in a Hospital environment.

Back
Top Bottom